Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold
Is this whole "tugging planes into the gate" stuff relatively new at JFK T8?

The last few flights I have been on (including the last 5 transcons) we have waited up to 20 minutes for a tug to come and get the plane the last 20 feet to the gate.

Can't remember it being as big of an issue in the past.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
This may be a dumb question, but I figured I'd ask anyhow so I know for sure. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I'll be flying in to JFK from MAD and then connecting to a flight home to DCA. Since I'll need to retrieve my checked luggage at JFK and then re-check it with AA for my domestic flight, is it safe to assume that I could buy a bottle of alcohol from duty-free in MAD and then transfer it from my carry-on to my checked bag in the customs area at JFK before re-checking the bag, so I can get it home to DCA without running afoul of TSA?
Old May 2, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by whimsey21
This may be a dumb question, but I figured I'd ask anyhow so I know for sure. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I'll be flying in to JFK from MAD and then connecting to a flight home to DCA. Since I'll need to retrieve my checked luggage at JFK and then re-check it with AA for my domestic flight, is it safe to assume that I could buy a bottle of alcohol from duty-free in MAD and then transfer it from my carry-on to my checked bag in the customs area at JFK before re-checking the bag, so I can get it home to DCA without running afoul of TSA?
Yes, you can add items to your checked luggage as its re-scanned by TSA when you recheck it.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by truthknown
Yes, you can add items to your checked luggage as its re-scanned by TSA when you recheck it.
Thanks!
Old May 3, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
I'm landing in JFK off an AY flight from HEL at 3:55 PM. I need to buy a separate JFK-ORD ticket. What is the earliest advisable time for a flight? I'm thinking after 6 PM is safe for AA, maybe 7 PM if I end up using another carrier (the DL flight looks to have the best schedule at the moment, but this is in November so things could change). I have GE and PreCheck and am flying J on AY.
I flew out last Wednesday at 2pm - arrived at 1pm with no baggage and pre check. The pre check lane was open to check for boarding passes but then put me back into the regular line - they told me to show them my boarding pass and I could leave my shoes on. It was a total shi$ show. 2 lanes open for hundreds of people and took me an hour to clear....luckily my flight left 15 minutes late and I made it. I can't remember the last time I flew out of JFK and the priority security check was open - I really miss CK and having access to flagship. TSA is simply horrible here now.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I flew through on Sunday around 2:30 (from Europe); after customs I came upstairs (and luckily my flight to DCA was running late, because my European flight had been late) and was sent over to PreCheck where there were about 10 people in line and I got through in just a few minutes. So it can be fast.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Flying through on Friday, with a 3 hour connection- due to land at 3:25pm on a domestic mainline flight, then depart for SFO at 6:30pm. Looks like there is a strong chance of rain in the forecast, although seemingly no thunderstorms yet- anyone think this would be an issue? I usually try to avoid JFK at all costs, but am on a mileage ticket to SFO in F so no chance to change to an earlier flight to JFK. I *think* 3 hours should be enough time to make the connection and no need to worry, right? What say the experienced JFK users here?
Old May 4, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by ACA321
Flying through on Friday, with a 3 hour connection- due to land at 3:25pm on a domestic mainline flight, then depart for SFO at 6:30pm. Looks like there is a strong chance of rain in the forecast, although seemingly no thunderstorms yet- anyone think this would be an issue? I usually try to avoid JFK at all costs, but am on a mileage ticket to SFO in F so no chance to change to an earlier flight to JFK. I *think* 3 hours should be enough time to make the connection and no need to worry, right? What say the experienced JFK users here?
Just rain for Friday. Three hours on a domestic connection seems like plenty of time. Are you on a regional jet coming in?
Old May 4, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by george 3
Are you on a regional jet coming in?
No- coming in on a 738, so should get higher priority than an RJ if traffic flow is restricted.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I don't think I've ever flown AA out of JFK; mostly just US, and not very often at that. I think my last time at JFK was 4 years ago.

So I have about 7 hours, 40 min between flights at JFK on a Thursday in about a month:
AUS-JFK: arrives at 1:58pm
JFK-GIG: departs at 9:40pm

I will probably leave the airport and do something, just not sure what just yet (there are multiple JFK layover threads in the NYC forum that I've been sifting through). If someone has a specific recommendation, shoot me a PM. Heck, I'd be up for a mini-do if interested.
I would have lounge access, if that is worth checking out.

My main question is...what time should I be back at JFK for that departure. I do have pre-check. I assume that I'll get my boarding pass when I check-in at AUS, if not before (I usually do mobile too, just in case).
Would planning to be at AA @ JFK at 8pm be ok? Are there a ton of other late departures, and should I plan earlier?
Old May 5, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by aztimm
My main question is...what time should I be back at JFK for that departure. I do have pre-check. I assume that I'll get my boarding pass when I check-in at AUS, if not before (I usually do mobile too, just in case).
Would planning to be at AA @ JFK at 8pm be ok? Are there a ton of other late departures, and should I plan earlier?
8pm should be fine. Yes, you would get your BP at AUS, absolute worst case you can pop by the AC upon arrival in JFK and ask them to print it.

If you arrive at JFK at 8 you will have plenty of time to check out the Admirals Club.

There aren't a ton of later departures (the only other JFK-GIG, on TAM, leaves around 8 IIRC).
Old May 5, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by aztimm
I don't think I've ever flown AA out of JFK; mostly just US, and not very often at that. I think my last time at JFK was 4 years ago.

So I have about 7 hours, 40 min between flights at JFK on a Thursday in about a month:
AUS-JFK: arrives at 1:58pm
JFK-GIG: departs at 9:40pm

I will probably leave the airport and do something, just not sure what just yet (there are multiple JFK layover threads in the NYC forum that I've been sifting through). If someone has a specific recommendation, shoot me a PM. Heck, I'd be up for a mini-do if interested.
I would have lounge access, if that is worth checking out.

Quick layover comment - take AirTrain to Jamaica Center and take the subway (E train) into Manhattan. The E train comes across Manhattan on 53rd Street and turns south on 8th Avenue. Plenty to do on most stops in Manhattan.

I've flown JFK GRU many times. The check-in sometimes is a wild card so check in and check your bags before you go to the city. Then, depending on whether you have priority or TSA, get there an hour and a half before departure. By 8pm, most of the Euro flights are gone.

Question - why are you flying from AUS through JFK and not MIA or DFW to GIG?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Another AA I:D JFK-DCA MCT question

Originally Posted by whimsey21
Hi all,
I'm planning a trip to Madrid, and the most attractive return option involves a 1hr 35 minute connection at JFK from the AA flight from Madrid to a domestic AA flight to DCA. From reading this thread, it looks like the MCT I-D is 1:45, and I could instead book a later flight to DCA with a nearly 4 hour layover. I'd rather get home as soon as possible, so I'm wonder what my chances would be of catching the shorter connection? I will have a checked bag, so I'd have to receive that and then drop it off again when passing through customs. Is it worth trying, or am I better off just accepting the longer connection so I'm assured of being on that later flight if its a busy travel day?
I have a similar situation to the one above, so I was wondering, whimsey21, if you traveled yet, and if so, how things worked out for you?

Also, for anyone who is knowledgeable about MCT at JFK, I booked an award ticket months ago that included a return MAD-JFK-DCA. My connection time at JFK was 3h 40m. There was a schedule change, and AA rebooked me on a flight with a 1h 40m I-D connection time. I know that a good number (maybe all) the DCA/JFK flights are on regional carriers/Eagle. I don't have access to Expert Flyer, and through searches here and elsewhere, I saw conflicting information about whether the MCT for AA I-D at JFK was 1:45 or 1:15. I called AA, and after checking with other people, the agent told me that the general MCT for this situation was 1:45, but that there flight # (ranges) specific exceptions with shorter MCTs, and that my flight #s fell into groups for which the MCT was 1:15. I recall seeing some details about flight #s when looking at MCTs for other airports, so I think she probably gave me accurate information, but if anyone can confirm this, that would be helpful.

Also, even if the connection is legal, how risky is it given the following situation?
- Friday afternoon at JFK in September
- Flying business class from Madrid
- Have one checked bag
- Have Global Entry/pre-check/AA Plat status

My alternative is an almost 4 hour connection at JFK. I'm debating changing my ticket or trying to make the short connection.

Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by needtoescape; Jun 7, 2016 at 1:11 pm Reason: typos
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
You might be OK if the bag shows up on time. That would be my only worry, especially since you have GE.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
You have a good chance of making it, and if you do miss your flight you will be rebooked onto the next one anyway.

So unless the next JFK-DCA is completely sold out you lose nothing by sticking with your current reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.