Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
787-8 batch 1

Main Cabin Extra
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Seat width: 17.1”
Recline: 4”
9" HD touch screen
Universal AC and USB-A sockets

Main Cabin
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3”
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

787-8 batch 2

Main Cabin Extra
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Recline: 4”
9" HD touch screen

Main Cabin
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3”
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Viasat high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Thales Avant in-flight entertainment system with Live TV
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by zznoname
Having said all that, AA's 787 coach, when full, is a jam packed horrible plane ride, and a sad waste of a spectacular plane.
+1. It is truly one of the worst, most uncomfortable, travel experiences in commercial aviation today.

I recently had the chance to fly MCE 788 on the outbound and regular, plain ole' coach on a "vintage" 777-200 on the return. 11 hrs each way.

Honestly I felt much more comfortable on the "aging" non-MCE 777 than on the brand-new ultra-fancy 788 MCE.

The bean-counters have won - but I will not be seeking out any 787 flights any time soon.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:58 am

As an aside, I do not buy the "17-18 inches" claim for seat width in coach. Every other carrier that offers this 3-3-3 arrangement in coach on a 787 reports either 17.2" or 17.3". Nowhere near 18". AA didn't magically expand the fuselage so I'm quite sure it's the same 17.2-17.3" for AA.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:39 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
(sorry for the long and somewhat disorganized rant)

I had 19A (window) and 19J (aisle) in my last two flights. Like what everyone here have said, the seat is pretty narrow, much more so than 772's. At the window seat, the fuselage juts out and really impeded on my space. I am not a big guy but the seat was really uncomfortable. The fuselage also takes up my leg space, such that I had to move my feet slightly to the right if I wanted to stretch them out. The wall-mounted magazine rack was also somewhat in the way. I ended up spending a significant amount of time standing and stretching in the space in front of row 19. The area where my left foot was at (if not stretched out) had some stuff underneath the carpet (maybe cables?) that made me think that I dropped something and was stepping on it, and made me look a few times.

19C didn't have the fuselage problem, but since it was the aisle seat outside the bathroom area lots of people were walking in front of me. I wonder if the middle seats (19B and K) might actually be the best seats on row 19.

In one of the flights that I was on the air was very dry, much worse than previous flights on other 787's. I have taken 787 on AA, JL, and NH but I don't think I have ever really felt significantly more humid in any of my flights on 787's, compared to other planes. But this flight was particularly dry.

The in-flight wifi used T-mobile. It's somewhat slow (~100KB/s down) but does the job. However, the tightness of the seat made it pretty uncomfortable to use a laptop. Pricing scheme was also weird: $15 for 2 hours, $17 for 4 hours, $19 for the whole flight. I imagine it's just to make people pay for the whole flight.

I don't understand why AA/t-mobile needs separate a "validation" and "log in" when using their site.

The icon for entertainment on the IFE looks like a trash can. Live TV (NFL games) was nice.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Have a flight booked on this in Y (stil wait listed, crossing fingers, cabin only half full 2 days out) on Monday DFW-PEK. Lots of empty MCE right now, so grabbed 12C, with 13 ABC also all empty currently. hoping if upgrade to J doesn't clear maybe I will at least get a row to myself.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
So I just flew ORD-NRT on AA's 788 and then NRT-HAN on JL's 789. There was much to like about the 788 in MCE (good seat recline, nice AVOD and outlets everywhere, decent service, and I love how they can darken the entire plane after lunch). I felt noticeably more rested than after a normal longhaul in Y. That being said, 3-3-3 feels tight (I'm not a big guy, and I also had a tiny grandma next to me, and it still felt tight). This was especially noticeable compared to JL's 2-4-2 config on the 789, which I took on the next flight. Even in regular Y it felt much roomier.

Excited to try JAL's 77W to JFK on the way home.

The colleague I met up with in NRT had flown DFW-NRT on the unrefurbished AA 772 and had absolutely nothing positive to say about it--I suggested some FT research before booking her next trip
Old Dec 12, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by dcaiadflyer
So I just flew ORD-NRT on AA's 788 and then NRT-HAN on JL's 789. There was much to like about the 788 in MCE (good seat recline, nice AVOD and outlets everywhere, decent service, and I love how they can darken the entire plane after lunch). I felt noticeably more rested than after a normal longhaul in Y. That being said, 3-3-3 feels tight (I'm not a big guy, and I also had a tiny grandma next to me, and it still felt tight). This was especially noticeable compared to JL's 2-4-2 config on the 789, which I took on the next flight. Even in regular Y it felt much roomier.
I just flew GRU-LAX on the AA 788 in MCE, followed by LAX-KIX in JL 788 economy and totally concur with this assessment.
Thanks to an awesome crew, I had a whole row to myself on the AA flight, which may skew my perception somewhat, though The armrests on AA go up all the way, so I could stretch across all three seats and get some really decent sleep.
However, the seats ARE tight, and with a seatmate in the middle seat I would definitely prefer JLs economy over AAs MCE, although I`m tall and skinny.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:08 pm
E55

This is a good thread.

I'd go JAL Y if no specific probability of a systemwide upgrade on AA.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 19, 2016 at 6:34 am Reason: Removed manual signature
Old Dec 13, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
About the only downsides are: The food (even in Economy) is heavy on prawns so if you can't stand them, book a special meal, but avoid the vegetarian food which is miserable; and the cabin can be rather warm so bring plenty of water and dress lightly.
Emphasis mine. I'm a pretty warm traveler and generally never use a blanket. Some of the JAL flights I've taken haven't been too bad, but I've overheated on a few. If you're traveling to/from cold climates, just make sure you dress in layers. I take shorts along to change into now, even when going from cold climate to cold climate.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by galt727
If you are picking JAL they also off a paid upgrade to their PE at the airport even if you are booked on the AA flight numbers.

JAL website: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/130712.html
THANK YOU for bringing this to my attention!!!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Wondering if anyone with experience of row 8 MCE (bulkhead) versus row 9 MCE can chime in. From the looks of it row 8 has more legroom, but row 9 has a slightly wider seat as the tray table is not embedded in the arm rests?

Also does the fuselage impede on the window seats in any way or is that only for exit row 19?

Right now, I'm thinking row 8, window seat is probably my best bet for an overnight flight to try to get some sleep. Did you have to disturb seat mates when exiting for the lavatory or is there sufficient space in the bulkhead row to exit easily?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
LAA 788 / 787-8 Dreamliner Best / Reviews MCE & Y Class Seats

I searched for a thread about best seats in MCE or Y on a 787 but couldn't find it. (Hope I didn't miss it)

Have a flight coming up where its not looking like the SWU will clear. I see 8C open, couple aisles open in 10/11/12/13, and one aisle seat on 19C exit row. is the Exit row the best option? Anything like 31 on the 777-200?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mikelat
I searched for a thread about best seats in MCE or Y on a 787 but couldn't find it. (Hope I didn't miss it)

Have a flight coming up where its not looking like the SWU will clear. I see 8C open, couple aisles open in 10/11/12/13, and one aisle seat on 19C exit row. is the Exit row the best option? Anything like 31 on the 777-200?
Advanced search: search thread titles, results as threads, key word "787" (the "..." forces search on very common terms (e.g. "changes") and those containing fewer than four characters.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Best 787-8 Coach Seat

Hi all, saw a great thread on C seats on the 787 but nothing for Y. I don't think my SWU upgrade is going to clear and I'm dreading the LAX -> PVG flight. I have 19C but am curious about 8D. Is the bulkhead on the 787 like the old 737s or the new video equipped 737s? I generally like bulkheads and exit row so I can open my laptop and get work done. Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by 777Brian
Hi all, saw a great thread on C seats on the 787 but nothing for Y. I don't think my SWU upgrade is going to clear and I'm dreading the LAX -> PVG flight. I have 19C but am curious about 8D. Is the bulkhead on the 787 like the old 737s or the new video equipped 737s? I generally like bulkheads and exit row so I can open my laptop and get work done. Thanks.
The esteemed FWAAA has found the right thread, so I'll merge this query in.

~Moderator
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
IFE in Y bulkhead/exit rows stowed?

Anybody know if the IFE in Y bulkheads/exit rows is in the armrest and required to be stowed during takeoff and landings?

Thanks-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.