Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Arrow ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

I'm EXP, the g/f was gold but lost status last year. However, she still has 4 stickers in her account. I wonder, can I draw on those to upgrade her when we're traveling together?

The current thread on this topic can be read here.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 2, 2017 at 7:27 pm Reason: Add moderator note
Old Jan 1, 2015, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Danwriter
I'm EXP, the g/f was gold but lost status last year. However, she still has 4 stickers in her account. I wonder, can I draw on those to upgrade her when we're traveling together?
I think stickers come from your account if she is getting upgraded due to your status.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by ShortDog
I think stickers come from your account if she is getting upgraded due to your status.
Not entirely true. Companions upgrading together may list using the higher status, but only elites can use stickers, so only companions that are both elites can have stickers pulled out of their own accounts.

Originally Posted by Danwriter
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
"Not Requested" for under 500 Mile Segment UG (for EXP)

I just put a ticket on hold where I have an AUS to DFW connection. When I was booking the flight, I didn't have the option to request the UG for the segment since they implemented the new "auto request" feature for under 500 miles segments for Elites. Cool with that.

Now, what is a little disconcerting is that on the review page it shows that the UG is "Not Requested". Have others encountered this? My guess it's just some bad UI code on AA's part, but still..
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Another question for your 23 minute flight might be whether it is on equipment that has a First or Business class.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Thumper
Another question for your 23 minute flight might be whether it is on equipment that has a First or Business class.
Yes, it's always a mainline MD-80 or 737 b/w AUS and DFW w/F.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
That's weird. Just last week I booked sub-500 mile flights and had the usual request UPG boxes that I checked.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Comp, auto-requested <500 upgrades for all elites is targeted for Q2. By chance is your flight after April 1?

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AA...2015/index.jsp
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: AA++
500-mile upgrade

How does this work?
I am a gold status with AA and will fly from LAX to HNL next week. AA website says I need 6 stickers to request upgrade.
What I want to know is the bottom line... how much will I have to spend via cash or mileage?

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ssg10
How does this work?
I am a gold status with AA and will fly from LAX to HNL next week. AA website says I need 6 stickers to request upgrade.
What I want to know is the bottom line... how much will I have to spend via cash or mileage?

Thanks
If it is 6 stickers, then 6x$35, it can be $30 if you purchase stickers directly through AA or a kiosk. If you want to do mileage/cash, then based on http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/o...rade-chart.jsp
it is 15k miles+$175, or if you have a full fare coach ticket then it is 8k miles only.
I hope I answered your question.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
One other thing to keep in mind. Sticker upgrades (500 mile upgrades) are not guaranteed. EXP and Plat requesting segment upgrades will be upgraded before you if you request 500 mile upgrades as a general rule.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:47 pm

By the way, the answer to your question can be found in the FAQ (where it says "Pleade check here first!) that's stickied at the top of this forum. In particular, I'm looking under th "Upgrades" section, where there is in-depth info on 500-mile upgrades or "stickers".
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by _kurt
I just got the same message. In these circumstances, AA.com used to prompt you to purchase the stickers as part of the check-in process. Has there been an intentional change to that flow? Or is this a bug?
The website said I had enough, but when I checked in I got the same message. At the airport it showed me in 1st but would not complete the check in unless I paid $120. I had to have an agent cancel the upgrade and try to find a decent seat. Not very friendly way to handle things.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
500-mile "stickers" available MISMATCH (AA web vs SABRE)

A heads up for everyone out there:

My AADVANTAGE account (web and mobile) show a distinct mismatch on my upgrade balance (for companions). The main screen on my account shows only 3 available, and the summary page shows 2 - but it doesn't jive what I actually purchased.

Called customer service and they saw that I had NINE in their system and according to SABRE I had eleven unused 500 mile upgrades. I had to purchase a bunch more several days ago because I couldn't check in a companion.

If you use these on a regular basis check your balance with AA Customr Service. They launched a trouble ticket to find out why this is occurring.

Cheers
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Virgin Gold, Marriott Gold
I've had this issue for a few days. I called in and they said "it definitely says X [the amount I expected] here" - when I asked if something is being done about this, they basically just said "I don't know, but it's fine" - didn't inspire a ton of confidence...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.