Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Whiskey & Whisky Thread: Woodford Reserve Apr 2016, Glenlivet back June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whiskey & Whisky Thread: Woodford Reserve Apr 2016, Glenlivet back June

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by brp
With all whiskys I like just a touch of water, or about 1-2 ice cubes. The water is said to open up the flavor, and I agree. So, even with the best of it, I have an ice cube (or 2 if small).
Definitely add a few drops of water if you want to open up the flavors of your whisky. The addition of water raises the whisky's temperature by exothermic reaction and allows for the release of volatile aromatics. Ice on the other hand will cool the whisky (d'oh) and locks in the aromatics. So only add ice if you want to suppress some of the flavors.

Back on topic, definitely good to see Woodford on board but AA really needs to up its game with a decent scotch.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 5:40 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
Definitely add a few drops of water if you want to open up the flavors of your whisky. The addition of water raises the whisky's temperature by exothermic reaction and allows for the release of volatile aromatics. Ice on the other hand will cool the whisky (d'oh) and locks in the aromatics. So only add ice if you want to suppress some of the flavors.

Back on topic, definitely good to see Woodford on board but AA really needs to up its game with a decent scotch.
First, I think that the discussion of proper appreciation of the whisk(e)y is on topic

So, your suggestion is that room temperature water is preferable to ice for actually opening up the volatiles? For wine, swirling does the trick, but I always thought that ice worked as well as water for whiskies/whiskeys. Good to learn/try new things. Thanks!

Cheers.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Had this on my last couple of flights

ORD-CDG on 4/7 and it appeared they had plenty as my fiance and I each had 3 or 4. They also had it on the return out of LHR, again seemed like they had plenty.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by brp
First, I think that the discussion of proper appreciation of the whisk(e)y is on topic
^

Originally Posted by brp
So, your suggestion is that room temperature water is preferable to ice for actually opening up the volatiles? For wine, swirling does the trick, but I always thought that ice worked as well as water for whiskies/whiskeys. Good to learn/try new things. Thanks!
There's no right or wrong way to enjoy whisky. Everyone has their own taste preference so it's definitely a YMMV thing. But from a reaction kinetics point of view, whisky is going to respond differently to room temperature water than an ice cube.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:18 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no right or wrong way to enjoy whisky. Everyone has their own taste preference so it's definitely a YMMV thing. But from a reaction kinetics point of view, whisky is going to respond differently to room temperature water than an ice cube.
Oh, agreed. With enough courses in pChem and thermodynamics, this makes sense. I was thinking more about the water than the temperature. But, based on experiences with wine, this makes sense here, too. The most recent glass of Bulleit Bourbon (15 minutes ago ) was water and not ice..and I do taste it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Cheers.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
My SEA-ORD flight from which I write this post has the Woodford and while I too would love the re-introduction of a proper scotch having the Woodford is parsecs better than the dewers white that was on offer previously.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:26 pm

Flew ORD-PVG in J and PVG-DFW in Y. Both flights I asked for Woodford and both times I got a confused response. At least on the ORD-PVG flight the FA went looking for, and found, Woodford. On PVG-DFW the FA told me she never heard of it and was quite sure they didn't have it. This same FA didn't bother to check the manifest for EXPs and challenged me when I told her I was one.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, 1,800,527 miles; Hilton Honors Diamond
^

I am heading to my kitchen to line up 4 glasses of Scotch:
  • Neat
  • Splash of Water
  • Single ice cube
  • Full-on rocks

After sampling all, I will try to decide which I like best!
Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:52 pm

I prefer a few ice cubes to water, but also prefer neat if it's really good scotch.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:04 am

Programs: AA, Marriott, Hilton
My preference for a good single malt is just a splash of water. For lesser single malts and blends, or if it seems too difficult to get just a little water, I'll ask for a couple of ice cubes. While I don't drink bourbon much, I prefer a little more ice to cut the sweetness.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
AA2386 this weekend (Saturday and Sunday) were both loaded with 4 minis. FA said I was the first one to order it that he has seen, but has heard from other FAs that if more than one person orders it, they run out fairly quickly.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:25 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottc42
I am heading to my kitchen to line up 4 glasses of Scotch:
  • Neat
  • Splash of Water
  • Single ice cube
  • Full-on rocks

After sampling all, I will try to decide which I like best!
I had been a "single ice cube" guy for a while. After some discussion in this thread, I tried the "splash of water" approach and found it superior to my taste. Neat seems a bit tight, especially with the better Scotches. They seem to want the water to open them. And being room temp opens them more to my palate than the ice.

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brp
I had been a "single ice cube" guy for a while. After some discussion in this thread, I tried the "splash of water" approach and found it superior to my taste.
I had the same revelation after trying it out a couple days ago. The things you learn on FT
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:05 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjw242
I had the same revelation after trying it out a couple days ago. The things you learn on FT
I've heard there's some good information here about flying on airplanes. Still looking for that stuff

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by brp
I had been a "single ice cube" guy for a while. After some discussion in this thread, I tried the "splash of water" approach and found it superior to my taste. Neat seems a bit tight, especially with the better Scotches. They seem to want the water to open them. And being room temp opens them more to my palate than the ice.
Ahhhh, the wonders of science

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.