Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: AA HKG / Hong Kong Int’l. Airport Connections, MCT, Arrival & Departure, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to HKG Airport information on aa.com, including ticket / check-in counter hours.

Link to HKG Airport information

MCT is 1:00 for through same ticket connections where your baggage has been checked through.

NOTE that connecting with separate tickets may require you to process immigration, collect baggage and process customs, then checking in with your departure airline and processing security. One hour will not suffice.

Check-in: Ticket counter Terminal 1 (This location does not accept cash)
  • Flight 126 - Daily: 12:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
  • Flight 192 - Daily: 4:40 p.m. - 6:40 p.m

At HKG, Terminal 1 one can also check in earlier at the “Self check-in” purple highlighted kiosks available at Terminal 1; select the AA display. You should also be able to update your airline FFP and number at this time.

Passengers carrying only hand luggage can then proceed directly to immigration, while those with check-in luggage may drop their bag(s) at the Bag Drop Counter located just steps away from the kiosks.

"Special notice

If you are taking the Airport Express, you can enjoy the convenient free in-town check-in (Airport Express Station) service in Hong Kong and Kowloon Stations to check in between 90 minutes and within the same day of the departure date." (aa.com - current 25 Jan 2018)
Print Wikipost

Guide: AA HKG / Hong Kong Int’l. Airport Connections, MCT, Arrival & Departure, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by Agustinl71
What is the benefit of E-Channel if you don't mind answering my question. Would it be of benefit for someone like me that will be transiting through HK 2 or 3 times a year for the next 4 or 5 years, I am a US Passport holder if it matters.
No need to wait in line to see a customs guy, and don't have to fill out the paper form. Just scan the bar code sticker they apply to your passport, finger prints and then done. Super quick and efficient. If transiting only, not needed as transit is airside.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by prw555
No need to wait in line to see a customs guy, and don't have to fill out the paper form. Just scan the bar code sticker they apply to your passport, finger prints and then done. Super quick and efficient. If transiting only, not needed as transit is airside.

Thank you, I will see if I am given E-Channel when I am in HK. I do have some long layovers sometimes and it sure would be nice to skip customs in leaving the airport for a short stint in HK.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by Agustinl71
Thank you, I will see if I am given E-Channel when I am in HK. I do have some long layovers sometimes and it sure would be nice to skip customs in leaving the airport for a short stint in HK.
Be careful finding the registration place. It is before the doors that exit to baggage claim, but after the immigration guys. There is one on the right and left side. Before going through immigration, take a look to see which one is open.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by prw555
Be careful finding the registration place. It is before the doors that exit to baggage claim, but after the immigration guys. There is one on the right and left side. Before going through immigration, take a look to see which one is open.
I was there last week and they weren't open early morning, they opened up at 9 or 10.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:33 pm

I haven't made it back to HK but I will be there next month, I did a little investigating and found a list of the frequent flyer programs that grant you E-Channel eligibility if you don't meet eligibility through the other requirements. In my case I have United Mileage Plus Gold level so I qualify, but I don't have a frequent flyer membership card, have any of you simply shown the status of membership level as shown on the airline app on your phone? Just wondering if I could by with that alone.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AA ex-HKG: Check-in at Hong Kong Airport Express Stations?

Hey everybody,

I am kind of new to posting and I think I deleted my previouspost/thread.

I have been reading this Forum for quite a while now but never had the opportunity to actually post something.

I am currently booked on AA138 on November 15th, which is scheduled to depart HKG at 3:45pm (HKG time). I will be getting to HKG on the 14th of November at around 3:00pm on an incoming flight from BKK with a non-OW carrier.

My actual question would be the following: Would I be able to check-in (get boarding passes and check one piece of luggage) on the 14th right after I get from BKK at one of the AA check-in counters assuming they would still be open for AA138 and AA192 to LAX which is set to depart at 7:30pm even though my flight does not leave until the following day?

If the option mentioned above is not possible and I end up taking the Aiport Express to the city how soon/early would I be able to Check-in at the Airport Express Central Station where they have check-in counters available so you do not need to actually go to the Airport? AA´s website mentions the following “If you are taking the Airport Express, you can enjoy the convenient free in-town check-in (Airport Express Station) service in Hong Kong and Kowloon Stations to check in between 90 minutes and within the same day of the departure date”. So if I am reading this correctly I can show up at any time on the same day of my flight at the Airport Express Station and I would be able to check-in drop my bag and get my Boarding Pass? Is that information accurate? Has anyone tried this before/ had experience using the Check-in facilities at the Central Station when flying on AA?

I plan on hanging out at The Pier First Class lounge as much time as possible before my flight thanks to my EXP Status so that’s why I ask.

Thanks everybody in advance for taking the time reading thisand helping if possible and I apologize for any English mistakes typos since it’snot my first language.

Cheers!

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 4, 2016 at 8:13 am Reason: Corrected incredibly wonky formatting
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Your original posts were suppressed by FlyerTalk's spam controls and sent to a moderation queue for review and approval. Your original post here was approved.

Editing your post sent it back to the moderation queue. Other technical issues due to multiple suppressed posts led to having to use software controls available by moderators to restore the posts.

We apologize for any inconvenience; the spam controls used here are quite effective at preventing spam, but of course they are neither 100% effective not free of unintended effects on some new posts from new members.

/Moderator.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@e.araujo

Welcome to FT!

I read your quote from the AA site and the information is quite limited:
"Special notice
If you are taking the Airport Express, you can enjoy the convenient free in-town check-in (Airport Express Station) service in Hong Kong and Kowloon Stations to check in between 90 minutes and within the same day of the departure date."

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...kg-airport.jsp

The hours for the counter at HKG are the typical 3 hour window prior to departure:
Ticket counter
Terminal 1
Daily: 10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.

I just passed through the Kowloon Station recently and looked at the flat-screens with the airline list and times, but don't recall AA, so I checked the Hong Kong MTR website page.

IN-TOWN CHECK-IN COUNTERS INFORMATION

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/se...ckin_info.html

Unfortunately, for AA it says: "Please contact airline for counter opening hours."

I assume you were planning on staying at the airport from your arrival time on Nov 14th to your AA departure on Nov 15th - if you could check your bag well in advance at Kowloon Station?

If yes, you will need your AA boarding pass to enter back to airside (if you are exiting immigration and picking up your bag on arrival from BKK).

Also, based on my recent 4:30 am arrival on CX, I was stuck for a while as the lounge only opened at 5:30 am.

(P.S. Having just gone through a similar adventure twice at HKG, the other option is that you can pay a fee to store your bag until check in, which means you can't go to the lounge until check-in opens.)
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
As long as you're within 24 hrs of the flight I've never had a problem checking in with AA at the airport, even if it's the day before. The bag is the tricky part, at an airport like HKG you'd think it would be possible to check it as well, but you never know.

As to the Airport Express check-in option, it's a shared counter with several other airlines. If the AA AAgents at HKG wouldn't accept your bag the day before, it's doubtful the Airport Express counter would. But again you never know.

With almost a 25 hr layover though, I'd get a hotel in the city, enjoy HKG for a night, and forget about having to worry about your bag etc.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
@24left thanks for taking the time and looking for those links! Ill definitely consider the hours of the lounge!

@JJeffrey yeah I have done the 24hrs prior to my departure check-in before but only in AA hubs such as DFW/MIA/JFK. Do you think that would be an option in HKG since, from what I remember from my last AA138 back in April, the staff working at the check-in counters was 3rd party/contracted and not actual AA employees? I will definitely get a hotel room in the city and spend the night in HKG just wanted to get rid of the bag and get to the airport as soon as possible on the 15th (day of my flight) and not have to wait till 12:45pm when the counters open at HKG.

Again, thank you both for your input/intel and suggestions!

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 4, 2016 at 8:12 am Reason: Replaced URL tags with B
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've done this for DL flights to the USA. You can check the bag anytime on the day of departure, which probably means starting around 5 am as the airport express train doesn't run all night.

My impression is that, at least at the Kowloon station, off to the side to the left as you enter, CX has a staffed (by CX employees) check in area with at least one separate elite area/line. [I don't know whether there are separate lines for various status levels and different cabin classes.] Straight ahead you see a counter that the airport (or airport express) runs as a combined check in facility for all airlines not served by CX. This area has with no elite lines, although I've never had to wait long. There's a lot of phoning to airline agents at the airport if there are any problems with the ticket or reservation. I don't know how IROPs would be handled here.

You need an airport express ticket to enter the luggage check in area (or you can pay with an oyster card, etc.). When you return to take the train to the airport, the same ticket works (or you're not charged a second time that day when you tap your oyster card). This seems to mean that you could, in principle, pay for the airport express train to check your bags early in the city and then later take a taxi to actually go to the airport.

IIRC the normal deadline to check a bag, at least at Kowloon, is something like an hour and a half before departure, which is supposed to be the last train you should take to the airport, but I don't think they control/enforce which train the passenger takes--it's only really a deadline for using the airport express check in and baggage drop services.

CX and other foreign carriers might allow you to check bags at the airport starting at T-24 (for SQ at SIN, it starts at T-48 and you can even go airside then IME), but AFAIK no USA carrier permits this for flights to the USA due to TSA security rules.

A good hotel concierge should know all the current rules. The concierge can check whether your airline participates.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 4, 2016 at 8:45 am
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
....(or you can pay with an oyster card, etc.). .....
Slight correction

It's an Octopus card and I'm looking at mine right now.

P.S. For others who may read this thread

HKG MTR - Octopus Cards
http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/ti...t_octopus.html

Tickets and Fares
http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/tf_index.html
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:59 am

The Airport Express Counter are shared between several airlines. I think CS has their own people there, all other airlines have contractors. You can check your luggage in there as soon as they open (first train is around 6 am). As mentioned you need to have a ticket for the train to get to the counters. You can then go back into town, take any train later in the day to the airport (or go immediately), go thru security/immigration and use the lounges.
I don't think you can check in the day before at the airport express station.
Sounds like your best bet is to stay somewhere in town, check in at the station very early, take one of the first trains and spend a few hours in the lounge(s). The CS F lounges are very nice, but some other airlines have much better offerings for F passengers.

The ticket counters inside the airport express stations take credit cards, no need to buy an octopus if you are not planning to return frequently. There is a free shutle bus from the stations to many hotels.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
The Airport Express Counter are shared between several airlines....
Right, which is why I included the link to the MTR site with the list of airlines

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
...The CS F lounges are very nice, but some other airlines have much better offerings for F passengers....
Did you mean CX?

Since OP stated:

Originally Posted by e.araujo
...I plan on hanging out at The Pier First Class lounge as much time as possible before my flight thanks to my EXP Status so that’s why I ask.....
I tried to focus my reply to that objective.

I did not get the impression that the OP intended to go into town and stay at a hotel.

Also, as for the hotel shuttles from Kowloon Station, while efficient, I found that for a stay of 24 hours or less, it was a bit time-consuming - unless I had to be in town for a meeting. If I had a layover of 15-18 hours, I stayed at the Marriott SkyCity at HKIA. Great experiences, efficient shuttle and obviously close to the airport.
---

NOTE to AA FTers: Since this thread was posted after my recent multiple trips, it would be great if anyone on upcoming AA to/from HKG could verify the advance check-in times and if service is available at the Kowloon Station check-in counters.

Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
I haven't tried it, but if you are unable to check in your bag and you don't want to bring it with you overnight, you could store your bag at a storage facility at the airport for $140 HKD ~ $20 USD.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...t-baggage.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.