Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:52 pm

500 mileage upgrade certs

I just checked my AA account recently, before the merger cut off notice (and just in time and saw I had 2 500 mile upgrade certs still left. I can only use those for full fare Y tickets correct?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: LH HON
If you are not having any status you can only upgrade from Y and B fares.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by ckx2
Thank you.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
This will go away once the programs merge. After that, non-elites can only upgrade as companions of elites.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:58 am
Suspended

As pointed out above, that's gone:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showp...65&postcount=2
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The part of the Reservation Details (i.e., the specific itinerary shown in AA.com when you go through My Trips, then select the specific record locator) is missing the box for Upgrade Reservation on 3 of my next 5 trips.

This has been happening periodically since December. They don't come back. As a result, I have to call to see if my request is still on the reservation (any schedule change seems to cancel the request and it needs to be re-requested, at which point it seems to get the original request date).

I've spent time with Web Supprt, all I wind up with is that "they will pass the problem along". Any thoughts on how to correct this or what my next step should be (other than continually calling to make sure it's still requested)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:01 am

Questions about earning 500-mile stickers

Newbie coming over from US here, lots of questions. I now have 20 of these stickers and a little confused about earning them from here on out:

For purposes of the 10,000 mile (per 4 sticker) calculation, what counts:

1) Miles on partner airlines?
2) EQM bonus for paid first class (50%)?
3) Other elite bonus miles (credit cards, etc.)?
4) Miles on flights where I did upgrade with stickers or free upgrade under 500-miles?
5) For the rest of 2015, miles on US Airways (which has unlimited free upgrades)?

Anything I'm missing? Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:11 am

Stickers for Dummies

For those of us having been set in our ways with automatic upgrades with US Airways, can someone explain how to use the stickers in a simple step by step manner for dummies like myself.

Do I use them at booking? At check-In? In Between? and where in the process do you apply them?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by abeflyer
For those of us having been set in our ways with automatic upgrades with US Airways, can someone explain how to use the stickers in a simple step by step manner for dummies like myself.

Do I use them at booking? At check-In? In Between? and where in the process do you apply them?
When you make a reservation there will be a section where you can request upgrades provided you are an elite or in full fare coach. Your priority will depend on when you make the request. The upgrades may be granted at any time after that and the stickers will be taken when you fly if you are upgraded. You do not need to have enough stickers when you request the upgrade but you must have enough to be on the airport list after check-in and when you board. You have the opportunity to transfer to the airport list when you check in otherwise your request lapses. Segments of 500 miles or less are automatically requested if you qualify and require no stickers. Stickers can be purchased, it is cheapest to do this on line or at a kiosk.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DCAAA
Newbie coming over from US here, lots of questions. I now have 20 of these stickers and a little confused about earning them from here on out:

If you earn EQM, you'll earn MTEU.

There are no EQM bonuses for first class; see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-threads.html

No; there are no Elite Qualifying bonus miles unless you spend $40k in one year and prior to your December statement with qualifying cards, and those 10k EQM only serve as counted for status.

4) Miles on flights where I did upgrade with stickers or free upgrade under 500-miles?

No double dipping, sorry. One earns EQM, EQP etc. per the purchased fare.

5) For the rest of 2015, miles on US Airways (which has unlimited free upgrades)?

Flown / base miles on US (and EQM earning partners' flights), yes.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 1, 2015 at 9:28 am
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MADPhil
... The upgrades may be granted at any time after that and the stickers will be taken when you fly if you are upgraded....
Actually, upgrades will be granted based upon your status. Starting at 100 hours before flight for EXP, 72 hours for Plt, and 24 hours for Gold. AA releases upgrade inventory at various times based upon how they feel sales are going.

IME, the "stickers" are taken sometime after the flight departs.

Reading the Wiki at the top of the page is helpful.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Actually, upgrades will be granted based upon your status. Starting at 100 hours before flight for EXP, 72 hours for Plt, and 24 hours for Gold. AA releases upgrade inventory at various times based upon how they feel sales are going.

IME, the "stickers" are taken sometime after the flight departs.

Reading the Wiki at the top of the page is helpful.
In the past I have had upgrades clear before those deadlines but these days they seem to clear close to flight time. If the flight is very empty then a few may be upgraded at the deadlines, at least EXPs.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:11 am

Does anyone know when they removed the 51 mile buffer? I have an upcoming reservation with a flight distance of 1,021 miles and before it cost 2, 500 mile upgrades but now it costs 3.

AA.com now has
*The 51 mile buffer will no longer apply.
on the 500 mile upgrade page.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by DougDons
Does anyone know when they removed the 51 mile buffer? I have an upcoming reservation with a flight distance of 1,021 miles and before it cost 2, 500 mile upgrades but now it costs 3.

AA.com now has on the 500 mile upgrade page.
The elimination of the 50 mile buffer was effective with the merging of the frequent flyer programs (ie last week).
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by DCAAA

What JDiver said, a little more concisely: Miles towards elite upgrades earned are base miles (as defined in the earning chart on AA.com for the marketing carrier, subject to 500 mile minimums if so stated on the relevant chart) flown on any EQM-earning airline. No more no less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.