Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 10:23 am

Hey guys,

Trying to book an AA mileage flight on JAL Business/First.

Looking from places in the USA where JAL flies from. Tricky part is trying to get to Seoul (via Japan). I also come from a regional airport so if I find a flight from say Chicago (ORD) to NRT (ideally ICN, but I see most go to GMP from HNT), could I combine that with a flight from my regional airport to Chicago on American airlines?

Looking for flights on BA website for this summer, but not having much luck.

Does JAL release any more seats say 2 weeks before the flight?

Thank you so much!
Old May 8, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by kiwinuked
Hey guys,

Trying to book an AA mileage flight on JAL Business/First.

Looking from places in the USA where JAL flies from. Tricky part is trying to get to Seoul (via Japan). I also come from a regional airport so if I find a flight from say Chicago (ORD) to NRT (ideally ICN, but I see most go to GMP from HNT), could I combine that with a flight from my regional airport to Chicago on American airlines?

Looking for flights on BA website for this summer, but not having much luck.

Does JAL release any more seats say 2 weeks before the flight?

Thank you so much!
Yes and yes. If you're using BA make sure to search segment by segment. First look for the long haul, i.e. ORD-NRT. Once you find a date(s) with availability there then look for the connecting segments from TYO-SEL and your city to ORD, DFW, etc. With a few caveats you can combine all segments for the single award price.

And JL is still very good about releasing additional award space within a week or two of the flight if there's room.

Happy hunting...
Old May 8, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Dumbest question ever, so sorry

Apologies in advance. I travel 99% of the time and I pay for business class. Turns out, I really want to fly in F on the 77W. I did the standard thing, I searched for space on AA.com. I found saver awards, 1 connection thru DFW on the outbound, nonstop on the return. I read OMAT and Lucky and a bunch of the other bloggers. Each and every one of them talks about looking for award space on sites other than AA.com. I tried on JAL, couldn't get past trying to create an account. (every damn password/pin combo I tried, they rejected, so screw that). Went to Alaska.com and could actually navigate that site, no award space was available. The question I have revolves around learning how to search for mileage awards on other sites than AA. Now for part two of the stupid question. How do I then use my AA miles on these other sites? I'd be willing to pay someone to teach me how to look for award seats on JAL, one world, and other partner sites. PM if you're interested.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by tomj888
Apologies in advance. I travel 99% of the time and I pay for business class. Turns out, I really want to fly in F on the 77W. I did the standard thing, I searched for space on AA.com. I found saver awards, 1 connection thru DFW on the outbound, nonstop on the return. I read OMAT and Lucky and a bunch of the other bloggers. Each and every one of them talks about looking for award space on sites other than AA.com. I tried on JAL, couldn't get past trying to create an account. (every damn password/pin combo I tried, they rejected, so screw that). Went to Alaska.com and could actually navigate that site, no award space was available. The question I have revolves around learning how to search for mileage awards on other sites than AA. Now for part two of the stupid question. How do I then use my AA miles on these other sites? I'd be willing to pay someone to teach me how to look for award seats on JAL, one world, and other partner sites. PM if you're interested.
Based on what you described I am thinking you want to fly in F on 77W in AA metal? In that case, aa.com search is sufficient and accurate.

Articles on bloggers are usually about searching partners awards (CX, BA, JL etc) availability. They usually talk about using a BAEC account to search for partner award availability.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Yes, as my travel will take me to LHR.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:50 am

Obtaining seats on AA international flights

Hi! New to AA with no status. Would appreciate experts who can help us.

We are on paid AA international roundtrip tickets flying in 10 days with only middle seats currently showing on AA's seat map unless we pay almost $100 per person per flight (that's $400 extra!). We care most about seating together but do not need the premium seats.

We called AA to see if the seats where you currently have to pay extra will be released free to the public within 24 hours of departure when online checkin is open and can't get a clear answer. In fact, we were told if we don't have seats already, we won't be able to use online checkin. And if we select a free seat (only middle left), we won't be able to change it during the 24-hr online checkin period even if other seats are available then. The service rep's suggestion is to go to the airport 4 hours ahead of our flight to try to get seats together.

In your experience, can you checkin without seat assignment online within the 24 hour period before flight and be able to select seats that were previously costing extra or hidden from view of those without status? Thank you!!!
Old May 8, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by tomj888
Yes, as my travel will take me to LHR.
aa.com is accurate in this case. There is no need to use partner's website to search for AA metal availability.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:31 pm

Thanks for your help! Appreciate it!
Old May 8, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes and yes. If you're using BA make sure to search segment by segment. First look for the long haul, i.e. ORD-NRT. Once you find a date(s) with availability there then look for the connecting segments from TYO-SEL and your city to ORD, DFW, etc. With a few caveats you can combine all segments for the single award price.

And JL is still very good about releasing additional award space within a week or two of the flight if there's room.

Happy hunting...
Meant to quote you above. Thanks again! Is BA website the best to search for JAL?
Old May 8, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Gold kits still mailed

Having been an ExecPlat for the past six years, I had far less travel in 2017 and found myself with enough EQMs for Platinum but not enough EQDs. As yet, however, I have not received the usual elite kit of membership card and luggage tags. Though given changes in the program, and cutbacks in recent years, are there still Gold luggage tags? (The elite "card" in my iPhone passport auto-downgraded so a plastic card is not really needed...and i did manage to attain BA's Gold status through July 2019 so most elite benefits are still available to me on AA and other OW partners.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kiwinuked
Hey guys,

...could I combine that with a flight from my regional airport to Chicago on American airlines?...
In addition to what JJeffrey said, be sure that you find availability on all of the segments. You won't be able to change the destination or origin of the ticket without paying a fee. Unless you're comfortable potentially purchasing the short-haul segments separately.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Having been an ExecPlat for the past six years, I had far less travel in 2017 and found myself with enough EQMs for Platinum but not enough EQDs. As yet, however, I have not received the usual elite kit of membership card and luggage tags. Though given changes in the program, and cutbacks in recent years, are there still Gold luggage tags? (The elite "card" in my iPhone passport auto-downgraded so a plastic card is not really needed...and i did manage to attain BA's Gold status through July 2019 so most elite benefits are still available to me on AA and other OW partners.
Baggage tags are sent to:

Executive Platinum members upon qualifying or requalifying (2)

AAdvantage members who achieve the 1 Million Miles (2) threshold and each 1 MM after that.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Deep breaths are in order, please.

American Eagle dba American Airlines certainly is oneworld.

Arrive remote, bus to Terminal 4, walk TBIT connector without having to check in or do security.

1:53 is plenty of time to transfer hold baggage to LATAM. If you’re flying on a single ticket / PNR, no worries.

(If you’re not, then you’ve got worries because you’d have to bus, recover bags at Terminal 5, walk them to TBIT, check in etc.) See the GUIDE thread to LAX for maps, photos, etc. - start with the Wikipost at the top of the page.

Thanks a lot, that definitely soothes some nerves

Just one more quick question, since there's not much overhead bin space on these short regional flights, my carry-on will probably be stowed in the hold for the flight and I can pick it up right outside the plane after landing, correct? Or will it be checked through to final destination if that happens? Sorry, I've never taken a flight like this before - here in Australia even short regional flights are usually on much 150+ seater planes.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ventanilla
....Sorry, I've never taken a flight like this before - here in Australia even short regional flights are usually on much 150+ seater planes.
A lot of QFlink aircraft Dash8 aircraft with 36~74 seats. The QF B717 have 125 seats. (I have old QF seat maps so may not be 100% accurate)
Old May 9, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sightseer
Hi! New to AA with no status. Would appreciate experts who can help us.

We are on paid AA international roundtrip tickets flying in 10 days with only middle seats currently showing on AA's seat map unless we pay almost $100 per person per flight (that's $400 extra!). We care most about seating together but do not need the premium seats.

We called AA to see if the seats where you currently have to pay extra will be released free to the public within 24 hours of departure when online checkin is open and can't get a clear answer. In fact, we were told if we don't have seats already, we won't be able to use online checkin. And if we select a free seat (only middle left), we won't be able to change it during the 24-hr online checkin period even if other seats are available then. The service rep's suggestion is to go to the airport 4 hours ahead of our flight to try to get seats together.

In your experience, can you checkin without seat assignment online within the 24 hour period before flight and be able to select seats that were previously costing extra or hidden from view of those without status? Thank you!!!
In general, more seats do usually become available at the online check-in window. If most of the seats are taken by that point, however, then you may find yourself without seats nest to each other. You'll also usually be able to change your seat assignment right up until a couple hours before the flight, when the airport staff takes control of the flight.

Having a seat assignment should have no bearing on whether or not you can use online check-in. What would affect that ability is whether you need to have your documents checked by an airport agent. That all depends on where you are going, the passport you're traveling on, and if there are any visa requirements/proof on onward journey implications. But, again, at that point, if there are more seats available, you should be able to select them.

What flight are you traveling on, and on which dates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.