Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ventanilla
Thanks a lot, that definitely soothes some nerves

Just one more quick question, since there's not much overhead bin space on these short regional flights, my carry-on will probably be stowed in the hold for the flight and I can pick it up right outside the plane after landing, correct? Or will it be checked through to final destination if that happens? Sorry, I've never taken a flight like this before - here in Australia even short regional flights are usually on much 150+ seater planes.
That depends what type of plane you're on. The current SAN-LAX schedule is a mix of CRJ-700 and E-175. The CRJ overheads are too small for a regular size carry-on, so you have to valet check it...check it at the gate then pick it up right outside the plane after arrival. The E-175 bins will fit a regular carry-on though though, so no valet checking is offered.
JDiver and ventanilla like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:08 pm

Any Lie-Flat F or J class from LAX/DFW to MEX?

Are all the flights just regular reclining seats in front of the curtain? Thanks.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by oaken
Are all the flights just regular reclining seats in front of the curtain? Thanks.
No lie-flat unfortunately for shorter flights like these. However, you'll have access to AC or FL.
oaken likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:22 pm
PRS

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Gold, HHonors Gold
How to find DEN-TPE award options?

I have 259,579 AA points in my account and 134,617 in my wife's AA account. (I also have 138,000 BA Avios points.) Have never redeemed AA/BA points since usually book rewards with Aeroplan.

We want to book up to four economy seats from DEN to TPE (Taiwan) right after school finishes on Dec 21/22, returning on Jan 4 or 5, 2019. I know that AA does not operate flights to TPE so I cannot use the AA website to see award availability. But since there are JA connections via Hong Kong or Tokyo I thought I would be able to search on the BA website. However I do not get any results for DEN-TPE for Avios or even DEN-TPE paid ticket options on BA.com. I can find options DEN-HKG or DEN-Tokyo but mostly bus class. Also see 4 seats HKG-TPE on Cathay Pacific on Dec 20 or 23 for 4500 Avios+tax but not on Dec 21 or Dec 22.

Are there any valid award routings from DEN to TPE and, if so, is there a way for me to identify availability online? I don't have paid access to any award search tool but would consider it for this complicated routing if recommended. Or is my only option to call AA (or BA) and ask them to search for me? If DEN-TPE is not even a possible routing I would consider an option from a nearby departure and/or arrival city and then buy a separate connecting paid ticket.

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by PRS
I have 259,579 AA points in my account and 134,617 in my wife's AA account. (I also have 138,000 BA Avios points.) Have never redeemed AA/BA points since usually book rewards with Aeroplan.

We want to book up to four economy seats from DEN to TPE (Taiwan) right after school finishes on Dec 21/22, returning on Jan 4 or 5, 2019. I know that AA does not operate flights to TPE so I cannot use the AA website to see award availability. But since there are JA connections via Hong Kong or Tokyo I thought I would be able to search on the BA website. However I do not get any results for DEN-TPE for Avios or even DEN-TPE paid ticket options on BA.com. I can find options DEN-HKG or DEN-Tokyo but mostly bus class. Also see 4 seats HKG-TPE on Cathay Pacific on Dec 20 or 23 for 4500 Avios+tax but not on Dec 21 or Dec 22.

Are there any valid award routings from DEN to TPE and, if so, is there a way for me to identify availability online? I don't have paid access to any award search tool but would consider it for this complicated routing if recommended. Or is my only option to call AA (or BA) and ask them to search for me? If DEN-TPE is not even a possible routing I would consider an option from a nearby departure and/or arrival city and then buy a separate connecting paid ticket.

Thanks!
Two possible routings: DEN - LAX - NRT - TPE (AA - JL - JL) or DEN - LAX - HKG - TPE (AA - CX/AA - CX). Since it involves partner award availability, there is nothing other than looking closely on BA if you choose to avoid paid award availability tools. Note that since it's peak season, the availability might be limited.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:57 pm
PRS

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Two possible routings: DEN - LAX - NRT - TPE (AA - JL - JL) or DEN - LAX - HKG - TPE (AA - CX/AA - CX). Since it involves partner award availability, there is nothing other than looking closely on BA if you choose to avoid paid award availability tools. Note that since it's peak season, the availability might be limited.
Thanks for the quick reply! I am guessing the lack of results on BA for these routes reflects limited availability. Which paid tool would you recommend - ExpertFlyer or something else?
Old May 9, 2018, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by PRS
Thanks for the quick reply! I am guessing the lack of results on BA for these routes reflects limited availability. Which paid tool would you recommend - ExpertFlyer or something else?
I'll let someone else comment on EF, as I don't use it for this purpose.

However, it would be extremely lucky/rare to get 4 seats on all segments during that time of the year.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PRS
Thanks for the quick reply! I am guessing the lack of results on BA for these routes reflects limited availability.
Not necessarily.

The ba.com website often has trouble displaying available award itineraries that involve connections from or to AA. Search for each leg individually, making sure to take into account date changes when crossing the International Date Line. If you find available segments for a suitable itinerary, immediately put the AA segment(s) on a free hold at aa.com, note the record locator (PNR), and then call AA to get the CX/JL segments added to the award reservation.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
My wife is 8210 EQM from Gold. We are looking at a trip to Syracuse and I was on Milecalc (dot com) to get some estimates and it comes up as 4952 r/t. Why I'm posting is about EQM earning; if I buy F seats it's double the EQM, right? That 9904 would put her over, but if it's 1.5x like the website shows it's only 7428.

Please confirm I'm reading aa.com correctly and F seats are 2.0 EQM per flown mile?

Also, does the 500 EQM minimum double in F? One of the legs is SYR-PHL which 228mi.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
My wife is 8210 EQM from Gold. We are looking at a trip to Syracuse and I was on Milecalc (dot com) to get some estimates and it comes up as 4952 r/t. Why I'm posting is about EQM earning; if I buy F seats it's double the EQM, right? That 9904 would put her over, but if it's 1.5x like the website shows it's only 7428.

Please confirm I'm reading aa.com correctly and F seats are 2.0 EQM per flown mile?

Also, does the 500 EQM minimum double in F? One of the legs is SYR-PHL which 228mi.
Could you see the fare code? Most likely it will be 2.0 multiplier, but if you booked through an OTA, it might have impact on your EQD, which I assume isn't an issue now.

The 500 EQM min will be double as well. See here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp
"AAdvantage® members have a base of 500 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American and oneworld® airlines (250 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on Basic Economy fares).To calculate final EQMs earned, the multiplier for airline and booking code flown is applied to this base.
EQMs don't include class-of-service bonus miles, elite bonuses, other participant miles, any other AAdvantage® bonus mileage, or miles obtained from BuyMiles or GiftMiles."
Old May 9, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Could you see the fare code? Most likely it will be 2.0 multiplier, but if you booked through an OTA, it might have impact on your EQD, which I assume isn't an issue now.

The 500 EQM min will be double as well. See here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp
"AAdvantage® members have a base of 500 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American and oneworld® airlines (250 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on Basic Economy fares).To calculate final EQMs earned, the multiplier for airline and booking code flown is applied to this base.
EQMs don't include class-of-service bonus miles, elite bonuses, other participant miles, any other AAdvantage® bonus mileage, or miles obtained from BuyMiles or GiftMiles."
I was planning on booking the ticket through AA directly, but was searching on Matrix which shows I fares for all the various routes. We're good on EQD, and thanks for the answer on the 500 mile minimum being before booking multipliers.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
I was planning on booking the ticket through AA directly, but was searching on Matrix which shows I fares for all the various routes. We're good on EQD, and thanks for the answer on the 500 mile minimum being before booking multipliers.
I fare will have a 2.0 multiplier regardless of special fare or not.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp
Old May 9, 2018, 9:39 pm

I fare will have a 2.0 multiplier regardless of special fare or not.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp
Thank you! That's how I was reading the AA.com page, I guess I put too much stock into the Milecalc page.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Same Conf# when miles come from two different accounts?

Booking one way award tickets on BA using AAmiles for myself and husband. The miles for each ticket are coming from each of our accounts. Can the CSR put both tickets under one reservation or do they have to be separate conf. #s ?

Thanks.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:50 pm

Anyone know if there is a difference in business class award availability if you're on a first class award or a business class award? I swear I've seen a case where searching for first class saver I found segment A in first and segment B in business and then searching business saver found segment A in business and segment B in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.