Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
1h20 layover at JFK?

Hi,

I booked a reward fight TXL-NYC on AB (I love their low YQ) that arrives at 16:00. I'd like to continue my trip to Las Vegas and there is an AA flight at 17:20. Would I be able to make it? I'll have no checked luggage and I have Global Entry.

Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:12 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
On a separate ticket? Not something I'd chance. You're on a T8-T8 transfer, but even with GE you still need to re-clear security which can be sticky at JFK even in the TSA-Pre line.

AA is the major user of T8, you'd be connecting to one of their flights, and potentially using their policy of protecting oneworld connections, so let's move this over to that forum where you'll probably get more comprehensive advice.

/mod
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by skyscanner
Hi,

I booked a reward fight TXL-NYC on AB (I love their low YQ) that arrives at 16:00. I'd like to continue my trip to Las Vegas and there is an AA flight at 17:20. Would I be able to make it? I'll have no checked luggage and I have Global Entry.

Thanks!
If the incoming flight is not delayed, then you have plenty of time with no checked luggage and GE.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Two items

1)The map in the Wiki is badly out of date. There hasn't been a T3 at JFK for at least a couple of years. Also T9 is now part of T8. I've updated it so not to cause confusion.

2)What is the realistic chances of connecting between AA (scheduled arrival at 750pm) and QR (scheduled departure of 910pm)? I'm in J (hopefully F if the airport will process the upgrade) on AA and J on QR if it helps any.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Two items

1)The map in the Wiki is badly out of date. There hasn't been a T3 at JFK for at least a couple of years. Also T9 is now part of T8. I've updated it so not to cause confusion.

2)What is the realistic chances of connecting between AA (scheduled arrival at 750pm) and QR (scheduled departure of 910pm)? I'm in J (hopefully F if the airport will process the upgrade) on AA and J on QR if it helps any.
Where are you coming in from?

IIRC QR's evening flight departs from T8, so if you're coming in from an AA domestic (or precleared) flight you'll have plenty of time, assuming anything resembling an on-time inbound.

If you're coming from an international flight it will be tighter and depend on whether you have luggage and Global Entry...
Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Where are you coming in from?

IIRC QR's evening flight departs from T8, so if you're coming in from an AA domestic (or precleared) flight you'll have plenty of time, assuming anything resembling an on-time inbound.

If you're coming from an international flight it will be tighter and depend on whether you have luggage and Global Entry...
Coming in from LAX on AA004.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
You'll be completely fine. Unless you are a very slow walker, the most one would need to walk to a connecting gate is about 15 minutes (10 if you walk like a New Yorker).

BTW, for those connecting from international flights, I just arrived CDG-JFK, connecting JFK-BOS, and made it from the door of the plane to a seat in the Flagship Lounge -- i.e, the walk to immigration, clearing immigration with GE, exiting customs, making my way upstairs to the departure level, clearing security via the pre-check line -- in about 20 minutes. And while this cannot always be guaranteed -- reclearing security typically is where one might find delays -- I find that this is very consistent with my experience at JFK.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Blumie
BTW, for those connecting from international flights, I just arrived CDG-JFK, connecting JFK-BOS, and made it from the door of the plane to a seat in the Flagship Lounge -- i.e, the walk to immigration, clearing immigration with GE, exiting customs, making my way upstairs to the departure level, clearing security via the pre-check line -- in about 20 minutes. And while this cannot always be guaranteed -- reclearing security typically is where one might find delays -- I find that this is very consistent with my experience at JFK.
Immigration would be another potential cause for delay if without Global Entry...
Old Dec 25, 2016, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

You'll be completely fine. Unless you are a very slow walker, the most one would need to walk to a connecting gate is about 15 minutes (10 if you walk like a New Yorker).

Thanks, first time going through T8 at JFK. Plenty of experience with T4/2 and T1 as a Delta DM. However, no experience with the other terminals at JFK.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Sorry for my convoluted language. If LAX-JFK departs LAX on time, you almost certainly will make the connection without a problem. If your LAX departure is more than, say, 15 minutes late, inquire at LAX about moving to one of the LAX-LHR non-stops (assuming you would find that desirable).

If you do misconnect at JFK, though, it shouldn't be a big deal as there are several later flights on AA and BA.
In the end, AA2 LAX-JFK left the gate on time, even early, only to wait then 40 min for takeoff...

We disembarked at JFK gate 12 at 6:12PM (more 6:14 on my watch) but when arrived at gate 14, I waved bye bye to AA100 to LHR while they were pulling the bridge.

No AA personnel in sight, I went to the lounge and arranged a re-booking on AA106. The lounge agent was very friendly and efficient, and even came to search me on the AA106 bridge, during boarding, in order to give me the BP for the next connecting flight at LHR.

So, slightly annoying but quickly solved.
However, LAX seems to be quite a mess about waiting time both on arrival and departure (25/30 min wait for a gate on my previous DCA-LAX flight)
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Platinum
Looking for some feedback on two connection options Intl - Dom

My parents who live in Los Angeles booked business class award tickets to EZE with the return EZE - JFK and now find themselves needing to purchase a separate ticket from JFK to LAX. I have looked at changing the award tickets so that they include a return all the way to LAX but the saver award to any US gateway is no longer available around their planned travel dates and they do not have enough miles to make the change to a standard award ticket.

They do not have GE (and are not planning on getting it) or any status with AA and they will be checking bags. I have one single personal experience on NZ who connected two separate reservations at check in (ADL-AKL to AKL-LAX) so that the bags were checked through to the final destination with boarding passes issued for all flights. Although I am hopeful that AA might be able to do that during the check-in at EZE, I am not counting on that so worst case scenario is immigration, get bags, customs, check in for JFK - LAX, security, to the gate.

EZE-JFK arrives at 7:33 AM and I can find JFK-LAX options at 10:00 AM or noon. The almost 2h 30m connection to the 10:00 AM flight is reasonably above the 1h 45m MCT but I have no sense of JFK immigration, customs, and security lines since I have never traveled through JFK that way. Looking for some feedback from regular JFK travelers as to the relative risk of booking the 10:00 AM flight in this scenario versus having a planned 4h 30m connection by booking the noon flight. Traveling in March and arriving JFK on a Thursday morning if that has any relevance to an answer.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Lefly
In the end, AA2 LAX-JFK left the gate on time, even early, only to wait then 40 min for takeoff...

We disembarked at JFK gate 12 at 6:12PM (more 6:14 on my watch) but when arrived at gate 14, I waved bye bye to AA100 to LHR while they were pulling the bridge.

No AA personnel in sight, I went to the lounge and arranged a re-booking on AA106. The lounge agent was very friendly and efficient, and even came to search me on the AA106 bridge, during boarding, in order to give me the BP for the next connecting flight at LHR.

So, slightly annoying but quickly solved.
However, LAX seems to be quite a mess about waiting time both on arrival and departure (25/30 min wait for a gate on my previous DCA-LAX flight)
Thanks for the update. I'm glad it all worked out. I have to say that in many, many LAX departures, I cannot remember any significant ground delay taking off. Was it traffic on the ground at LAX, or was there some sort of ATC ground hold that was delaying flights destined for JFK?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:22 am

Thanks for the update. I'm glad it all worked out. I have to say that in many, many LAX departures, I cannot remember any significant ground delay taking off. Was it traffic on the ground at LAX, or was there some sort of ATC ground hold that was delaying flights destined for JFK?
Big takeoff queue according to the pilot announcement. Exact reason for that, unknown.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Lefly
Big takeoff queue according to the pilot announcement. Exact reason for that, unknown.
LAX is currently experiencing delays across the board due to runway and taxiway construction.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
LAX is currently experiencing delays across the board due to runway and taxiway construction.
Thank you, I thought was that but pilot never specified.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.