Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DougDons
Does anyone know when they removed the 51 mile buffer? I have an upcoming reservation with a flight distance of 1,021 miles and before it cost 2, 500 mile upgrades but now it costs 3.

AA.com now has on the 500 mile upgrade page.
The Team Parker took away (the "51 mile Grace" and gave (no sticker necessary on flights under 500 miles).
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by ashill
What JDiver said, a little more concisely: Miles towards elite upgrades earned are base miles (as defined in the earning chart on AA.com for the marketing carrier, subject to 500 mile minimums if so stated on the relevant chart) flown on any EQM-earning airline. No more no less.
Show off!

Thanks! That was rather well said.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:28 pm

Huh? I was sure AA was retaining the 50% EQM bonus for paid FC fares.

And actually what ashill said was different but (I guess) makes more sense. There were some other errors in JDiver's post but it seems like he misunderstood a few of my questions.

So basically, a 2000 mile flight in paid first on AA would earn 3000 PQMs but only 2000 miles towards upgrade stickers?

Also, JDiver seemed to indicate that flights where you use stickers to upgrade (or get a free upgrade) accrue zero miles towards stickers? Is that correct?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:29 pm

deleted
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DCAAA

And actually what ashill said was different but (I guess) makes more sense. There were some other errors in JDiver's post but it seems like he misunderstood a few of my questions.

So basically, a 2000 mile flight in paid first on AA would earn 3000 PQMs but only 2000 miles towards upgrade stickers?

Also, JDiver seemed to indicate that flights where you use stickers to upgrade (or get a free upgrade) accrue zero miles towards stickers? Is that correct?
There never was an EQM bonus for F but you do earn 1.5*miles in EQP. The cunning idea is that you can earn the same EQM even in lower fare classes but EQP depend on the class. This tends to encourage you to keep buying F once you have started. There is a bonus for RDM.

You will earn miles towards stickers whether you are upgraded or not.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
Show off!

Thanks! That was rather well said.
Only because I didn't do anything cumbersome like answer the poster's questions explicitly.

Everything JDiver said except the below point (on which he was mostly correct) was completely correct and the same as what I said. The most-confusing-to-newcomers-to-AAdvantage thing is the distinction between base miles (miles flown subject to 500 mile minimums for elites on AA, US, AS, BA, and probably a few others; miles flown times a multiplier that is less than one on some fares on some other airline partners), EQMs (which are equal to base miles on all fares on EQM-earning airlines), and EQPs (which are base miles multiplied by 0.5 for cheap coach fares, 1.0 for mid-priced coach fares, and 1.5 for Y, B, and premium cabin fares).

Ah, JDiver did misunderstand what you said there. His point was that you don't earn any bonus miles for flying in a premium cabin when you upgrade. But, as he said, you do earn the base miles (and thus the miles towards elite upgrades) based on your purchased fare.

ETA: And I note that this is explicitly covered in the Wiki at the top of this thread (written by JDiver), which is always worth reading:
for each 10,000 base miles flown on AA, US and partners where one earns EQ Miles; the status holder will earn 4 500 mile electronic upgrades

Last edited by ashill; Apr 1, 2015 at 2:41 pm Reason: correct minor unclear bits
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
The more that we try to explain the system the more complex it seems for those who aren't used to it! And we haven't even got to segments. I was reflecting that we need someone who is bilingual to construct an AA<>US dictionary and a list of differences.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
The more that we try to explain the system the more complex it seems for those who aren't used to it! And we haven't even got to segments. I was reflecting that we need someone who is bilingual to construct an AA<>US dictionary and a list of differences.
We can do that. Un segmento es el sectór entre origen y destino de un vuelo, al menos que el vuelo...
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Platinum
The removal of the 51-mile grace window has left me pretty bummed. I do DFW-STL (550 miles) a lot. I hate going there, but at least it was a good use of a sticker, and as a PLT, I normally cleared. Now it costs 2 stickers per leg, which just isn't worth it. 10 trips to STL will earn me 4 stickers. If I upgraded all segments, it used to cost 20, but now will cost 40?! I know all flights 500 miles or less will be complementary now, but I'm on those pretty rarely, and it's usually some little RJ that isn't worth upgrading anyway. It's a pretty hard jump to go from "complementary" to "2 stickers"...

I guess I need to push for EXP this year to make STL not suck so much.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by giants_fan
The removal of the 51-mile grace window has left me pretty bummed.
There are many routes where you just scrape by... like LAX-YVR which is 1080 Miles. Too bad.

At least for my LAS-LAX-YVR the first segment is complimentary now so it evens out again.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:42 am

The removal of the 51-mile grace window has left me pretty bummed. I do DFW-STL (550 miles) a lot. I hate going there, but at least it was a good use of a sticker, and as a PLT, I normally cleared. Now it costs 2 stickers per leg, which just isn't worth it. 10 trips to STL will earn me 4 stickers. If I upgraded all segments, it used to cost 20, but now will cost 40?! I know all flights 500 miles or less will be complementary now, but I'm on those pretty rarely, and it's usually some little RJ that isn't worth upgrading anyway. It's a pretty hard jump to go from "complementary" to "2 stickers"...

I guess I need to push for EXP this year to make STL not suck so much.
I do a lot of SMF-LAX, 373 miles. All single class regional metal.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:34 am

Ah now I get EQMs and EQPs. Thanks. So basically I need any of EQP, EQM, or segments at any threshold to qualify? And FC gets me 1.5 base miles for EQPs, got it. Damn confusing and it will annoy me if I end getting 0.5 on any flight. That would really lower my incentive to ever fly paid first, if I was going to lose the bump in EQMs we normally got -- that was often my motivating for doing it. (I would lose it because it was canceled out by a trip with 0.5 EQPs).
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:29 am

Ah now I get EQMs and EQPs. Thanks. So basically I need any of EQP, EQM, or segments at any threshold to qualify? And FC gets me 1.5 base miles for EQPs, got it. Damn confusing and it will annoy me if I end getting 0.5 on any flight. That would really lower my incentive to ever fly paid first, if I was going to lose the bump in EQMs we normally got -- that was often my motivating for doing it. (I would lose it because it was canceled out by a trip with 0.5 EQPs).
Yep, you can qualify on EQM, EQP or EQS. You'll never earn 0.5 or 1.5 EQP per base mile in C, F (or Y or F in economy). Premium fares get earlier status with Points than earning by miles.

Code:
First	           A, F, P	100%	50%	1.50
Business	   D, I, J, R	100%	50%	1.50
Full-Fare Econom   Y, B, W*	100%            1.50
* is W on BA, not AA

Unless you're on an award or unpublished fare bucket not listed above.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...s/american.jsp

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 2, 2015 at 9:35 am Reason: Blankety blank coding...
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
The removal of the 51-mile grace window has left me pretty bummed. I do DFW-STL (550 miles) a lot. I hate going there, but at least it was a good use of a sticker, and as a PLT, I normally cleared. Now it costs 2 stickers per leg, which just isn't worth it.
Folks, here's a real life example of how lower level elites can do better under the sticker system. In this situation, a Plat has decided not to upgrade, meaning Glds have a better chance at upgrading if they elect to use stickers.

I do think the elimination of the grace window may make "sticker starved" Plats less likely to use them on impacted routes, allowing "sticker heavy" Glds better chance at upgrades.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by bosman
Folks, here's a real life example of how lower level elites can do better under the sticker system. In this situation, a Plat has decided not to upgrade, meaning Glds have a better chance at upgrading if they elect to use stickers.

I do think the elimination of the grace window may make "sticker starved" Plats less likely to use them on impacted routes, allowing "sticker heavy" Glds better chance at upgrades.
That's a good point, never thought about it like that. Still bums me out that I have to pay more (stickers) and it is just my luck that the route I fly the most is affected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.