Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:31 pm

3.5 Hours CT

Arriving from Buenos Aires at 9:55am. Can I make a 1:30pm flight to Phoenix with customs, luggage, and a terminal change? This involves two separate airlines/tickets.

Arriving from BA on Aerolineas Argentina. Flight to PHX on AA. This is Terminal 7 to 8. US citizen. No GE. I live in AZ, will be returning from two week trip to ARG.

Should be good, right?

Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Tommyx
Arriving from Buenos Aires at 9:55am. Can I make a 1:30pm flight to Phoenix with customs, luggage, and a terminal change? This involves two separate airlines/tickets.

Arriving from BA on Aerolineas Argentina. Flight to PHX on AA. This is Terminal 7 to 8. US citizen. No GE. I live in AZ, will be returning from two week trip to ARG.

Should be good, right?

Thanks!
Should be. Do yourself a favor: download the MOBILE PASSPORT app. Save time at Immigration and Custims. Take a screen shot to assure the information for USCBP doesn't tank.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Flying out of T8 at 9.30pm Saturday 18th on AirBerlin in business, with wife and 5yo child. I don't use JFK often at all so looking for advice, especially as I don't know what kind of buffers to add in for delays.

Will be dropping a rental car at Federal Circle, and then proceeding to T8 bag drop then security. What time should we aim to drop the car in order to remove as much risk/stress from the situation as possible? (I'd be a bit more cavalier about things if I were traveling solo).

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:48 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tommyx

Should be good, right?

Thanks!
I've only arrived at T7 ONCE (normally T8). Several flights arrived at about the same time (which might not be the case for you): even US Cit. with GE had trouble just getting to the customs hall; others were in a huge queue. Once in the customs hall, there were long lines.
T8 doesn't have many flights between noon and 3 pm, TSA reduces their operations; so even though there are fewer pax, the lines could be long.
You may make it, but it could be close. There is also a non-stop from jfk to phx at 4:29 pm (which could serve as a back-up). [Lots of jfk-clt-phx, which I assume you wouldn't want to use!]
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: BA
LAS-JFK-LHR with 41mins connection??

Looking at a LAS-JFK-LHR ticket on AA in J. The connection time comes up as 41 mins at JFK, doesn't this sound a little on the short side considering I am moving from domestic to TATL flight?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Numb3rs
Looking at a LAS-JFK-LHR ticket on AA in J. The connection time comes up as 41 mins at JFK, doesn't this sound a little on the short side considering I am moving from domestic to TATL flight?
If it's all on AA metal and your flight arrives on time it shouldn't be a problem. Terminal 8 isn't that big. Longest part is if you have to take the tunnel between one side to the other and that takes less than 5 min at an easy walking pace.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:12 pm

You're supposed to be "available for boarding" 30 minutes before departure of the TATL. Will they give some forgiveness, seeing that you're making that connection? The flight can't have the slightest delay. There may be later flights to LHR, but with available J seats?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I've had multiple flights in the last month show up at various hubs 15 minutes early and then sit for 25-35 minutes because the plane leaving the gate hasn't left yet for whatever reason.

I don't trust any AA-AA hub connection of less than 55 minutes, and that's domestic-domestic.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Why put yourself in that situation? Anything can happen...take an earlier flight out of Las Vegas and relax in the club at Jfk and be relaxed when you get on your overnight flight
My 2 cents
Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Definitely a bit short. On the other hand, unless it's the last flight of the evening, there should be plenty of opportunities to be reaccommodated. You'll just have to be okay with arriving late and taking whichever seat they assign you.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Why put yourself in that situation? Anything can happen...take an earlier flight out of Las Vegas and relax in the club at Jfk and be relaxed when you get on your overnight flight
My 2 cents
This. While its possible to make that connection if everything works out perfectly you have basically no room for error with a 41 min connection, that means boarding will likely have started by the time you land (for plans that have T-45 boarding) or will be starting shortly thereafter.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We have merged your query into the existing thread on this topic. Please read the wikipost at the top of the thread. /Moderator

IMO the best advice is to use SDFC to make an earlier flight. How did you get something booked so tightly?

Originally Posted by ryan182
This. While its possible to make that connection if everything works out perfectly you have basically no room for error with a 41 min connection, that means boarding will likely have started by the time you land (for plans that have T-45 boarding) or will be starting shortly thereafter.
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
My 2 cents
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by JDiver
We have merged your query into the existing thread on this topic. Please read the wikipost at the top of the thread. /Moderator

IMO the best advice is to use SDFC to make an earlier flight. How did you get something booked so tightly?
It was the only cheap J fare on the AA website. They shouldn't have allowed me to book it then? Can I show up at the LAS airport and ask to be moved over to a later flight departing from JFK?

Last edited by Numb3rs; Jun 11, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by JDiver

They were probably able to book it because the MCT at JFK for D-I all on AA is 40 minutes.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
It was the only cheap J fare on the AA website. They shouldn't have allowed me to book it then? Can I show up at the LAS airport and ask to be moved over to a later flight departing from JFK?
It's a legal connection, just not particularly advisable if risk-averse.

My plan A would be trying changing on an earlier LAS-JFK. If that doesn't work, make sure you know your arrival and departure gates at JFK before landing (ask cabin crew). There is a terminal map in the back of American Way magazine (seat back pocket), look at that before arrival to make sure you hit the ground running.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.