Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn stickers.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can borrow your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, youll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if youre #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own stickers. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Arrow AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Originally Posted by JY1024
We'll merge this with our 500-mile upgrade thread for further discussion. Thank. /Moderator
eh i'll just delete it

now i remember why i stopped using this terrible site -- it's completely useless because of the thread nazis that merge every question into a 100-page threads that nobody reads
Unterwegs, JB OmahAA and Danwriter like this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Posts exploring the chances of upgrading have been moved to 2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated).

JDiver, Moderator
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Posts exploring the chances of upgrading have been moved to 2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated).

JDiver, Moderator
Thanks but that thread is closed/locked.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
In my experience, this stuff only happens when the non-elite passenger tries to OLCI before I do. The past half-dozen times I've upgraded a non-elite (always on a separate PNR that I called to have linked -- and all of which have worked/cleared at T-100), I made sure to OLCI myself first and then to OLCI my companion. No trouble at all, and the stickers have later come out of my account as expected. In the past the other passenger had tried to OLCI before me and gotten the "please buy stickers" message you describe.
Recent experience: transcon upgraded ahead of time with myself and my wife (PLAT) on one PNR. I checked her in online first, excluding myself. I checked myself in an hour or so later. Upgrades were eventually deducted from her account.

On the return, no advance upgrade; I asked at the check-in counter (after prior checkin via app) to make sure we had the same priority (we were showing up on the upgrade list well separated). It took him quite a long time to manage it (at least 10 min) but eventually worked out. Had to ask at gate for transcon segment for them to process the upgrade list. In this case, upgrades were deducted from my account.

I wonder if the separate check in, lower status companion, always will work when pre-upgraded? I've only about 14 e500 left, but she has like 90.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by hurnik
Thanks but that thread is closed/locked.
Thanks! I moved it to the 2018 version here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html
hurnik likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:51 am

Just an odd observation (maybe add to the Wiki, but not sure if it's relevant there):

Last night purchased (2) 500 mile upgrade stickers.
Checked my account this morning, shows I have 2 on file.
Purchased 4 more this morning. 4 hours later, still only shows 2 on file. (yes, the website says *at least 2 hours* for processing).

Anyway, the "oddity"
If I try to use the aa.com iOS app, it will not let me check in unless I purchase 4 upgrades (currently 1 upgrade confirmed other two are "requested" theoretical total would be 6 stickers I need).

If I use the online website, then it happily lets me check-in and wait-lists me for the other 2 segments.

Not sure if this is WAD, but if it is, perhaps this info is useful in the Wiki? (can't check-in online with the app unless your account shows X amount of sticker upgrades, but the website will let you)?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
UDU & SDC

Not sure exactly where to post this, please move if needed.

I used SDC today on ord/clt Since I came early given the weather. Club could not confirm so I walk to the gate. Easily clear into 11A ( 1 of 2 on list and cabin is y7) gate agent and a premium services agent waiting in a CK both claimed I couldn't be put on the FC upgrade list since it's The Same list and you can't double upgrade. Also said you have to be confirmed to get on the upgrade list which I understand but having a boarding pass W/ a seat should mean confirmed, correct?

didn't really fight it just boarded but now I am curious as to the policy. And btw I was upgraded on the 6pm flight (my original) in to R class.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by nismo240ssx
Not sure exactly where to post this, please move if needed.

I used SDC today on ord/clt Since I came early given the weather. Club could not confirm so I walk to the gate. Easily clear into 11A ( 1 of 2 on list and cabin is y7) gate agent and a premium services agent waiting in a CK both claimed I couldn't be put on the FC upgrade list since it's The Same list and you can't double upgrade. Also said you have to be confirmed to get on the upgrade list which I understand but having a boarding pass W/ a seat should mean confirmed, correct?

didn't really fight it just boarded but now I am curious as to the policy. And btw I was upgraded on the 6pm flight (my original) in to R class.
I've had same frustration, they always tell me I would be on the end of the UG list regardless of where I would rank usually due to status. Each time I have been in this circumstance the list is long, but it seems like there was space anyways for you. As soon as you're confirmed onto the flight you should be able to be added to the other list, (and when I have asked for them to do this for me, it would still be at the end of the UG list though).
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Antarius
As long as you hold status, you earn stickers.. so say you are PLT now that expires 1/31/2018 and drop to no status, you'd still accumulate stickers till 1/31/2018 as you are a PLT till then.
What are your thoughts on getting a pro-rata amount of stickers based on earned miles? I won't have 12,500 at end of 1/31/18 but I will have 9,267 or just under 75% ... any chance they will give me 3 vouchers if I ask after Jan 31? Speculation, of course.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
What are your thoughts on getting a pro-rata amount of stickers based on earned miles? I won't have 12,500 at end of 1/31/18 but I will have 9,267 or just under 75% ... any chance they will give me 3 vouchers if I ask after Jan 31? Speculation, of course.
I've seen reports of agents being willing to do so. Although depending on the agent you might only get 2 instead of 3.
Panamajon513 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
It used to be standard procedure; over 1/2 way to 12,500 (or 10,000 at the time), get 2 - under 1/2 way get 0. See this thread:

End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2015-2016)

I cannot remember whether this did or did not change for 2017 and haven't found a thread on it for last year. Perhaps others with better memories or search skills can provide that update.
Panamajon513 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
AA typically does allow this - just call and ask. Just under 75% though, you likely will be able to get 2.
Panamajon513 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:38 pm

Uggh. I didn't know that the program year was changing this year. I was about 2,500 EQMs away from my next set of stickers but I just had my clock reset. Has anyone had any luck after the change in the program year at getting pro rated stickers for the prior year or do you need to call before the changeover?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
So I don’t normally buy these but was one short. I made the purchase through the AA app four days ago. I got a receipt by email. None of my AA apps show an increased number of upgrades. The only place I see the increased number is one place on aa.com. Even there, there are still some places that show the lower number. The only remark I saw was about needing at least 48 hours to allow the upgrade to credit. Should I contact AA at this point since none of my apps show the correct number? I have also tried logging out of the app and back in.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by lkar
Uggh. I didn't know that the program year was changing this year. I was about 2,500 EQMs away from my next set of stickers but I just had my clock reset. Has anyone had any luck after the change in the program year at getting pro rated stickers for the prior year or do you need to call before the changeover?
I called just now and got 3. I had flown 1090 EQMs, they initially gave me two, but saw that some folks got 3 or 4 on here and said that my colleague was offered more and they gave me one more. I'm so glad I saw this thread, I would have ended up with 0.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.