Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jiangning
Regarding one of my previous post...
I just became a Plt and I called Plt desk to move my priority of an upgrade I requested when I was still a Gold. She said she could't move and the system would automatically adjust me. Is this the case?
I know the system didn't work like this before. Did they improve it?
Sounds like HUCA is in order. But this time ask them to confirm your status level on the rez. The system is supposed to make the change, but there hasn't been anything posted about it actually doing that. Doesn't mean it doesn't since most FT postings are about problems.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:13 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I had a flight last week, LAX-YYZ. Had requested an upgrade but did not clear prior to boarding as a PLT. Ended up flight somewhat empty, so I had empty middle seat next to me in exit row. I was all settled in, then the gate agent came back to move me up due to a no-show in F/J.

I was comfortable so I thanked her for the trouble but declined the upgrade. I already had my bags put away and the flight was just about to push, so I didn't want to deal with the hassle of moving them. Someone else got the upgrade, as I saw her move another pax up.

I suppose now I should have just taken it, as I ended up having the 5 stickers deducted from my account despite the fact I rode in Y.

I emailed them to inquire, but was told to call. So I did, and an excellent agent worked on it - she pulled up the manifest which did show me in in the F (sold as J) cabin, not in Y. She says she documented the situation and manually added 5 stickers, but 24 hours later they've not appeared.

Now, 5 stickers are worth $150, and next year I'll be Ex Plt (one more trip before end of year will put me over top). I'm not sure I want to waste another 30 minute phone call on this.

Have others experienced this? I should have taken the upgrade, that's now clear. I paid for it in the end, and someone else didn't.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by dll
I had a flight last week, LAX-YYZ. Had requested an upgrade but did not clear prior to boarding as a PLT. Ended up flight somewhat empty, so I had empty middle seat next to me in exit row. I was all settled in, then the gate agent came back to move me up due to a no-show in F/J.

I was comfortable so I thanked her for the trouble but declined the upgrade. I already had my bags put away and the flight was just about to push, so I didn't want to deal with the hassle of moving them. Someone else got the upgrade, as I saw her move another pax up.

I suppose now I should have just taken it, as I ended up having the 5 stickers deducted from my account despite the fact I rode in Y.

I emailed them to inquire, but was told to call. So I did, and an excellent agent worked on it - she pulled up the manifest which did show me in in the F (sold as J) cabin, not in Y. She says she documented the situation and manually added 5 stickers, but 24 hours later they've not appeared.

Now, 5 stickers are worth $150, and next year I'll be Ex Plt (one more trip before end of year will put me over top). I'm not sure I want to waste another 30 minute phone call on this.

Have others experienced this? I should have taken the upgrade, that's now clear. I paid for it in the end, and someone else didn't.
I would definitely follow up. You can use those stickers for a companion upgrade while you're EXP, or yourself if you drop to a lower level elite.

Also, they'll be worth $200 after Jan 1.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:43 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by dll

If it was manually added back, it will take 3-4 days to appear on your account.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is it still possible to call and request prorated stickers when a bit short of next 10K threshold?

If so should it be done before end of year or after?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by azepine00
is it still possible to call and request prorated stickers when a bit short of next 10K threshold?

If so should it be done before end of year or after?
Sticker counter resets 3/1. I usually call in a few days after. We'll see if they still grant prorated stickers.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: 2015 kettle
Question--If I request an upgrade and then get upgraded, but choose to fly standby on an earlier flight in the Y cabin, do the upgrades get redeposited into my account?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:54 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mickeydfly13
Question--If I request an upgrade and then get upgraded, but choose to fly standby on an earlier flight in the Y cabin, do the upgrades get redeposited into my account?
Upgrades are not taken out until departure. You may also get upgraded on the standby flight (unlikely, but it happens).
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Current flight is delayed almost four hours. I tried to get rebooked on an earlier flight to a nearby airport and the agent told me I couldnt use EXP upgrades (me) and stickers (for my companion) even though seats were available in F and the flight left in 45 minutes. So, is it true you can't use complimentary/sticker upgrades if rebooked or did I just find the wrong agent?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Kate2015
Current flight is delayed almost four hours. I tried to get rebooked on an earlier flight to a nearby airport and the agent told me I couldnt use EXP upgrades (me) and stickers (for my companion) even though seats were available in F and the flight left in 45 minutes. So, is it true you can't use complimentary/sticker upgrades if rebooked or did I just find the wrong agent?
... wrong agent...

Now what they may have meant to say was that you would first need to clear Y and THEN get upgraded if F was still open after other upgrades have been processed. Some creative GAs will clear you directly into F, but those have been rare for me.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:04 pm

Question: Is the upgrade automatically requested for my companion when I put in the upgrade request during booking? At the bottom of my reservation, I see the "Upgraded? Requested" status, but it is just an overall status...no passenger names are listed.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Just a quick question about Gold 500-mile upgrade timing. The rules state that Golds can be upgraded 24 hours before departure (based upon availability of course). Practically, what does this mean (e.g. exactly 24 hours)? Should I do OLCI at 24 hours in advance or is there any benefit to waiting? (I knew the LUS rules and windows perfectly, but this is my first shot at actually getting an upgrade under AA rules -- still 9 F seats at 48 hours before departure).
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by formeraa
Just a quick question about Gold 500-mile upgrade timing. The rules state that Golds can be upgraded 24 hours before departure (based upon availability of course). Practically, what does this mean (e.g. exactly 24 hours)? Should I do OLCI at 24 hours in advance or is there any benefit to waiting? (I knew the LUS rules and windows perfectly, but this is my first shot at actually getting an upgrade under AA rules -- still 9 F seats at 48 hours before departure).
In my experience, I've gotten upgraded a little bit after the 24hr mark. But this afternoon I got upgraded at t minus 23:58 and also for a later segment that was t minus 29ish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.