Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Whiskey & Whisky Thread: Woodford Reserve Apr 2016, Glenlivet back June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whiskey & Whisky Thread: Woodford Reserve Apr 2016, Glenlivet back June

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb
I flew form DFW to LAX on Monday and the FA indicated that while they didn't have it on this particular flight a previous one had three bottles aboard. Sounds like they are still phasing it in and it may be hit or miss for a while like the Woodford Reserve was at the beginning. Here's crossing my fingers for my flight tomorrow...
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
my findings:

Last Thursday:
JFK-MIA did not have it
MIA-ORD had it
ORD-FNT single class flight/didnt get service

Last Friday
FNT-ORD single class didn't get service
ORD-CLT did not have it
CLT-ATL did have it
ATL-CLT did have it
CLT-PHX did not have it
PHX-DEN did not have it
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS 75k
No more Woodford on regional flights

After not being able to get any Woodford Reserve on AA regional flights for a while, I emailed AA about it today and was told that because few passengers were ordering it, they decided to not cater it any longer in favor of something else (unspecified). So do Woodford drinkers only fly mainline AA or were you just not doing your part? I just hope it doesn't disappear from mainline flights as well.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by flymonthly
After not being able to get any Woodford Reserve on AA regional flights for a while, I emailed AA about it today and was told that because few passengers were ordering it, they decided to not cater it any longer in favor of something else (unspecified). So do Woodford drinkers only fly mainline AA or were you just not doing your part? I just hope it doesn't disappear from mainline flights as well.
I stopped asking for it on my regional segment since the response I received most often was "What is that, a type of wine? We dont have that..."
So on Regionals I settle for Jack
Old Oct 8, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Avis Prefered
I was told that woodford has not been added to regional flighrs yet, when I ask they normally pull out Dewars and ask if this is what I want.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Woodford Reserve: Why Does AA Bother?

Admittedly, from the files of first world problems...

As someone who flies DL regularly I have come look forward to enjoying a Woodford Reserve or two on an evening flight after a long day with clients and was tickled pink when AA decided to start offering Woodford on flights. After having Woodford on its planes for a couple of years now, AA continues to stock their RJs with just a couple of bottles of Woodford and, according to more than one FA, there are four bottles on Woodford catered on mainline flights in F and only a couple more in the back. More often than not, the plane is out of Woodford once PDBs are served and before we ever push back from the gate.

So here is my question (and first world problem), why does AA bother offering Woodford if they are not going to stock it in levels that reflect passenger demand for the product? Is this common for other premium beverages that I do not partake in? I'd almost rather they not tease me with this delicious nectar of the Gods only to have it viciously denied to me.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I had pretty good luck last year on all my regional flights with getting Woodford when I wanted one, I guess YMMV. But on short flights where I am getting upgraded as a GLD or PLT there usually is only time for on drink anyway in air.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I too have had pretty good luck with my flights when it comes to getting Woodford as well. Maybe it's me that hogging it all up; each service received has always been a double without even asking.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:54 am

No woodford problems here. Eagle or Mainline.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Amb
Originally Posted by MathMusic
I had pretty good luck last year on all my regional flights with getting Woodford when I wanted one, I guess YMMV. But on short flights where I am getting upgraded as a GLD or PLT there usually is only time for on drink anyway in air.
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
No woodford problems here. Eagle or Mainline.
Really?? I've never seen Woodford on an Eagle flight so have just stopped asking for it. I wonder if it is a difference in operator? Mine are generally operated by Compass out of LAX.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by LAXmatt
Really?? I've never seen Woodford on an Eagle flight so have just stopped asking for it. I wonder if it is a difference in operator? Mine are generally operated by Compass out of LAX.
No Woodford problems domestically recently either - Eagle or Mainline. IME Eagle has had full stocks of Woodford for the past year or so. The flight where I most commonly run out of it is DFW-HKG, but to be fair I think they would need to bring a full barrel on board to satisfy everyone for that flight.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
In 2017, I could regularly get Woodford on the Eagle flights operated by Compass. Never on Skywest.

This year, I've gotten nothing but shrugs and Dewars over ice.....
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
More often than not, the plane is out of Woodford once PDBs are served and before we ever push back from the gate.

So here is my question (and first world problem), why does AA bother offering Woodford if they are not going to stock it in levels that reflect passenger demand for the product?
Can't say I've noticed this. My wife quite likes to have one later in the flight, or after dinner and I can't think of one time in maybe 50 FC flights that we've done together since Woodford came online that it's run out.

Of course some people will say you've done well to notice such a pattern of full PDBs! (Never had regular problems with that either!)
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:24 am

Eagle flights operated by atleast Mesa, if not also Compass. Not 100% sure on Compass, but Mesa for sure.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Amb
Originally Posted by asf-07
No Woodford problems domestically recently either - Eagle or Mainline. IME Eagle has had full stocks of Woodford for the past year or so. The flight where I most commonly run out of it is DFW-HKG, but to be fair I think they would need to bring a full barrel on board to satisfy everyone for that flight.
Thanks for the info. I guess I will go back to at least asking for it, just in case!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.