Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Are you adding your KTN but not getting PreCheck? You can ask the TSA to tell you why! Search for "AskTSA" on Twitter or Facebook and send them a private message, they can look up your record number and tell you what the issue was.
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs
You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
  • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
  • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
  • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
  • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works
In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS
Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.
Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)
See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.
Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?
If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.
Known issues:
  • Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program
  • TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice
  • TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening
  • TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements
  • If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information

For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
On my trip back to the US last week, I got the SSSS on the US arrival flight and no precheck on the connecting flight within the US (but no SSSS on that flight). I assume the two were related though.
My husband has had the SSSS before but I'm not sure I have
Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by aj411
IT glitch and wondering if anyone else has seen this issue.
My profile on AA has my known traveler number (global entry) with the Country of issue (US) selected. All of my dometic itineraries currently booked also show the Country of Issue as US.
I have one international flight coming up next month that has the KTN but there is no country of issue selected. When I select US and Save, it appears to go throguh but when I go back in to the record locator, the Country of Issue is again not selected.
I have no idea if this is due to it being an international flight or a glitch in the interface where the info is ok behind the scenes but just not displaying correctly.
Not calling AA today (they have enough issues today) btu wondering if this is normal.

Normally I wouldnt think much of it but I got the dreaded SSSS on an international trip home last week and wondering if somehow that was part of the issue
I've noticed this type of issue even on my domestic flights. The KTN is present and I have to select USA each time. I check my profile and USA isn't present. I select it and save the changes. Next time I book a flight, the process begins all over again. Ugh!!

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Jan 11, 2023 at 12:20 pm Reason: corrected typo
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:22 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by atsak
I've had SSSS twice with KTN (Nexus / Global Entry) so it's probably not related. I can't comment on country of issue not displaying but I'd wager that's simply a web display bug. If the KTN is wrong or not coded properly IME, it just ignores it and won't give you pre-check. I'm curious if others have found the same.
I would count that as being a display bug.
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I've noticed this type of issue even on my doestice flights. The KTN is present and I have to select USA each time. I check my profile and USA isn't present. I select it and save the changes. Next time I book a flight, the process begins all over again. Ugh!!
Same issue here. I just select it with each booking, at least it saves the KTN portion.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
I have both a KTN and redress in my profile and EVERY time I make a reservation I have to select USA on both every time. It does not appear to save.

It must be related to the meal selection bug
aj411, LovePrunes and LittleBird like this.

Last edited by jhalapin; Jan 11, 2023 at 9:27 am Reason: Spelling is hard
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Of all the things that are wonky on the AA website, I consider the burden of having to choose the KTN country of issue every time you make a booking to be a pretty small issue.
Unless someone books dozens of flights per day, that is.
jhalapin and S80 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
Of all the things that are wonky on the AA website, I consider the burden of having to choose the KTN country of issue every time you make a booking to be a pretty small issue.
That's certainly a sensible way to look at it. On the other hand, I admit that I find it a particularly frustrating bug because it seems like it must be an easy fix, if someone were paying attention. They clearly already have the technology to save the info from other fields in your profile, why not this one??
ksucats and AirborneLocksmith like this.

Last edited by ZenFlyer; Jan 11, 2023 at 12:30 pm
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by jhalapin
I have both a KTN and redress in my profile and EVERY time I make a reservation I have to select USA on both every time. It does not appear to save.

It must be related to the meal selection bug
Tell me about it. I had a flight I selected a meal (out of 3 chocies which was odd to begin with), then the flight attendant served everyone a salad without asking for chocie (no choice loaded) BUT her inflight app called it a snack basket flight! She actually took a screen capture of my reservation that showed the choices. LOL

Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
I'm ok if it is strictly a bug in display. If it somehow dumps me out of precheck and I have to stand in the lines that snake all over the corridor, I'm not so ok with it.

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 11, 2023 at 12:48 pm
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Same for me. As of a few months ago, I have to manually select United States on every reservation as the KTN country of issue. (but the rest of the data auto-populate)
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Come to think of it, I just had to do this in a new Alaska reservation; I never recall doing that before. In fact, I don't recall being asked the country of issue of my known traveler number in the past (on any airline).
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Same for me. As of a few months ago, I have to manually select United States on every reservation as the KTN country of issue. (but the rest of the data auto-populate)
when you add and save does it stay there?
on mine, I select, save and close. When I come back later it still isn’t there
Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
If you are checking in at the airport due to the need to check bags, just ask the agent to confirm your KTN info. I have had to do that before and when the agent adds it I usually get my TSAprecheck on the BP
aj411 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Flying tomorrow with fam of 4, boarding pass issue?

The fam and I all have Global Entry but for some reason, just happened to notice that on AA boarding passes, the wife's BP doesn't show TSAPre. So only 3/4 of us are showing Pre.

Im about to Tweet to AA. All the passport and GE info was input. Not sure how to resolve.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
At the ticket counter, you may be able to ask the agent to remove your spouse's KTN and add it back in. This may clear the issue and allow for PreCheck to appear. Worked a couple times for members in my parties. Not guaranteed and PreCheck is not guaranteed to be given every time you travel on a participating airline as a PreCheck member.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
So I have to give it to Twitter, they resolve it within 30 mins.

Ik now preCkeck is not guaranteed but it begs the question, why not, right? Especially in this case where it was a party of 4 with all the same credentials.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 11:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by the phoenix
Ik now preCkeck is not guaranteed but it begs the question, why not, right? Especially in this case where it was a party of 4 with all the same credentials.
That question comes up quite regularly, and I'm sure there's a thread for it in the Trusted Travelers forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/

Yes, I found the thread here:
Trusted Traveler Not Receiving PreCheck [merged threads]

It is a program that AA participates in, but they don't control it (other than helping to get your credentials in your bookings).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.