Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by AAmbass
I've tried searching google and the forum for information about when and why upgrades clear early, and I have not found good information--apologies if this has been asked and answered many (many) times. I'm a Plat Pro who purchased an economy ticket on a domestic route that gets free upgrades and where there is often good availability (LAX - LAS). I used to be under the impression that upgrades cleared 72 hours in advance for Platinum Pro (though upgrade clearing guidance seems to be gone from any AA page). In this case, it is now less than 72 hours before departure and my upgrade hasn't cleared. There are ~6 seats left in first class.

Can someone provide an overview on when and why upgrades do and do not clear early?
The unlimited domestic upgrade (UDU) could clear as early as 72 hours, which does not mean it will clear at T-72. Seats left in first class do not represent first class availability(Could be ticket purchased but seat not selected), you'll need to check expert flyer for the availability.

See more discussion on this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...questions.html
Old May 1, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA
Thank you for the response. I was actually hoping for more information as to when they do clear generally, as even though I'm not using expertflyer I can see availability if I try to purchase the flight (and no warnings come up about limited seats as they sometimes do). Or are you saying that because it hasn't cleared that all seats are purchased? If not, why wouldn't this have cleared at T-72? Or is it just totally arbitrary?
Old May 1, 2018, 1:36 pm

Thank you for the response. I was actually hoping for more information as to when they do clear generally, as even though I'm not using expertflyer I can see availability if I try to purchase the flight (and no warnings come up about limited seats as they sometimes do). Or are you saying that because it hasn't cleared that all seats are purchased? If not, why wouldn't this have cleared at T-72? Or is it just totally arbitrary?
There is no "when they do clear generally", it depends on AA's revenues department forecasts, CK and EXP (and PP with higher EQD) ahead of you etc etc. Even if not all seats are sold, AA does not guaranteed it will be released at T-72, and that's where the wording of "as early as" comes from. Basically revenues dept thinks there'll be last minute purchase so no need to release the seats at the moment.

It highly depends on the route and time and season of travel. Let's be patient and you'll be likely to waitlist at the airport.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Be careful about doing partial/false bookings to check availability/view seats, that can have the effect of holding a seat in a temporary reservation for some time if you select the flight. There is a case of someone losing their Advantage account over that in the past for doing so repeatedly.

Checking the seat map under flight information is safer. Go to AA.com -->Plan Travel--> Flight Schedules and notifications. Once you enter your flight info you can see the seatmap. Again it might not indicate tickets sold without seat assignments but it is a bit safer.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by MathMusic
Be careful about doing partial/false bookings to check availability/view seats, that can have the effect of holding a seat in a temporary reservation for some time if you select the flight. There is a case of someone losing their Advantage account over that in the past for doing so repeatedly.

Checking the seat map under flight information is safer. Go to AA.com -->Plan Travel--> Flight Schedules and notifications. Once you enter your flight info you can see the seatmap. Again it might not indicate tickets sold without seat assignments but it is a bit safer.
Not doing false bookings. Just looking at availability of the flight and selecting "seats" as you say.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
There is no "when they do clear generally", it depends on AA's revenues department forecasts, CK and EXP (and PP with higher EQD) ahead of you etc etc. Even if not all seats are sold, AA does not guaranteed it will be released at T-72, and that's where the wording of "as early as" comes from. Basically revenues dept thinks there'll be last minute purchase so no need to release the seats at the moment.

It highly depends on the route and time and season of travel. Let's be patient and you'll be likely to waitlist at the airport.
Thanks again. That makes sense since Friday Vegas trips might often be last minute.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:51 pm

AAmbass, I highly recommend you read through the thread below, if you are getting to the point where you are able to select a seat, you've already created a PNR.

Hayes, USDOT and AA: "fictitious bookings" and checking for upgrade space
Old May 1, 2018, 1:52 pm

Thanks again. That makes sense since Friday Vegas trips might often be last minute.
My last year's JFK - LAS trip were the only trips I didn't get upgraded as EXP. 1 CK had to be seated next to me on my returning trip because all seats were sold.

You'll find even for some less popular routes, you don't get clear ahead of time. For routes involving DFW or other hubs, sometimes the upgrade list is 70% of the flight. So you are right in that it's quite arbitrary. Nobody knows until last minute (no show and domestic F seat is available again, then upgrade after you board).

Not doing false bookings. Just looking at availability of the flight and selecting "seats" as you say.
Unfortunately that's exactly what MathMusic is talking about. The moment you create an itin, a temporary PNR is created. ("I can see availability if I try to purchase the flight")
Old May 1, 2018, 1:58 pm

When I click on "Seats" here, there is no booking being made. All I've done is search a route. I am not selecting a seat. I am just viewing seats after a search.

<redacted>

That's the end of it.

Last edited by JDiver; May 1, 2018 at 2:22 pm Reason: Remove rubbish stream in place of image
Old May 1, 2018, 2:07 pm

Believe it or not, AA's IT holds a seat and creates a booking record for you before you get to the point where you can view the seat map. It's not obvious but that is what they are doing under the hood.

You might notice these temporary bookings briefly showing up in your AA app if you get to that point again. There is a better way of viewing the seat map I referenced above that doesn't require a partial booking to view.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by MathMusic
Believe it or not, AA's IT holds a seat and creates a booking record for you before you get to the point where you can view the seat map. It's not obvious but that is what they are doing under the hood.

You might notice these temporary bookings briefly showing up in your AA app if you get to that point again. There is a better way of viewing the seat map I referenced above that doesn't require a partial booking to view.
That may have been true in the past, but you can look at seat maps *without* doing a partial booking. They're accessible directly from the flight search results by clicking on "seats" for any of the flights shown below. It displays all cabins which is nice when trying to assess upgrade chances.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:51 pm

Hi,

I am travelling American Airlines from ELP-LAX (Embraer 175 Jet) in October in economy to connect with a Qantas business class flight LAX to Australia ( separate ticket).

I am trying to make the connection as seamless as possible and be sure the bags will arrive early on the baggage carousel in Australia.

I have found some info on the internet but am not experienced travelling on American.

Can you please advise me re

The first a/c is a Compass airlines one - will it arrive at the main American terminal or to one of the outlying ones needing a bus transfer etc.

Will I be able to check my bags all the way thru to Australia from PHX?

I am Oneworld Sapphire - Will my 1 hold bag go for free from PHX even if I have a cheap coach seat?

I am Oneworld Sapphire -Will the bags be priority tagged from PHX ?

Thank you very much.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ozflier
Hi,

I am travelling American Airlines from ELP-LAX (Embraer 175 Jet) in October in economy to connect with a Qantas business class flight LAX to Australia ( separate ticket).

I am trying to make the connection as seamless as possible and be sure the bags will arrive early on the baggage carousel in Australia.

I have found some info on the internet but am not experienced travelling on American.

Can you please advise me re

The first a/c is a Compass airlines one - will it arrive at the main American terminal or to one of the outlying ones needing a bus transfer etc.

Will I be able to check my bags all the way thru to Australia from PHX?

I am Oneworld Sapphire - Will my 1 hold bag go for free from PHX even if I have a cheap coach seat?

I am Oneworld Sapphire -Will the bags be priority tagged from PHX ?

Thank you very much.
I don’t really know where you’re starting your trip, ELP or PHX, but:

There is a remote terminal at LAX where you will arrive. From there you will be required to take a bus to Terminal 5 to go landside and recover your bag, as you have separate ticketing - neither AA nor Qantas will through-check your bag under newer policies. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html for further information on this customer-unfriendly policy, in particular reading the Wikipost at the top of the page, and of course give yourself plenty of time for your connection.

Exit, preferably with a trolley unless your bag rolls easily, go left on the roadside to the Tom Bradley International Terminal / TBIT, go up one level, and check in with Qantas there. Process Security, and you will then have access to the very nice oneworld Business Lounge (operated by Qantas).

Your hold bag will, unfortunately, not be able to be checked through. As you have separate tickets,

Last edited by JDiver; May 1, 2018 at 11:12 pm
Old May 1, 2018, 10:49 pm

Thank you .
The options are PHX or ELP.
Sorry to confuse.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ozflier
Thank you .
The options are PHX or ELP.
Sorry to confuse.
No worries.

Mainline you’ll arrive Terminal 5, possibly T-4. Recover your bag at the arrivals carousels at the respective terminal. Regional carriers flying as American Eagle arrive at the remote bus terminal, baggage carousels in T-5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.