Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
787-8 batch 1

Main Cabin Extra
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Seat width: 17.1
Recline: 4
9" HD touch screen
Universal AC and USB-A sockets

Main Cabin
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

787-8 batch 2

Main Cabin Extra
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Recline: 4
9" HD touch screen

Main Cabin
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Viasat high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Thales Avant in-flight entertainment system with Live TV
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Old May 6, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
How much space is there in row 10? Is the wall/partition closer than the leg room if seated behind? Or is there genuinely enough room to stretch and for people to get up and walk past you if seated next to you without disturbing you?

Also where are the screens located on the front rows? On the wall? Or are they out the arm rests?

I spoke to BA customer service who told me that they consider the seats I reserved to be Premium Economy?? Which it doesn’t look it from the seating plans - although I understand MCE has more space.

Last edited by Spinstorm; May 6, 2019 at 3:08 pm
Old May 6, 2019, 3:10 pm

Scratch what I said previously Spinstorm, I misunderstood what you had written.

Last edited by SunkissedMommy; May 6, 2019 at 3:19 pm
Old May 6, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by SunkissedMommy
Bulkhead has the entertainment screens attached to an arm that slips in and out of the armrest from what I have seen and read so far.

I'll be in 6A and 6D bulkhead in less than a month, I'd be happy to report back on any details after my trip.
Having checked EF I can see there is Premium Economy - which is where your sitting so unsure why BA have MCE down as premium?

Also surely that means there is not a real wall in front of Economy - its just there to separate premium - so is there going to be much leg room?

Anyway have any idea what AA would charge for a cash upgrade from Economy to Premium or business? I know when I flew BA last year to JFK I upgraded to business for 500.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:25 pm

I deleted what I wrote previously. I misunderstood you at first. Strange that BA is calling it Premium Economy when thats a different seat type than MCE. After looking at the map you're definitely in MCE which does give you extra leg room, although I'm not sure of the actual measurement in row 10. I know it's been reported that it's not a full wall, but a partial wall in from of MCE/ behind PE.

I just called to upgrade my ticket for next month from PE to Business and they wanted $7k for two people round trip. Nope, not doin it!
Old May 6, 2019, 4:25 pm

I deleted what I wrote previously. I misunderstood you at first. Strange that BA is calling it Premium Economy when thats a different seat type than MCE. After looking at the map you're definitely in MCE which does give you extra leg room, although I'm not sure of the actual measurement in row 10. I know it's been reported that it's not a full wall, but a partial wall in from of MCE/ behind PE.

I just called to upgrade my ticket for next month from PE to Business and they wanted $7k for two people round trip. Nope, not doin it!
What I found is that upgrading on the check in desk on the day of the flight is the cheapest way to do it if there is availability, BA quoted me 2500 to upgrade to business on the phone, and 500 on the checkin desk...

I gathered that you are seated in PE and you thought I was still maybe you could peek at row 10 behind you when you do fly and let me know please.
SunkissedMommy likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Does anyone have any info on row 19 (outer) and 18 (middle) seats that are right in front of lavs? Do these have full recline or not?
Old May 20, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold

Just flew in Row 10 MCE on the 788. Legroom is not great as the bulkhead wall goes all the way to the bottom.
Spinstorm likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:52 am

Looks like the aisle seat would be better in that case as there is more room although you would be disturbed by people going past.

What about the row behind you. Do you think they had more leg room?
Old May 20, 2019, 2:43 pm

@MSP_Monopoly Are there in seat screens in that row? Doesn’t look like it. Looks like you have to watch what everyone else watches unless I am misunderstanding what I am seeing here.

Last edited by Spinstorm; May 21, 2019 at 1:21 pm
Old May 23, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Spinstorm
@MSP_Monopoly Are there in seat screens in that row? Doesnt look like it. Looks like you have to watch what everyone else watches unless I am misunderstanding what I am seeing here.
Screens fold up from below your seat. Same as like on exit row seats on planes with seatback entertainment.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Spinstorm
Looks like the aisle seat would be better in that case as there is more room although you would be disturbed by people going past.

What about the row behind you. Do you think they had more leg room?
The aisle seat is a bit better, left foot would hit the wall still, right foot no wall in front, if that makes sense. So you could angle your legs to the right to not touch the wall.

Row 11 behind us would naturally have more leg room because they could fully extend their legs under row 10 seats.

There really was not much foot traffic in the aisle because Premium Economy people have their own lavs in the front and they dont allow Economy pax to go up to Premium Economy to use those lavs.
SunkissedMommy likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:23 pm

Having flown this yesterday I think the best economy seats here are row 10 aisle seats (first seats after Premium but row number depends on if its an 8 or 9) - I was lucky that the middle seat was empty and I was able to stretch my legs out into the aisle or even rest them on the partition in front which I am sure made it more comfortable as being able to move your legs makes the journey better when its longer.

After that I would say the aisle in front of the next exit row is great (24 on the 787-9) - there was even more room there than in front of 10 - but I am not clear if those seats are narrower as they are not main cabin extra unlike row 10.

Tomorrow I will be in the row behind that row 13 on the 787-9 and in the window seat as the aisle seats were taken so I will have less legs space and won’t be able to lift my legs up or get up as easily - also sure there is some poor person in the middle seat.

Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA-LifetimePremierGold, PLT: Bonvoy, IHG, GLD: Enterprise, Budget
in-seat power in International Premium Economy - 787-8

Wanted to confirm if in-seat power is available in Int'l Prem Economy on a 787-8. Appreciate any info... TIA.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:50 pm

There is inseat power. BUT- its through the TV unit. It took most of my 9 hour flight to charge my cell phone, so not overly powerful!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:11 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
There is inseat power. BUT- it’s through the TV unit. It took most of my 9 hour flight to charge my cell phone, so not overly powerful!
You must have used the USB outlet.

All AA B787 Premium Economy seats have 110v outlets which are sufficiently powerful, at a maximum of 150 watts, to charge phones much faster. They are located in the storage bins between the seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.