Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
There are many routes where you just scrape by... like LAX-YVR which is 1080 Miles. Too bad.

At least for my LAS-LAX-YVR the first segment is complimentary now so it evens out again.
1080 miles has always been 3 stickers. The threshold was 51 miles TOTAL, not per 500 miles. LAS is another like that at 1055 miles, which has always required 3 stickers.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I wonder if AA will ever allow non-elites to trade their stickers for something else.. Not sure what I'm going to do with the 17 stickers in my account..
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:26 pm

I lost my status on AA. Booked an award flight for my son. Noticed that I have 6 500-mile upgrades left. Can I use those on an award flight for my son?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Green_eyes
I lost my status on AA. Booked an award flight for my son. Noticed that I have 6 500-mile upgrades left. Can I use those on an award flight for my son?
I don't believe you can upgrade award tickets. And I believe someone on the PNR needs to have status. May be the account they are coming from needs to have status. At least they do not expire, so you don't have to rush to use them (unless your account totally expires).
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Instruments like SWUs, 500-mile upgrades etc are designed for cash tickets. They cannot upgrade award flights. As pointed out above, your 500-miles upgrades never expire, so leave them alone till you are in a position to use them.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
No.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As AAdvantage is now the combined programme in effect for all AA and US flyers, this will be moved to the Consolidated forum.

~Moderator
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:39 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by johnno
Hey yall, I checked the stickys and read up on this a little, but can anyone confirm my suspicion below...

My first use of 500-mile stickers was for a non-elite friend and myself traveling SLC to DFW. Only 2 stickers were deducted from my account for this ~900 mile trip. I requested this at the airport through the ticketing agent.

Later, I upgraded another non-elite friend and myself from DFW to BNA and 4 stickers were deducted for this >600 mile trip. I had our itineraries linked and requested this online several days in advance of our trip.

I assume I just lucked out on the SLC-DFW trip and my companion was upgraded without a deduction. If not, the DFW-BNA should have been a 2 sticker trip as well.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Microwave
That would be my guess. When I was Platinum, Mrs. Microwave and I would often fly together, and when upgraded there were a few times when stickers for my upgrade would be deducted but stickers for her upgrade never disappeared. You've broken no rules, so I'd consider it a lucky break and save them for next time!
Was your friend on the SLC-DFW flight by any chance a former AA elite? Another possibility is that they had stickers deducted from THEIR account.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:37 pm

"Miles needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" - How quickly is this field updated?

Hello,

As a US Airways preferred flyer I was given 16 AA "500-mile" upgrades when the merger of the loyalty programs was completed in March. As I understand it, it takes 10,000 EQMs to get 4 of these upgrades.

However, on my AA account page, the number in the "Miles needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" field seems to be stuck at 9,240 despite having flown over 6,000 miles since the programs merged. The miles for these flights have posted to my account but the remaining miles to get upgrades doesn't seem to reflect them.

Is it typical for this field to be updated only, say, monthly, instead of as the miles post?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by dwgately
Hello,

As a US Airways preferred flyer I was given 16 AA "500-mile" upgrades when the merger of the loyalty programs was completed in March. As I understand it, it takes 10,000 EQMs to get 4 of these upgrades.

However, on my AA account page, the number in the "Miles needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" field seems to be stuck at 9,240 despite having flown over 6,000 miles since the programs merged. The miles for these flights have posted to my account but the remaining miles to get upgrades doesn't seem to reflect them.

Is it typical for this field to be updated only, say, monthly, instead of as the miles post?
Usually that field of miles to the 4 stickers updates with the posting of the miles, however, the actual stickers normally post 24 hours after the posting of miles (although the stickers are deducted immediately with flight). There seems to be issues with this section on the website, I would email/call AA.
Old May 1, 2015, 12:21 am

I have a question of earning stickers on an EXP qualifying flight.

For example, if you currently are ~2K miles from EXP status, but ~3K miles from earning the next set of stickers, what happens if you fly a 1.4K mile flight connecting to a 6K miles flight? Or what if you fly a 2.5K mile flight connecting to a 1K mile flight? Will the system just see that you are now EXP and thus won't credit you the 4 stickers, even though you flew the 10K miles as a Platinum?
Old May 6, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Last Friday I used stickers to upgrade a 3-sticker flight. Requested within the window and immediately upgraded. The stickers have not yet been deducted from my account...is this normal?
Old May 6, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
Last Friday I used stickers to upgrade a 3-sticker flight. Requested within the window and immediately upgraded. The stickers have not yet been deducted from my account...is this normal?
Yes, normally they will be pulled once the flight is closed out.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:45 am

500 mile upgrade certificates not issued to EXP elites

I was working toward achieving EXP tier status and now have almost achieved it. And just now I've realized that besides benefits, there also are disadvantages while being EXP elite - no 500 mile upgrade certificates are awarded after each 10k EQMs flown. So, basically, while I do not need them, if I want to have companion's seat upgraded, I would need to buy those certificates at $30 each. I do not understand why EXPs are not entitled to this benefit like golds and platinums? Am I missing something here?
Old May 28, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
No you are not. That is how the AA program has worked for many years (at least 10 IIRC- there may have been a couple of years in the early days of the EXP level (introduced c 1998) when EXPs earned and needed 500 mile credits for their own use.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.