Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
787-8 batch 1

Main Cabin Extra
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Seat width: 17.1
Recline: 4
9" HD touch screen
Universal AC and USB-A sockets

Main Cabin
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

787-8 batch 2

Main Cabin Extra
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Recline: 4
9" HD touch screen

Main Cabin
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Viasat high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Thales Avant in-flight entertainment system with Live TV
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by zznoname
I've never had a problem with FA's and putting the carrryon on the floor, even in row 19 (row 19, move against your seat sideways during service).

My caryon size fits with some room to spare

http://www.luggagedirect.com.au/bran...riot-blue.html

Row 8a window is right up against the seat. Sort of like a wall with a window. Some people like a bit of a gap for a more comfortable lean.

There is some space to crawl out, but your seatmates will most likely have to assist.
Sounds good, my carry on is even smaller. Let's hope for a small seatmate, lol.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:03 am

When I wrote, “AA's 787, with 9 across coach seating, is a horrible experience, bordering on inhumane. A sardine can plain and simple. “ I was not joking.

Look at Rocky Horan's photos, taken from his report.

The coach seat are so narrow, you “bleed” into the adjacent seat. The seats themselves are very small, and the back seat height is low. So low, a 5' 9” person, sitting up straight, will have their neck above the headrest.

Granted, the photos are not conclusive, many do not sit upright, and I'm certainly highlighting the tallest people in the cabin. But, I tested it out myself, and if a 5' 9” person sits upright, the headrests are too low. Your head will hang back over the top of the seat.

Rocky writes, "Economy class seats are small..." and his photo is proof.

Last edited by zznoname; Sep 19, 2017 at 11:52 am
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Row 20 DEH Bulkhead?

So I've gone through the 9 pages and several people have asked questions about is row 20 DEH bulkhead a good option, but no one has replied.

We are currently in row 11KL, but the flight looks like it is going to be full for 13+ hours.

Is Row 20 E,H a good option as row 8 is full/blocked currently.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by zabes64
... is row 20 DEH bulkhead a good option.
Good question. Thanks. I missed that option, and only have a vague memory of the seating. But, I would grab those seat quickly over any non-bulkhead seat, even MCE.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA
I am currently booked in 8A which looks to have good leg room and two windows (based on photos). How does that compare to 19A or L? It looks like the exit row has much more leg room to work with but I'm thinking it won't have a window. Is that true?
Old May 5, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
For LHR-ORD, I am surprised 19A is a free seat while 19B is 138$...

Is the protrusion of the fuselage that bad to make 19A free ?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Where to sit on 788 in Y or Y+/MCE

Hi, I usually fly NZ but am using up some AA points to fly LAX-AKL on AA83 in a couple weeks. Any advice on where to sit in economy? I'm not sure what it will cost me on an Economy AAnytime fare to get Y+/MCE but would probably do it as I'm over 6'.

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by samuelmehr
Hi, I usually fly NZ but am using up some AA points to fly LAX-AKL on AA83 in a couple weeks. Any advice on where to sit in economy? I'm not sure what it will cost me on an Economy AAnytime fare to get Y+/MCE but would probably do it as I'm over 6'.

Thanks!
Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page, see the seat chart in the first post, and other members' offerings. We have merged your post into the existing thread.

/Moderator
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:36 am

Regarding seats 29A/L and 30 A/L, since there is a reasonable space between the seat and the window, is it possible to exit through this space and move to the back and access the aisle by passing behind row 30 as an alternate to bothering the person seated in the aisle seat?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Daytime flight from Chicago O'Hare to London Heathrow with American Airlines Boeing 787-8 in MCE:

Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I can't figure out the IFE works on the bulkheads. Any photos? How high does it come up? I like that with a regular seat-back, I don't have to crane my neck too far.

Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:59 am

Not sure I'll get an answer quickly enough for it to matter, but on my flight ORD-LHR, 8A-H are shown as MCE, but 8J-L are shown as preferred (with standard legroom, favorable location). Is there a difference in those 3 seats vs the rest of the row?

I'm not sure if that's a change because up until a week or so ago, those 3 seats were not available to choose. Now that I'm checking in, they're all available and not MCE.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:58 pm

Y on the AA 788 from ORD to PVG was about the most uncomfortable long-haul thing ever.

Biggest complaints, to echo others:
-Seat pan too high; I'm 5' 7" and there was too much pressure on the back of my legs for me to stay still for more than 5-10 minutes. On the other hand there was no way I was getting a DVT on that flight.
-Seat back too short. Again, I'm 5' 7"...and a fully extended head rest still wasn't tall enough.
-IFE was fine, one of the most responsive I had used, until the person in front of me reclined. Who decided that non-articulating screens should ever exist?? So then I reclined. But the seat backs are short right? Yeah.
-Not enough bathrooms (okay so this isn't related to the seat).

Plus side was the lack of an IFE box.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by btgm
Not sure I'll get an answer quickly enough for it to matter, but on my flight ORD-LHR, 8A-H are shown as MCE, but 8J-L are shown as preferred (with standard legroom, favorable location). Is there a difference in those 3 seats vs the rest of the row?

I'm not sure if that's a change because up until a week or so ago, those 3 seats were not available to choose. Now that I'm checking in, they're all available and not MCE.
I also have the same question: from reading online forums and seatguru seat maps, there doesn't seem to be a legroom difference between 8A-L, but 8J-L are shown as "preferred seats" instead of "MCE" seats on AA's seat map. Curious if anyone that have been on the aircraft can tell whether 8J-L actually have reduced/regular legrooms, or is this just a labeling error on AA's website?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:01 am

Myself and my wife are due to fly on AA 787-8 LHR to ORD at end of April.I have looked at the seat guru map and was wondering if anyone has had any experience in seat 29 A, C or 29 J, L. We are connecting to SFO, we both have global entry and not conceded about getting to immigration first. Are these seat worth occupying.

We are both will get BA Silver( OW Sapphire) by begging of March. If i book the flight now as Bronze when we become BA silver would we be able to pick the MCE seats for free due to status ?

Does AA use T mobile fo there wifi or GoGo is it worth buying . I heard GoGo new ku2 is suppose to allow streaming is this the case .

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.