Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
787-8 batch 1

Main Cabin Extra
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Seat width: 17.1
Recline: 4
9" HD touch screen
Universal AC and USB-A sockets

Main Cabin
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

787-8 batch 2

Main Cabin Extra
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Recline: 4
9" HD touch screen

Main Cabin
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Viasat high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Thales Avant in-flight entertainment system with Live TV
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:13 pm

Interesting, indeed. I'll go for the $41 & no cost seats in one of those rows then. I sort of figured they'd be the same but with AA's strange listings/wording it's hard to discern. Thanks again for your input!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:30 am

I phoned AA and spoke with a reservation agent in order to find out if seats in the same row do in fact have different amounts of legroom. Unfortunately, he did no prove very helpful. He simply read off what is already on AA's Website. So, one can pay the $62-65 for the middle rows and be assured of more legroom or take the gamble on the the left or the right sides priced at $41 or free in hopes that the same amount of legroom exists across an entire row. One would think this would not be so mysterious....
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:47 am

Just booked a flight for next spring 788-8 VCE-ORD. The seat map shows Main Cabin Extra beginning at row 6 through row 9. MCE cabin seat map shows 2-3-2 seating here. After row 10 seating is 3-3-3 with several rows of MCE from row 10-18. Not sure what's going on. Is the mini-cabin possibly Premium Economy that is mislabeled? If I do buy a seat which is currently labeled as MCE in the 2-3-2 row section will I possibly get reseated in a 3-3-3 section?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Just booked a flight for next spring 788-8 VCE-ORD. The seat map shows Main Cabin Extra beginning at row 6 through row 9. MCE cabin seat map shows 2-3-2 seating here. After row 10 seating is 3-3-3 with several rows of MCE from row 10-18. Not sure what's going on. Is the mini-cabin possibly Premium Economy that is mislabeled? If I do buy a seat which is currently labeled as MCE in the 2-3-2 row section will I possibly get reseated in a 3-3-3 section?
Yep, the 788's are getting reconfigured with Premium Economy. AA isn't selling PE yet on 788 routes (that I'm aware of), so in the interim they sell the PE section on converted aircraft as MCE. This is standard protocol when AA updates the fleet like this, and can be a great little perk if you can take advantage of it.

When is your flight? The chances of getting booted back to "real" MCE depend on AA's reconfiguration schedule. Take a look at the 788 reconfiguration thread to get an idea of how many planes have been converted and what routes AA sells PE on in the process. I'd for sure grab a seat in the 2-3-2 section now, then just keep a close eye on your reservation.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:46 am

Thanks for your reply. So if the plane is not yet converted by the end of April - the seat I will be assigned will still be a 2-3-2- row 6? If the conversion happens before then I will be reassigned a seat in MCE? Are there still 787-8 that have the mini cabin with MCE in the 2-3-2 configuration flying? Would it be safer to pick a seat in row 8 or 9 in terms of possible reassignment?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
At one airframe every three weeks as of September 2018, it will take nearly through the end of 2019 (the first, N800AA, is likely to go through a shakedown period before the rest of the fleet transitions through Paine Field, I suspect) to finish the refit. There will be seat disruptions, but once we know the configuration of seats and rows it will pay to book those numbered seats unaffected by the change.

The mini-cabin: It’s logical the forward cabin of 20 Zodiac seats will remain intact, the mini-cabin in 2-3-2 like the 789 (likely renumbered from here on back) will become Premium Economy.

(The Wikipost at the top of the page contains some information relating to the refit.)
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I’m sitting in 8E on a 788 right now despairing soon ord-dfw. I thought this would have the new PE seats but nope just regular MCE.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by enviroian
Im sitting in 8E on a 788 right now despairing soon ord-dfw. I thought this would have the new PE seats but nope just regular MCE.
The only possibility today would be if N800AA had re-entered service and you were on it. The other 19 are still W-less.
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:55 pm

Questions based on the '788 w/PE' seat map image below:

(a) Why are row 12-18 MCE in the middle but not MCE on the sides? How can there be more leg room in the middle section if the number of rows is the same?

(b) Are 20BC or 20JK (exit row) good legroom seats? (I do see that they are next to the lavs.) (Yes, that's us currently in 20JK in the image below.)

(c) Are 20A/20L actual seats?...They seem to be always blocked (NOT occupied, blocked) on every 788 seat map I've ever seen. 10JKL are also always blocked, but not 10ABC.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Oct 28, 2018 at 7:27 pm
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yep, the 788's are getting reconfigured with Premium Economy. AA isn't selling PE yet on 788 routes (that I'm aware of), so in the interim they sell the PE section on converted aircraft as MCE. This is standard protocol when AA updates the fleet like this, and can be a great little perk if you can take advantage of it.

When is your flight? The chances of getting booted back to "real" MCE depend on AA's reconfiguration schedule. Take a look at the 788 reconfiguration thread to get an idea of how many planes have been converted and what routes AA sells PE on in the process. I'd for sure grab a seat in the 2-3-2 section now, then just keep a close eye on your reservation.
I could be, completely, misinterpreting what you're saying. As I'm fairly new to all this. So I will apologize now if I'm getting this wrong.

We're flying FLL-ORD-FCO and reverse 12 days later in June of 2019. We purchased PE seats, listed as PE during booking back in July 2018. So they are selling PE on 788 routes already. At least for ORD-FCO and FCO-ORD for this coming June. We took bulkhead PE seats in the mini-cabin.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by SunkissedMommy
I could be, completely, misinterpreting what you're saying. As I'm fairly new to all this. So I will apologize now if I'm getting this wrong.

We're flying FLL-ORD-FCO and reverse 12 days later in June of 2019. We purchased PE seats, listed as PE during booking back in July 2018. So they are selling PE on 788 routes already. At least for ORD-FCO and FCO-ORD for this coming June. We took bulkhead PE seats in the mini-cabin.
The post you were replying to is from a couple of months ago, and was true at the time. Things have changed.

However, they haven't changed long enough such that there are FT'ers who have been on the reconfigured 788/789 and reported back. I would love to find out whether there are actually window seats in the exit row (20A/20L on the 788), and if so, why those seats are showing as blocked on every flight.

The old exits rows are shown in the photo (PC Rocky Horan's report, see wiki for link). My guess is that they have 'densified' by moving these rows forward, such that the exit row window seats are not viable behind the door bulge. But I won't be on a reconfigured plane until June.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Nov 19, 2018 at 6:26 pm
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
Originally Posted by SunkissedMommy

I did a dummy booking for ORD-FCO in June and got the following:
Main Cabin $1,400
Premium Economy $2,800
Business Class $4,425

If it actually ended up being one of the aircraft that had not been converted would they be more likely to refund the $2,400 difference or bump someone up to Business?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:15 am

In my case theyd probably bump me back to Economy. We paid $1300 per person for the entire flight from FLL-ORD-FCO and the reverse home. So the prices for Economy are already higher than the deal I scored for PE.

clearly I booked at the right time, price wise!!
Old May 5, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Best Seat in Economy on 787?

I have used my BA Avios to book economy return LHR to Chicago in a couple of weeks.

As a Gold BAEC member right now I have chosen 10C out and 13L coming back. It is a 787-8 going and a 9 coming back.

What are the best seats in Economy on an AA 787?

(also side question I asked in the BA forum - can I upgrade my seat to premium/business with cash in the airport if there is availability?)
Old May 5, 2019, 9:16 pm

I was a row back in 11C on an AA 788 last month from ORD to LHR. Wasn't bad at all IMO. I'm average height so there was plenty of legroom in MCE. While I normally like window seats having the aisle seat on an 8 hour flight was nice so I could get up and stretch as needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.