Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:10 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doing so will kill your upgrade.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk shadyguido,

As this is an AA specific topic, we're relocating your thread to the appropriate forum. (where further merging may occur with existing threads)

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by shadyguido
I'm Platinum on AA. I've read everything I can get my hands on regarding 500 mile upgrades. As I understand it, the tie-breaker between fares of the same class is "time of request". When does my upgrade request occur? When I buy the ticket? 72 hours prior to departure? When I check in?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Originally Posted by beckoa
Welcome to Flyertalk shadyguido,

As this is an AA specific topic, we're relocating your thread to the appropriate forum. (where further merging may occur with existing threads)

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
And I in turn will merge it into the extant consolidated thread.

~Moderator
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
So the way I understand these 500-mile stickers, if I am Gold and if I am traveling with a non-elite companion on a two-segment flight (1st segment=369 miles, 2nd segment=1039 miles), I can expect 7 stickers (3 for me and 4 for my companion) to be deducted from my account if we are upgraded on both segments, correct.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:36 pm

Unused 500-mile upgrades

What happens to 500-mile upgrades when you lose status? Are you still able to use them?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
[ed.]

Last edited by AtlanticX; Aug 1, 2015 at 1:08 pm Reason: Deferring to much wiser folk than me.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
They used to be approved for use with Y or B fares for non-status upgrades; I don't believe that's the case any longer. Link.

OTOH, the e500 "sticker" upgrades won't expire as long as your account remains active, so you'll have future access to them when / if you regain status.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by cosmith
What happens to 500-mile upgrades when you lose status? Are you still able to use them?
No (unless buying full Y fare etc), but they never expire, so they'll stay in your account and you'll be able to use them in future.

It is conceivable that that if your upgrade is requested by a companion elite (must be traveling with you) and it clears, then it could be paid with your stickers. I am not 100% clear on that.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA 2MM EXP, UA 1K, DL Silver
Has there recently been a change in how stickers can be used for flights slightly over a 500 mile limit? I just booked a flight AUS-YUL, and for the way there, the AUS-JFK (1519 miles) is saying 4 stickers, and for the return YUL-DFW (1513 miles) is also 4 stickers. These used to be 3 stickers.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:17 pm
int

Originally Posted by mdavies
Has there recently been a change in how stickers can be used for flights slightly over a 500 mile limit? I just booked a flight AUS-YUL, and for the way there, the AUS-JFK (1519 miles) is saying 4 stickers, and for the return YUL-DFW (1513 miles) is also 4 stickers. These used to be 3 stickers.
Per the wiki on the top of this thread

The up to 51 mile "grace" has been eliminated; a 501 mile sector will require 2 "stickers".
Could it be that?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mdavies
No more grace miles. Annoying, but they had to draw the line somewhere and they did it at 500 miles.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AA 2MM EXP, UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by int
Per the wiki on the top of this thread

Could it be that?
thanks
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
500 hundred mile upgrade ?

Im still battling whether I book US air or american in order to get upgrades, but in the midst of doing this today, i noticed my account has 34 500 mile upgrades? when do i use these and will there be some sort of prompt?
I have flown both us air and american and have never been asked if I want to use these to upgrade--thank you!!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat 100, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC, AmEx Plat
Book your flight with the carrier operating the flight, if flying before Oct 17 (date on which US reservation system is shut down and all reservations migrated to AA system). Book with AA if flying after Oct 17.

Since upgrades are complimentary for you as an EXP, you can use 500-mile upgrades (aka "stickers") to upgrade a companion. If you drop to Platinum or Gold, upgrades are not complimentary and you will have to use stickers to upgrade yourself and any companion.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...desContent.jsp

You'll have the option to request an upgrade for yourself or companion as soon as the reservation is made or put on hold. On AA.com, there are checkboxes and submit button near the bottom of the reservation details page. For complimentary upgrades, the word 'complimentary' appears where the checkboxes would be.

The key difference between the sticker scheme and US's unlimited complimentary scheme is that PLT's and GLD's do not have to compete with everyone on every flight for upgrades. It has been hotly debated on FT about which system is better.

Last edited by MikeORD; Aug 4, 2015 at 10:54 am Reason: Add details on how to request
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by nlkm9
Im still battling whether I book US air or american in order to get upgrades, but in the midst of doing this today, i noticed my account has 34 500 mile upgrades? when do i use these and will there be some sort of prompt?
I have flown both us air and american and have never been asked if I want to use these to upgrade--thank you!!
As an executive platinum you do not use 500 mile "sticker" upgrades as you receive complimentary upgrades. You can use them to upgrade companions that are flying with you. If you drop down to plat or gold they will become useful again.
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.