Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by grandsquirrel
AA has offered to move me to an earlier SFO-JFK service, but it would be at a very inconvenient time for me. So I guess I have to decide if I want to deal with that, or the possible consequences of a delay.

Thanks for your help!
AA should be quite flexible in rerouting due to a schedule change. If you don't absolutely need to arrive at LGW, take the three hour time savings and gently but firmly push AA to reroute you on a non-stop service. If you have the flight numbers handy when you call and know exactly what to ask for, your odds improve nicely.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:01 pm

Is this an award ticket? If so, you can probably get them to reaccommodate you on the AA JFK--> LHR flight and save ~$1100 in fees.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:06 pm

Hi everybody, and thanks for all your help.
After reading all the posts, I have decided that I will definitely not leave this alone and change my itinerary.
I just called AA again and the agent would just not believe that the MCT is 2 hours betwen terminals 8 and 7 for domestic->international flights. I told him I keep getting emails from AA, to no avail.
He did offer to rebook me on the super inconvenient flight, but would not agree to reroute on a direct flight because the second flight is on BA. The only Oneworld direct flights I saw are BA 284 and BA 286. Not sure if that adds another hurdle that no AA flights fly that route that day.
I refused the offer and will try again tomorrow at another time with another agent who hopefully will be more helpful.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
After reading all the posts, I have decided that I will definitely not leave this alone and change my itinerary.
I just called AA again and the agent would just not believe that the MCT is 2 hours betwen terminals 8 and 7 for domestic->international flights. I told him I keep getting emails from AA, to no avail.
He did offer to rebook me on the super inconvenient flight, but would not agree to reroute on a direct flight because the second flight is on BA. The only Oneworld direct flights I saw are BA 284 and BA 286. Not sure if that adds another hurdle that no AA flights fly that route that day.
I refused the offer and will try again tomorrow at another time with another agent who hopefully will be more helpful.
AA codeshares with BA on the direct SFO-LHR flights. Perhaps the reason that the agent refused to rebook you onto one (even though AA's rebooking options allow it when there is a lost connection) is because he or she did not 'believe' you that you actually had lost the connection. Ask to speak to a supervisory next time you call if you're going nowhere with your rerouting request.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
When you call back, look up the AA codeshare flight numbers for the SFO-LHR flights and ask for those specifically. This can sometimes make it easier for an agent.

So rather than asking for BA 284 SFO-LHR, say something like "it looks like there is an AA flight 6789 from SFO-LHR, can you rebook me to that" and go from there. Don't mention anything about the flight being operated by BA initially.

If they were to give you any more slack about the flight being operated by BA, ask them how that's any different from your current booking through JFK. This should be a relatively easy change however as with all things AA these days you may have to HUCA a few times.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA will see immediately that they are rebooking onto BA. At a front line level, agents know they are empowered to book across the two carriers. At a business level, they are empowered because it is a JV and thus a revenue neutral decision.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:36 am

MCT T7 to T8 JFK

All

Can anyone enlighten me as to the MCT at JFK for T7 to T8? This will be a domestic arrival at T7 (from London City). AA have changed my onward flight to MIA via CLT and before I ring them to try to get a better flight to MIA I want to know if a 1:54 connection time is allowed!

Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
The published MCT for ID Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 is 1:45. AA does not publish a DD connection time for Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 but there's no reason it would be more than 1:45. The standard DD MCT is 1 hour.

That being said, 1:54 would be too close for comfort for many people on a terminal change at JFK. You may still have luck getting the agent to change the flights. Key suggestion: have the flight number(s) for the flight(s) you want before you call. You will have much better luck if you feed the flight numbers to the agent than if you ask them to find an alternate flight for you.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0
The published MCT for ID Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 is 1:45. AA does not publish a DD connection time for Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 but there's no reason it would be more than 1:45. The standard DD MCT is 1 hour.

That being said, 1:54 would be too close for comfort for many people on a terminal change at JFK. You may still have luck getting the agent to change the flights. Key suggestion: have the flight number(s) for the flight(s) you want before you call. You will have much better luck if you feed the flight numbers to the agent than if you ask them to find an alternate flight for you.
Great. Thanks
Old May 1, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Parking at JFK

I have an upcoming trip starting at JFK (not my usual airport). A lot of the reviews of the off-site parking facilities have some pretty negative items, specifically around their shuttle services not being all that great and timely. I'm debating between using the airport's long term parking and the short term Red parking right next to Terminal 8. The difference in price is about $200 vs. $400 for my stay.

I see for the long term that the AirTrain is involved. It's going to be 2 adults carrying 2 full size checked bags, 2 carry-on bags, plus 2 backpacks. How much of a pain is it going to be with this much luggage using the AirTrain? I know everyone's opinion is going to vary, but I'm curious of others' experience with this, and if it is significantly easier to park right next to the terminal. Also, how often does the AirTrain run to the long term parking lot?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 2, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I have an upcoming trip starting at JFK (not my usual airport). A lot of the reviews of the off-site parking facilities have some pretty negative items, specifically around their shuttle services not being all that great and timely. I'm debating between using the airport's long term parking and the short term Red parking right next to Terminal 8. The difference in price is about $200 vs. $400 for my stay.

I see for the long term that the AirTrain is involved. It's going to be 2 adults carrying 2 full size checked bags, 2 carry-on bags, plus 2 backpacks. How much of a pain is it going to be with this much luggage using the AirTrain? I know everyone's opinion is going to vary, but I'm curious of others' experience with this, and if it is significantly easier to park right next to the terminal. Also, how often does the AirTrain run to the long term parking lot?

Thanks in advance!
IMO the AirTrain experience is fairly smooth, possibly smoother than taking a shuttle. For $200 difference I would definitely take the AirTrain. They run fairly frequently, too (every few minutes).
Old May 2, 2019, 1:21 pm
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Drop off your luggage at the terminal and have one person wait while the other parks in long term. Air train runs fairly often so the wait should not be to bad.
HofstraJet likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Arrival at 17:55 assume 140 minutes is plenty

I am planning to book LHR-JFK (AA105) and JFK-LAX (AA300). The connection time is 140 minutes which I assume is plenty.

Just a few points. As I will have a "new" esta cam I still use a booth or will need to see an agent. Also is T8 a busy time at 6pm (Thursday in early December)
Old May 3, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by FlyingWelshie
I am planning to book LHR-JFK (AA105) and JFK-LAX (AA300). The connection time is 140 minutes which I assume is plenty.

Just a few points. As I will have a "new" esta cam I still use a booth or will need to see an agent. Also is T8 a busy time at 6pm (Thursday in early December)
Yea, 2 hr 20 mins will be plenty of time. Might be a few other flights around that time, but by and large arriving at 6pm at T8 will not be an exceedingly busy time. Not sure on the ESTA question.
FlyingWelshie likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by GNRMatt

Thanks in advance!
I don't know where you are driving in from, but Uber may be far far less money. Also, I'm a HUGE proponent of using the LIRR (or subway) to Jamaica to access the AirTrain. If you are concerned with all of your baggage and stuff, don't worry, you will be among many families with plenty of gear on the AirTrain (and the LIRR for that matter).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.