Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Originally Posted by jktraveler
I don't mind using 500 mile certificates and, even more so, buying them if I don't fly enough to earn them every 10k miles to upgrade companions, but I still believe I should be entitled to earn them for flying every 10k miles even while being EXP.
Well then maybe you should show this petty little airline just how entitled you are and only fly your personal jet everywhere instead of AA. Since you are so entitled then starting your own airline to compete with AA should be no issue.

Even better , take your EXP and do a status challenge to DL or UA and see how many times you get upgraded or better get your companion gets upgraded. My guess is you won't feel so entitled after that.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by relangford
Been covered other times, but it still gripes me. I was EXP for a number of years when I started flying AA, so no stickers even though I flew >120,000 each year (almost all TPAC). Then, when I dropped to PLT last year, I had zero stickers in my account. If I had been PLAT all along, I would have had many. I even asked AA if there could be some way to back credit PLATs when they drop from EXP the number they would have had; of course, told no. And, as an aside, I got exactly three complementary domestic upgrades and lost all my global upgrades since I was never able to use them (I tried, but wasn't able to get even one flight where they could be used).
This has been this way for what, 12 years now, and you still want to rehash? Give it up...
Old May 29, 2015, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Been covered other times, but it still gripes me. I was EXP for a number of years when I started flying AA, so no stickers even though I flew >120,000 each year (almost all TPAC). Then, when I dropped to PLT last year, I had zero stickers in my account. If I had been PLAT all along, I would have had many.
You don't have any stickers in an account since they don't exist anymore.... the logic is rather flawed unless you had few upgrades when holding EP status ( e.g. flew predominantly internationally on ineligible flights or on partners )

120,000 miles would earn 48 x 500 mile upgrades. During a year , how many upgrades did you have and how many 500 mile upgrades would that have used ?
Old May 29, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
This has been this way for what, 12 years now, and you still want to rehash? Give it up...
I'm with you... this one has been pretty much beaten to death and the likelihood of anything changing here is as close to zero as it can possibly get... time to give it up...
Old May 29, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Pretty much; they were really stickers back in the day.
I was joking...but thanks for the insight
Old May 29, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: Free Agent
You also get a pack of SWUs that you can use on your companion.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:34 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Been covered other times, but it still gripes me. I was EXP for a number of years when I started flying AA, so no stickers even though I flew >120,000 each year (almost all TPAC). Then, when I dropped to PLT last year, I had zero stickers in my account. If I had been PLAT all along, I would have had many. I even asked AA if there could be some way to back credit PLATs when they drop from EXP the number they would have had; of course, told no. And, as an aside, I got exactly three complementary domestic upgrades and lost all my global upgrades since I was never able to use them (I tried, but wasn't able to get even one flight where they could be used).
As much as I LOVE EXP, that would really really steam me!
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:26 pm

any wiki on AA's 500-mile upgrade?

The information on AA.com is kind of hard to follow.

But it seems to me that for flights with less than 500 miles, elite members (gold, plat, exec) can request upgrade for free, but upgrades are not guaranteed as it depends on availability couple days before departure.

But for flights more than 500 miles, gold/plat will have to pay, on 500-mile increment, just to request upgrade (but not guaranteed one)? What if they don't get the upgrade in their upgrade window? Do they get the request fee back?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:39 pm

You need to use the stickers (500 mile upgrades) to upgrade. 1 per 500 mile increment, as you said.

There are 2 ways to get stickers, you earn 4 for each 10000 miles flown or you can buy them online or at a kiosk for $30 ($35 if bought from an agent) a piece.

If you get the upgrade, the stickers are deducted from your account. If not they dont, and you can try to use them on another flight some other time, they do not expire. The stickers are not refundable.

(Note that EXP don't need stickers to upgrade, regardless of flight length.)
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
If I'm travelling on the same itinerary as someone else, and we both have enough 500-mile upgrades in our accounts for the upgrade, will the system pull it from each of our AAdvantage accounts? Conversely, let's say my account has enough upgrades for both of us, but my companion does not...would it automatically pull the upgrades for both of us from my account?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
The information on AA.com is kind of hard to follow.

But it seems to me that for flights with less than 500 miles, elite members (gold, plat, exec) can request upgrade for free, but upgrades are not guaranteed as it depends on availability couple days before departure.

But for flights more than 500 miles, gold/plat will have to pay, on 500-mile increment, just to request upgrade (but not guaranteed one)? What if they don't get the upgrade in their upgrade window? Do they get the request fee back?
I tried looking for an existing thread in the pre-consolidation thread and couldn't find one. However there are MANY individual threads. See Djokison's post below for a good link.

As a thumbnail:

The 500-mile upgrades are what used to be stickers. You earn them by flying (as non-EXP status member). You get 4 for each 10,000 miles BIS racked up. You can buy them for cash or miles. You can buy them online or at the airport. They do not expire. They can be used for other flyers. You can not return them once purchased. The 10,000 mile blocks run from March to March. Many have reported being able to get partial credit when not hitting 10,000 by the end of February.

They are not used until the upgrade is approved. They must be in your account before the BP is issued. If you should lose your upgrade (IRROPS) you can call in to get them returned to your account.

Search the other AA thread for more details.

Last edited by RogerD408; Jun 7, 2015 at 4:00 pm Reason: Djokison's post about a wiki... Thank you.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:54 pm

Here's the wiki, btw: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
If I'm travelling on the same itinerary as someone else, and we both have enough 500-mile upgrades in our accounts for the upgrade, will the system pull it from each of our AAdvantage accounts? Conversely, let's say my account has enough upgrades for both of us, but my companion does not...would it automatically pull the upgrades for both of us from my account?
I believe it's automatically pulls them from the requester's account. If you want them to be pulled from the individual flyers' accounts, you have to call in and request that.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison
You need to use the stickers (500 mile upgrades) to upgrade. 1 per 500 mile increment, as you said.

There are 2 ways to get stickers, you earn 4 for each 10000 miles flown or you can buy them online or at a kiosk for $30 ($35 if bought from an agent) a piece.

If you get the upgrade, the stickers are deducted from your account. If not they dont, and you can try to use them on another flight some other time, they do not expire. The stickers are not refundable.

(Note that EXP don't need stickers to upgrade, regardless of flight length.)
which genius came up with such brilliant idea?

Delta (as bad as their skypesos program is) and United do not ask you to pay more to get upgraded.

You don't get refund on the certificate if you aren't upgraded.

If you check in when upgrade is not available, but the guy who checks in after you has the upgrade available but refuses to pay for the certificate, then you don't get the upgrade (but in theory, you should)....

I guess AA picks revenue at the expense of inconveniencing non-exec elite members.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
The 500-mile upgrades should first come from each traveler's account. It they don't have enough then AA.com will try to pull from the higher status account. The upgrades must be present prior to getting your BP. EXPs do not need them for their own travels, but do for companions.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I tried looking for an existing thread in the pre-consolidation thread and couldn't find one. However there are MANY individual threads.

As a thumbnail:

The 500-mile upgrades are what used to be stickers. You earn them by flying (as non-EXP status member). You get 4 for each 10,000 miles BIS racked up. You can buy them for cash or miles. You can buy them online or at the airport. They do not expire. They can be used for other flyers. You can not return them once purchased. The 10,000 mile blocks run from March to March. Many have reported being able to get partial credit when not hitting 10,000 by the end of February.

They are not used until the upgrade is approved. They must be in your account before the BP is issued. If you should lose your upgrade (IRROPS) you can call in to get them returned to your account.

Search the other AA thread for more details.
To be clear, they may be used to upgrade a single companion traveling on the same flight as you, if you are also upgraded. It does not have to be the same PNR, nor even the same itinerary (an elite flying A-B-C can upgrade a companion flying only B-C).

You can't upgrade someone else if you aren't flying with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.