Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
787-8 batch 1

Main Cabin Extra
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Seat width: 17.1
Recline: 4
9" HD touch screen
Universal AC and USB-A sockets

Main Cabin
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

787-8 batch 2

Main Cabin Extra
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Recline: 4
9" HD touch screen

Main Cabin
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Viasat high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Thales Avant in-flight entertainment system with Live TV
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:55 am

AA 787-8 Seating

Would you take MCE, row 8-E, H, or row 19-B, C?

I'm thinking, compared to row 8-A, B, C, J, K, L, row 8 middle section, has the bulkhead closer in for reduced legroom, the seat width would be the same (TV in the armrest), so we'd be better off with the "unlimited" foot space in row 19-B, C.

Also, if row 8, seat B, C, J, K passengers get UG to J, our firsts choice would be one of those seats (but, still... the width issue with the TV in armrests).

Does anyone have any photos?

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Oct 17, 2015 at 10:10 am
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by zznoname
Would you take MCE, row 8-E, H, or row 19-B, C?

I'm thinking, compared to row 8-A, B, C, J, K, L, row 8 middle section, has the bulkhead closer in for reduced legroom, the seat width would be the same (TV in the armrest), so we'd be better off with the "unlimited" foot space in row 19-B, C.

Also, if row 8, seat B, C, J, K passengers get UG to J, our firsts choice would be one of those seats (but, still... the width issue with the TV in armrests).

Does anyone have any photos?

Thanks.
Your answer is here. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by arollins
Thanks. Maybe, after the flight, I can add specific seat information to the Wiki.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:39 am

FWIW - I flew the 788 LHR- DFW at the end of Sept in MCE. I'm close to 6'2". I was in 10A I think, 1 row back from the front of MCE. Legroom was ok. Recline was soso. The width was incredibly tight. I ended up bumping shoulders with the guy in the middle seat the entire trip.

Photo for reference:

Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am

Good stuff. Thanks all.

With a roll-on placed in front of my seat, if I can stretch my legs out on top, I'm a very happy camper.

From what I'm learning, row 8, with the bulkhead, will be a bit tight, and row 19, except for the lavatories, would be the choice for unlimited foot space.

Problem is the lavs close to row 19.

Thanks for your help.

-------------------

Edited

It's not so much the lavatories that are bothersome in row 19, it's the galley. Mucho traffic (the snack bar), and the light's on all night.

Last edited by zznoname; Nov 21, 2015 at 12:40 pm
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:51 am

FWIW - I flew LAX - LHR on a year old 777-300ER in MCE. We were in 18AB. The lav wasn't really bothersome, though it was an overnight flight so most folks were sleeping, or trying to sleep.

On the 788, I'd take a seat in 8. MUCH more legroom and easier for the person in A or L to get up without overly disturbing the rest of the row.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:44 pm

Best non-MCE seat on 788 for non-elite?

I'm in the unenviable situation of contemplating a long international flight on a 788 in economy with no status. What do you guys think is the best non-MCE, non-elite seat on the 788?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ksguenov
I'm in the unenviable situation of contemplating a long international flight on a 788 in economy with no status. What do you guys think is the best non-MCE, non-elite seat on the 788?
Please read the existing thread, where we have merged your query.

This avoids information fragmentation in a large, busy forum such as this one, and honors those who have contributed previously.

Thank you,

/Moderator
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
AA 788 (in MCE) or JAL 77W, ORD-NRT

I probably don't even need to ask this, but would anyone recommend AA's 788 in MCE over JAL's 77W in regular economy? JAL seems to have a (very generous for economy) 34" pitch (v. 36 in AA's MCE), and I imagine the service is loads better. This is part of a longer trip to HAN, so I'll get to ride JAL's 789 NRT-HAN in any case (haven't been on a 787 yet).

As a side note, this trip will be the first time I've ever made Platinum (I have to buy the AA codeshare regardless of which flight I take), and I'm very excited!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am flying both these products later this month - JFK-NRT on JAL 77W and NRT-ORD on Dreamliner. I'm not looking forward to the AA flight - even though I have MCE 8C seat. I've had 3 colleagues who flew NRT-JFK last month on JAL in Y and all preferred it over AA and CX Y
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I've flown MCE on the AA 788 and it still feels pretty crammed...I would definitely recommend JAL's config in reg Y over AA MCE. JAL has 8 abreast on the 77W and 19 wide seats vs 17ish on AA's 787...much better situation on JALI think, even with 2 inches less legroom (34 is still fantastic for Y).
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm debating this exact problem too... I have yet to hear much good about the 787 MCE
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:02 pm

Just spent 11.5 hours in what should have been one of the most comfortable seats in Y (12J, MCE, aisle) and honestly it was one of least-pleasant long-haul experiences I've ever had:

- Extremely narrow seats. Yes, more narrow than a WN 737-300. This means that even in an aisle, the guy in the middle is constantly pushing you, poking you, all night long. It's not his fault, it's just that the seats are too damn narrow.

- Narrow aisles. This is amplified by the fact that everyone in an aisle is leaning waaay into the aisle to avoid getting poked, pushed, rubbed constantly.

- Good leg room in MCE. But, see above.

- Freaky blue/green hazy glow through the windows all morning. The electrochromatic windows don't block anywhere near all of the light but what they let in is a very hazy, weird glow (blue on one side, green on the other). When you're in this weird haze for many hours it really becomes very unpleasant. I was so happy when they turned off the "shades" when we finally landed and actually got natural sunlight.

- Yes, cell phone signals are pretty much non-existent. Blocked by either the electronics or the electrochromatic windows, or who knows.

- It is quieter, but given all the negatives above, who cares?

- I didn't particularly notice the higher humidity levels but I did notice the lower cabin altitude. It kept me awake much longer.

Avoid.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by shgroamer
I've flown MCE on the AA 788 and it still feels pretty crammed...I would definitely recommend JAL's config in reg Y over AA MCE. JAL has 8 abreast on the 77W and 19 wide seats vs 17ish on AA's 787...much better situation on JALI think, even with 2 inches less legroom (34 is still fantastic for Y).
JL has 9 abreast on the 77W, not 8. But you are right about JL's seats being wider. 9 abreast on a 77W is much better than 9 abreast on a 787. I would choose JL regular Y over AA MCE.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
JL has 9 abreast on the 77W, not 8. But you are right about JL's seats being wider. 9 abreast on a 77W is much better than 9 abreast on a 787. I would choose JL regular Y over AA MCE.
good catch, my fault, I was looking at Prem Econ.. still, 19 inch width in Y is nearly unheard of these days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.