Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
As far as I know AA only has “ITI” international to international baggage transfer in DFW and MIA. In those two airports your bags will be tagged a red ITI sign and will go directly to your destination.

So for JFK, probably have to retrieve and recheck.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No I-T-I at JFK, so the process will be the same as for all connections whether onwards international or domestic.

At GIG, the bags should be tagged to LHR, but will be offloaded at JFK for OP to cart through Customs and then drop post-Customs before heading through security and then off to his departure gate. If by chance, GIG won't tag the bags to LHR, the only difference is that rather than dropping the bags post Customs, OP will need to wait for a minute or two to have an agent print a new tag.

Because the US does not have "transit" once OP is through Customs and has dropped off his bags, he is free to head into Manhattan or off to his departure gate as he chooses.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:36 am

Very easy, and the same as any other T8-T8 (from an inbound international) connection. You will collect your bag after immigration then re-check it after customs.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:03 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, note that the Recheck counter is between customs and the "electric door" that marks the end of the "entry into the USA procedures".

Flow: Immigration, Bag claim, Customs, Bag Recheck, and finally the electric door that lets you enter the USA.

It is NOT the bag check counter that newly departing passengers use to check in ("ticketing counter")
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:12 am

What is the minimum connection time for my trip, please?

AA PIT-JFK T8. Arrive just before 3pm
BA JFK- LHR T7 Depart 6:30pm

I have GE. Me thinks I’ll have enough time.
Sorry, I worry too much.

ETA: No checked baggage.

Last edited by CosmosHuman; Sep 8, 2018 at 7:33 am
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman

I have GE. Me thinks I’ll have enough time.
Sorry, I worry too much.
The official MCT as per ExpertFlyer looks to be 2 hours
AA-BA DI 2.00 ALL - FLT 1500 - 1630 TRM 7 - 8
AA-** DI 2.00 TRM 8 - 7
Assuming the flight from PIT arrives in the Eagle's Nest, even allowing 45 to walk outside the terminal and another 30 minutes to get to Terminal 7 (both of which are overestimates), you'd end up with plenty of time to clear security and get to the gate.

If you're on separate tickets, it becomes a bit more risky because bags won't be transferred, but it's still doable.
Edit: No checked bags makes this irrelevant.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:52 am

Thanks. All on one ticket. I should be OK.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:20 pm

Isn’t there a jitney train going to all the terminals? I don’t mind walking, but if there’s transport, I’ll take it.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Isn’t there a jitney train going to all the terminals? I don’t mind walking, but if there’s transport, I’ll take it.
The JFK AirTrain will take you from Terminal 8 to Terminal 7. Make sure to get on the Gold "All Terminals" train.

Or else you may find yourself at Federal Circle.

I really wouldn't recommend walking. I'm not even sure it's possible.
CosmosHuman likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
The JFK AirTrain will take you from Terminal 8 to Terminal 7. Make sure to get on the Gold "All Terminals" train.

Or else you may find yourself at Federal Circle.

I really wouldn't recommend walking. I'm not even sure it's possible.
Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by KeptiFI
Hey guys,

First post, long time reader...

I have a flight from Helsinki, Finland to JFK (Finnair) and then connection with AA to Miami from JFK.

There is 1 hour and 15 minutes between the flights. I do not believe this meets the MCT even? They are on the same ticket, though.
I wrote them on Twitter and they said it will be fine.

Do you think it's possible to make this connection? I believe I still have to go through immigration and also take my suitcase through customs, or?

Thanks!
Hi all! I’m considering a very similar connection - HEL-MIA via JFK, AY arriving at 15:55 and then AA departing at 17:20 - all business class and in one ticket. There’s two of us, hand baggage only, one European passport with ESTA and the other with a B1/B2 visa. How doable would this be on a Saturday in December?

TIA
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by FlyingCow

Hi all! I’m considering a very similar connection - HEL-MIA via JFK, AY arriving at 15:55 and then AA departing at 17:20 - all business class and in one ticket. There’s two of us, hand baggage only, one European passport with ESTA and the other with a B1/B2 visa. How doable would this be on a Saturday in December?

TIA
In business with carry-on only you will be fine, although it obviously doesn't leave a lot of spare time should things get delayed. Worst case you can just get rebooked over on a LGA-MIA flight later that evening.
FlyingCow likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:45 am

I have GE.
I'm not sure what Global Entry has to do with your domestic-international connection.

But I'd like to comment on the nearly 3rd world conditions we experienced at JFK immigration last week, while making an Int'l-Domestic connection. Arriving in the T-8 immigration hall, the regular line looked like it would take an hour or more.

And the GE line was 25 deep, because out of 8 GE terminals available, only 2 were operable. On the rest, the screens indicated "Out of Service". It took us about 30 minutes to make it to one of the terminals, and by that time the GE line was 60 to 75 people deep. I shudder at their wait.

BTW, those with tight connections and the coveted neon orange card were given no consideration by immigration. Even with GE, they were forced to the back of the line.

Exiting customs into that sad, crowded, narrow passageway out to the street, we looked all over for some decent signage for getting to domestic departures. We were rushed, and instead of searching for an escalator, we ended up at the one working elevator up to departures. Another line of people with carts full of luggage meant waiting through 3 cycles of elevator up-and-downs before we were able to squeeze onto one.

I do a couple of international connections through JFK every year (which I've always found preferable to MIA), and I don't ever remember it being this bad.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
In business with carry-on only you will be fine, although it obviously doesn't leave a lot of spare time should things get delayed. Worst case you can just get rebooked over on a LGA-MIA flight later that evening.
That’s grand then - tight but doable. When I checked for alternatives should the connection go belly up I completely neglected to check for other airports, thanks for the heads-up
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
So with B6 taking over T5-T7 as awarded by NYPA and BA having a lease on T7 until 2022, what are the odds that BA will shift to T8 and they will finish the original build out. I doubt the two wings off the Main Terminal close to the road will never get finished, but maybe the gates to the right of 16 will be added. What does the group think

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.