Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: AA HKG / Hong Kong Int’l. Airport Connections, MCT, Arrival & Departure, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to HKG Airport information on aa.com, including ticket / check-in counter hours.

Link to HKG Airport information

MCT is 1:00 for through same ticket connections where your baggage has been checked through.

NOTE that connecting with separate tickets may require you to process immigration, collect baggage and process customs, then checking in with your departure airline and processing security. One hour will not suffice.

Check-in: Ticket counter Terminal 1 (This location does not accept cash)
  • Flight 126 - Daily: 12:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
  • Flight 192 - Daily: 4:40 p.m. - 6:40 p.m

At HKG, Terminal 1 one can also check in earlier at the “Self check-in” purple highlighted kiosks available at Terminal 1; select the AA display. You should also be able to update your airline FFP and number at this time.

Passengers carrying only hand luggage can then proceed directly to immigration, while those with check-in luggage may drop their bag(s) at the Bag Drop Counter located just steps away from the kiosks.

"Special notice

If you are taking the Airport Express, you can enjoy the convenient free in-town check-in (Airport Express Station) service in Hong Kong and Kowloon Stations to check in between 90 minutes and within the same day of the departure date." (aa.com - current 25 Jan 2018)
Print Wikipost

Guide: AA HKG / Hong Kong Int’l. Airport Connections, MCT, Arrival & Departure, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by transparent
Trying to decide what to do for an upcoming separate ticket connection. The option is either a 6:30am flight which gives like 10 hours layover at HKG, or one that is scheduled to arrive just 50 minutes before. (CX654 to AA192). Carry-on only. Would people chance this? (to avoid the awful morning wake up and really long layover)
I personally will not. CX regional might be delayed, and if you are going from a high number gate to a lower number one, you could only walk. However, IIRC in your case, you are protected by AA regardless of separate ticket or not.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Trying to decide what to do for an upcoming separate ticket connection. The option is either a 6:30am flight which gives like 10 hours layover at HKG, or one that is scheduled to arrive just 50 minutes before. (CX654 to AA192). Carry-on only. Would people chance this? (to avoid the awful morning wake up and really long layover)
I book separate tickets like that all the time, and generally have a VERY high risk tolerance for this type of thing, but even I probably wouldn't risk a 50 min connection in this scenario. I typically find that online check-in for flights from Asia & Europe to the US works maybe 50% of the time, so if you're not able to get your AA boarding pass beforehand then you'd be especially screwed.

CX has tons of BKK-HKG flights each day, is there not another one available closer to midday that avoids the early wake up but also leaves a bigger connection window?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
As others have mentioned, 50 minutes is cutting it really close. Despite having to get up early, I would use the 10 hour layover as an opportunity to hop on the HKIA and head into town for lunch in the mid-levels. Same day return ticket on the HKIA is the same as a one way ticket, HK$115.

If you think you have too much carry-on to haul across the city, you can always check it in at the HKIA Hong Kong station before heading further on into town.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Waited until I couldn't anymore

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I personally will not. CX regional might be delayed, and if you are going from a high number gate to a lower number one, you could only walk. However, IIRC in your case, you are protected by AA regardless of separate ticket or not.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I book separate tickets like that all the time, and generally have a VERY high risk tolerance for this type of thing, but even I probably wouldn't risk a 50 min connection in this scenario. I typically find that online check-in for flights from Asia & Europe to the US works maybe 50% of the time, so if you're not able to get your AA boarding pass beforehand then you'd be especially screwed.

CX has tons of BKK-HKG flights each day, is there not another one available closer to midday that avoids the early wake up but also leaves a bigger connection window?
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
As others have mentioned, 50 minutes is cutting it really close. Despite having to get up early, I would use the 10 hour layover as an opportunity to hop on the HKIA and head into town for lunch in the mid-levels. Same day return ticket on the HKIA is the same as a one way ticket, HK$115.

If you think you have too much carry-on to haul across the city, you can always check it in at the HKIA Hong Kong station before heading further on into town.
Thanks for the perspectives-- was looking at booking an Avios flight in Y for the sub-3hr flight, but only availability was after my already booked flight out of HKG at 7:40pm, or 6:30am. The several ideal mid-day flights were even marked as "full" for Asia Miles. Finally, ended up booking J for the 11:40am flight just about 36 hours before departure since at that time, I was either going to have to pay for an economy one-way with mid-day departure at $240+ (or 6:30am on AirAsia), and all other award options would be the same cost in Y as Avios would be in J.

As luck would have it, CX opened up additional Y award space on Asia Miles and to partners (more on AM of course) 24 hours before departure... considered changing it but it was only barely worth the change fees to save the points. That being said, while my risk tolerance is pretty high, I don't know that I would have slept well waiting until the day before to see if I would be able to make my connecting flight!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Exit airport with 2.5 hours?

Traveling MNL-HKG-DFW. Will I have time to exit the airport and immediately re-enter? Really just looking for the passport stamp. I have two checked bags that will be checked through to DFW. Not sure if that wil prohibit me from exiting.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by MichaelKade

Traveling MNL-HKG-DFW. Will I have time to exit the airport and immediately re-enter? Really just looking for the passport stamp. I have two checked bags that will be checked through to DFW. Not sure if that wil prohibit me from exiting.
HKG does not have passport stamp anymore. It's a small piece of paper for a while. And even if you ask, they won't stamp.

Source: Non-stamping Immigration Clearance Arrangement | Immigration Department

Q 2: Can the visitor request stamping on his/her travel document so as to keep the travel record?

A 2: Upon implementation of non-stamping immigration clearance arrangement, the immigration counter officers will not stamp on the visitors’ travel documents. If the visitor needs to refer to his/her travel record, he/she may submit an “Application for a Statement of Travel Records” to the Records Centre of the Immigration Department and pay the application fee.

But, 2.5 hours are usually enough to exit and re-enter, just no more stamps.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Don’t bother exiting. As demonstrated above, no immigration stamp.

Buy a postage stamp, go to an exchange counter or other bureaux at HKG and ask for a stamp on your non-visa notes pages at the end of the passport; someone should have some kind of stamp within the Airport confines - maybe a lounge?

(I did this at the Oficina Antártica | Tierra del Fuego - Fin del Mundo in Ushuaia prior to boarding an Antarctic cruise, then got additional stamps at Polish and British Antarctic research stations.)
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Ex, UA Prem G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Transiting with 2 different itienraries in HKG

Hello everyone,
This is the first time I booked 2 different flights in different reservations/itineraries: DFW-HKG-DFW with AA and a second itinerary with Malaysia Airlines HKG=KUL-HKG. I am concerned with my returned itinerary: KUL-HKG (Malaysia Airlines) transiting and connecting in HKG (HKG-DFW (AA)). I have flown multiple time connecting in HKG, but I always get checked in all the way to DFW. Now, this is my first doing it this way. I may be able to figure it out at the airport in HKG, but I just want to be prepare.
I am returning from KUL to HKG on March 11th. I get to HKG at 12:30pm and my flight with AA from HKG-DFW (AA126) departs at 245pm. I have never seen the AA transit counter desk open when I am traveling via HKG.
My question is: Should I go land side and check in in the main AA counters at land side? I see that the AA transfer desk is located at W1, but I dont know if it will be open at 12:30pm or everyone will be at the main AA check in counter in the land side. I called AA ep and they cant get me the hours of operation for the transfer desk.

Thank you
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by da_erazo
Hello everyone,
This is the first time I booked 2 different flights in different reservations/itineraries: DFW-HKG-DFW with AA and a second itinerary with Malaysia Airlines HKG=KUL-HKG. I am concerned with my returned itinerary: KUL-HKG (Malaysia Airlines) transiting and connecting in HKG (HKG-DFW (AA)). I have flown multiple time connecting in HKG, but I always get checked in all the way to DFW. Now, this is my first doing it this way. I may be able to figure it out at the airport in HKG, but I just want to be prepare.
I am returning from KUL to HKG on March 11th. I get to HKG at 12:30pm and my flight with AA from HKG-DFW (AA126) departs at 245pm. I have never seen the AA transit counter desk open when I am traveling via HKG.
My question is: Should I go land side and check in in the main AA counters at land side? I see that the AA transfer desk is located at W1, but I dont know if it will be open at 12:30pm or everyone will be at the main AA check in counter in the land side. I called AA ep and they cant get me the hours of operation for the transfer desk.

Thank you
I've done this before, and as an EXP you will be able to use the MH KUL F class check in counters. If needed, they will check your bags through to DFW even if on separate tickets, just have all your record locator/PNR data readily available. As such you'll also get your BPs for the complete journey, so all you'll have to do is to go through transit security after arriving in HKG and head to the Pier F lounge to wait for your DFW flight.

As a side note, the MH Satellite F Lounge should be reopening soon, so you should check that out when departing from KUL..

Enjoy!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Ex, UA Prem G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Great!..
Thank you for the reply teemuflyer..
I will get my record locator and PNR together for it.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by da_erazo
Great!..
Thank you for the reply teemuflyer..
I will get my record locator and PNR together for it.
In the event you're not able to get your AA boarding pass at KUL, then the AA transit desk at area W1 should be open around 12:30pm.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Will I be denied boarding for an illegal MCT?

I had booked the following itinerary on Friday through an agent on the EXP line:

September 18:
AA 193 LAX - HKG, arriving at 7:25AM
CX 8910 HKG - SGN departing at 8:35AM

This reservation was confirmed and ticketed. Then the next day I got a call from AA saying that they had to rebook me on a different flight because CX MCT is 80 minutes. When I called yesterday to rebook they said that they had no other options to get me to SGN at my desired arrival. Basically, there were options via CX from LAX to HKG but they wouldn't pay the difference in fare. When I asked what would happen if I made no changes they said I would be denied boarding in LA.

When I just checked my trips on AA it looks like my reservation no longer exists. Seems like they just cancelled out the ticket?

What are my options here?

Last edited by michaelpop; Sep 3, 2018 at 11:51 am
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Almost certainly AA has cancelled your ticket. You may certainly call to confirm that this is the case, but it is AA's only real option as your connection was below MCT and you have declined the alternatives.

Your choices are now to ask for a refund to your original form of payment or for a credit against future travel. Not sure why one would take the latter, but it is your option.

If you still wish to fly to SGN, you will need to find other options and book one of those.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
This seems surprising to me because it seems like an I:I USA:VN AA:CX connection at HKG should have a MCT of 1 hour. (Heck, I just did a 70 minute UA:CX I:I ticket last week.)
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yea, an 80 min MCT seems way too high for HKG. HUCA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.