Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: Up in the air...
Quick one for the AA JFK gurus here:

I'm on AA95 (MAD-JFK arr 13:10) in a couple weeks then connecting onto AA306 (JFK-LAX dep 17:00) all in one J ticket with OWE (BA) and HBO. I'm on a pre-existing ESTA but no GE (so will have to use the APC).
Assuming no flight delays and minimal CBP cues (not sure what T8 looks like at 1pm on a saturday), I'm thinking I could try my luck to get on the AA341 dep 14:30 instead.

Question is: what is the earliest AA contact point I can request this change if I see I'm likely to make it? It it only at Flagship Check-in?

I know it's unlikely to happen as it implies at 1h20 connection time I-D, but if I can then it spares me >2 hours at the JFK lounge and provides a bigger buffer for the other tight connection I then have on arrival at LAX (which is the last flight of the day so I really don't want to miss that because of a AA306 delay)...
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by FT-Diplomat
Quick one for the AA JFK gurus here:

I'm on AA95 (MAD-JFK arr 13:10) in a couple weeks then connecting onto AA306 (JFK-LAX dep 17:00) all in one J ticket with OWE (BA) and HBO. I'm on a pre-existing ESTA but no GE (so will have to use the APC).
Assuming no flight delays and minimal CBP cues (not sure what T8 looks like at 1pm on a saturday), I'm thinking I could try my luck to get on the AA341 dep 14:30 instead.

Question is: what is the earliest AA contact point I can request this change if I see I'm likely to make it? It it only at Flagship Check-in?

I know it's unlikely to happen as it implies at 1h20 connection time I-D, but if I can then it spares me >2 hours at the JFK lounge and provides a bigger buffer for the other tight connection I then have on arrival at LAX (which is the last flight of the day so I really don't want to miss that because of a AA306 delay)...
If you're below the MCT you'd probably wouldn't be allowed a change until you arrive at JFK and clear customs. If you can don't check bags. Not sure how booking this through OWE would impact the ability to change to an earlier flight or standby. The other issue you might have is being able to go on an earlier flight but remain in J.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by FT-Diplomat
You can ask at the baggage recheck desk right after you exit customs, but they’re probably the least powerful agents you’ll encounter. In terms of power to make the change (if J is available), it’s probably:

1. Gate agent for the flight you’re trying to change to
2. Lounge agents
3. Check-in agents
4. Baggage re-check agents

No harm in asking each as you encounter them, but since you’re HBO I’d skip the baggage re-check agents and head straight upstairs to the check-in agents.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: Up in the air...
Originally Posted by Blumie

You can ask at the baggage recheck desk right after you exit customs, but they’re probably the least powerful agents you’ll encounter. In terms of power to make the change (if J is available), it’s probably:

1. Gate agent for the flight you’re trying to change to
2. Lounge agents
3. Check-in agents
4. Baggage re-check agents

No harm in asking each as you encounter them, but since you’re HBO I’d skip the baggage re-check agents and head straight upstairs to the check-in agents.
Great, this is exactly what I was looking to understand: thanks @Blumie and @newyorkgeorge !
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:38 am

3.5 hours terminal change

Flying out AA236 business to FCO 5:10PM next saturday.

Looking at domestic arrrival at 1:26PM on DL. Carry on bags only.

Enough time?

Other option is B6 arriving at 1037 AM
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by CHSDOC

Enough time?

3.5 hrs. is plenty of time even if you had checked bags.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by CHSDOC

Enough time?

Plenty of time ! if you are coming out of T2, jump on internal JFK AirTrain and head to the next stop which is T8.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:37 am

I got AUH-JFK-CLT-DFW with AUH-JFK on F in few days on Etihad. Just noticed with all flight time change, connection time for AA from JFK to CLT is 56 minutes. Arriving at JFK at 4:05 PM, flight to CLT at 5:01 PM. Immigration will be done in abu dhabi but will have 2 checked in bags to collect and recheck for domestic. Do have Global / Pre. There is no other flight after 5 from JFK to get me to DFW for the evening. If I call AA, they will reschedule me for may be next day since this is not even legal connection time? Should I just reach JFK and see how things work out? Suggestions? Thoughts? EY to AA terminal change and luggage / customs.

Last edited by jasmians; Nov 17, 2019 at 7:43 am
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasmians
I got AUH-JFK-CLT-DFW with AUH-JFK on F in few days on Etihad. Just noticed with all flight time change, connection time for AA from JFK to CLT is 56 minutes. Arriving at JFK at 4:05 PM, flight to CLT at 5:01 PM. Immigration will be done in abu dhabi but will have 2 checked in bags to collect and recheck for domestic. Do have Global / Pre. There is no other flight after 5 from JFK to get me to DFW for the evening. If I call AA, they will reschedule me for may be next day since this is not even legal connection time? Should I just reach JFK and see how things work out? Suggestions? Thoughts? EY to AA terminal change and luggage / customs.
Customs is done at AUH. Your bags will be checked through and you don’t need to collect them at JFK. Just be sure that you don’t check anything you need urgently as there is a high risk of your bags not making it on time.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
Customs is done at AUH. Your bags will be checked through and you don’t need to collect them at JFK. Just be sure that you don’t check anything you need urgently as there is a high risk of your bags not making it on time.
Oh Cool! I didn't realize customs is also done in AUH. If I don't have to collect and re-check my bags for domestic, that's lot of time saved. Thank you!
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasmians
Oh Cool! I didn't realize customs is also done in AUH. If I don't have to collect and re-check my bags for domestic, that's lot of time saved. Thank you!
Also note that on certain days of the week, AA operates a 759p LGA-DFW flight. If you don’t mind collecting your bags and hopping in a taxi or uber from JFK to LGA, you and your bags will have better odds of baking it to DFW together.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Question to those knowledgeable about JFK: I read (somewhere) that runway repair was due to wind down sometime soon...any idea when afternoon flights to DCA will start up again?

How can I use SWUs when afternoon flights from Europe leave me stranded at JFK (or want me to taxi over to LGA and take the shuttle)?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
JFK Intn'l Outbound Connection Time?

Long time CO/UA EWE flyer moving on and looking at a LAS to FCO trip in the fall. AA is offering a good fare on a PE seat going LAS to JFK to FCO but the connection time at JFK is only 45 minutes. Seems crazy to me but I have never connected there. I know I would not try it at EWR so I am looking for some advice here. Pretty much done with UA and their crap and they do not offer any PE service on routes I am looking at now.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is doable. But, you will of course, misconnect, if there is any appreciable delay. However, as you are on one ticket, AA will rebook.you.

The real question is how important your schedule is on arrival. If you can sustain a delay, I would take the lower fare. If you have "must do" meetings, then the savings likely are not worth it.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
thanks for confirming my fears. No meetings to worry about since I am retired now but I would hate to lose a day on this trip. Delta has some options too or UA to ORD and the LH to FCO....kind of nice not being tied to one airline anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.