Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
787-8 batch 1

Main Cabin Extra
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Seat width: 17.1”
Recline: 4”
9" HD touch screen
Universal AC and USB-A sockets

Main Cabin
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3”
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

787-8 batch 2

Main Cabin Extra
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Recline: 4”
9" HD touch screen

Main Cabin
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3”
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Viasat high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Thales Avant in-flight entertainment system with Live TV
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Lavezzi
Ultimately I think Row 19 B/C/J/K are the best MCE seats on the plane (for those who don't mind being close to the restrooms) due to the unlimited legroom provided.
Interesting. I'm flying DFW-PEK in Nov on the 787. Right now on the outbound I have 8A (since I booked 8B-C have filled, and 8J-K-L are also full).
On the return I have 19C.

So you think I should switch to 19C or 19J for that outbound? 19A is currently taken, so I'd probably go for 19J, just in case.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Lavezzi
Just wanted to give feedback on my 787-8 flights this weekend. On the first leg I took seat 8G which I found to have very restricted legroom due to the position of the bulkhead. The armrests were fixed which ended up being pretty annoying as no-one occupied the middle seat and they were pretty tight.

On the way back I was placed into 12C which had much more legroom and an adjustable armrest. Ultimately I think Row 19 B/C/J/K are the best MCE seats on the plane (for those who don't mind being close to the restrooms) due to the unlimited legroom provided.
Quick question. What did you notice for the middle three row 20 bulkead? Tighter space than say row 9 or 10? Rows 8 and 19 are taken so am wondering about 20. Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
I just had two overnight flights in Y SCL-DFW and back Aug 10 and 15, and I can say that I have now re-routed and will purchase all remaining travel to the US via MIA on the 772 given the possibility of SWUs not clearing again. Leg room doesn't matter to me when every seat is full and you can't move to eat (or really do anything) without jostling your neighbor. I spent most of the two flights standing in the mid-galley.

I was in 9H up and 8H down. Both sucked equally, IMHO.

I've flown the route many times in J and have been pleased, but with SWUs not clearing (and dwindling), I'll move to a route where the Y seats aren't *quite* so awful.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by zpaul
I just had two overnight flights in Y SCL-DFW and back Aug 10 and 15, and I can say that I have now re-routed and will purchase all remaining travel to the US via MIA on the 772 given the possibility of SWUs not clearing again. Leg room doesn't matter to me when every seat is full and you can't move to eat (or really do anything) without jostling your neighbor. I spent most of the two flights standing in the mid-galley.

I was in 9H up and 8H down. Both sucked equally, IMHO.

I've flown the route many times in J and have been pleased, but with SWUs not clearing (and dwindling), I'll move to a route where the Y seats aren't *quite* so awful.
What did you find to be so awful? I did 788 in coach DFW-PVG last December in MCE, and granted, it's not as comfy as the front cabin on such a long-haul, but I was reasonably comfortable, passed the time reading, watching movies and napping, and wasn't much worse for the wear by the time we landed.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by akcae
What did you find to be so awful? I did 788 in coach DFW-PVG last December in MCE, and granted, it's not as comfy as the front cabin on such a long-haul, but I was reasonably comfortable, passed the time reading, watching movies and napping, and wasn't much worse for the wear by the time we landed.
With the middle seat occupied on both flights, I had trouble eating and, in 9H, when the person in front of me reclined, I couldn't see the IFE screen very well since it, too, angled down. None of us in the row were overweight or overly muscled, but having three adults sitting back at the same time was almost impossible for shoulders and arms. There were times when I was sitting with my left arm very awkwardly crossing my body so that I wasn't using both armrests at the same time; any rearrangement of our sitting position meant bumping the person next to us or at least shaking the entire row.

The seats are too narrow, even though my butt fits just fine between the armrests - it's the wider upper body that pays the price now that AA is filling every seat. I was not comfortable by any stretch at any time.

And no, there were no unoccupied seats except for some middle seats toward the rear, so moving wasn't an option.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:00 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Seat divider - Business seats

Hi,

Recently I flew on this aircraft between DFW-SCL. On my way back, I had both the middle two seats as I was travelling with someone else.
The seat divider was up and when I could not figure out how to lower it and asked the FA, I was told that on some of the aircraft, every odd (or even) rows, the divider cannot be removed or lowered (for seats facing backwards)

I find this hard to believe that this is the case, because on my way out I sat also in the middle seat, but facing forward, and the divided somehow appeared after I woke up (for the outbound, I had a window and middle seat).

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but just curious what's the story behind.

Cheers!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: Oneworld (BAEC Silver)
MCE had great legroom (9D) but terrible shoulder room. The guy in the middle seat's elbow was jutting into my side the whole flight, but I couldn't blame him because there was practically nowhere else for his arms to go. I would avoid taking this plane in the future.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
My wife and I have an upcoming 788 daytime flight LHR-ORD in MCE. I'm BA Gold and so can select a seat for free, and even though she's not on the same PNR, I'm hoping to phone in and get her sat with me; at worst, she's got ruby status, so can select a seat for about $60. On the way back she has a daytime flight on her own, so it's either paying $60, or picking a free seat.

We're both 6' tall, and neither of us likes bulkheads. I think this means that the sensible options are sitting together in row 19, or in a standard MCE row. Am I right to think that the main disadvantage of the middle/aisle in row 19 is people waiting to use the restrooms, or is there any other disadvantage (I'm guessing that we won't be able to raise the arm rest between us - would we be able to in a normal MCE row?)?

It seems like window seats in row 19 are free to select, but it sounds like they have a lot less legroom - if we had middle and window, would that work OK with one of us angling our legs, or is that going to be pretty uncomfortable? Similarly, I'm guessing that for my wife's flight on her own, it's worth paying for the aisle over taking the window for free?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:43 pm

The one requirement that pales all others when flying long distances coach, is to keep your feet raised.

Also, compression socks are essential, because skinny ankles are good.

With that in mind, having space in front of your seat, so you can position your carry-on to use as a "lounge chair" leg rest is more important than anything else.

So the choice is simple, forget about restrooms, galleys or anything else, and take row 19 if you don't like the bulkhead.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:31 pm

It seems like seats 19A/L are controversial. Some people like it, some people loathe it. What do you guys think? I have no status, and 19A is available, so I'm wondering if I should take it. I'm 6' tall and about 155 lb.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by petey2428
It seems like seats 19A/L are controversial. Some people like it, some people loathe it. What do you guys think? I have no status, and 19A is available, so I'm wondering if I should take it. I'm 6' tall and about 155 lb.
Take it.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by zznoname
Take it.
You think it's better than a regular aisle seat?

Also, is there storage infront?

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by petey2428
You think it's better than a regular aisle seat?

Also, is there storage infront?

Thanks!
No storage, but room for your roll-on.

Yes. Much better.

Here's a photo of the row. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
https://www.travelcodex.com/2015/05/...economy-class/

I update the Wiki and my post.

Last edited by zznoname; Apr 5, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I may have to fly this disaster in MCE overnight to Europe. I was at least lucky to get 8A. From the pics it looks like you can put your carry on bag on the floor in front of you to put your feet on, but would the FAs let you do that for the duration of the flight? (obviously only when at cruising altitude). Also, how comfortable is leaning against the window to sleep, any big gaps or protruding windows for 8A? It seems that you can get relatively easily out to use the restroom, right?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:40 am

I've never had a problem with FA's and putting the carrryon on the floor, even in row 19 (row 19, move against your seat sideways during service).

My caryon size fits with some room to spare

http://www.luggagedirect.com.au/bran...riot-blue.html

Row 8a window is right up against the seat. Sort of like a wall with a window. Some people like a bit of a gap for a more comfortable lean.

There is some space to crawl out, but your seatmates will most likely have to assist.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.