Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: AA HKG / Hong Kong Int’l. Airport Connections, MCT, Arrival & Departure, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to HKG Airport information on aa.com, including ticket / check-in counter hours.

Link to HKG Airport information

MCT is 1:00 for through same ticket connections where your baggage has been checked through.

NOTE that connecting with separate tickets may require you to process immigration, collect baggage and process customs, then checking in with your departure airline and processing security. One hour will not suffice.

Check-in: Ticket counter Terminal 1 (This location does not accept cash)
  • Flight 126 - Daily: 12:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
  • Flight 192 - Daily: 4:40 p.m. - 6:40 p.m

At HKG, Terminal 1 one can also check in earlier at the “Self check-in” purple highlighted kiosks available at Terminal 1; select the AA display. You should also be able to update your airline FFP and number at this time.

Passengers carrying only hand luggage can then proceed directly to immigration, while those with check-in luggage may drop their bag(s) at the Bag Drop Counter located just steps away from the kiosks.

"Special notice

If you are taking the Airport Express, you can enjoy the convenient free in-town check-in (Airport Express Station) service in Hong Kong and Kowloon Stations to check in between 90 minutes and within the same day of the departure date." (aa.com - current 25 Jan 2018)
Print Wikipost

Guide: AA HKG / Hong Kong Int’l. Airport Connections, MCT, Arrival & Departure, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by King1028
I am not sure where to put this so I apologize in advance if its in the wrong place.

I am flying HKG - DFW on AA 126 next month. I am EXP and also in F on the 3-cabin flight. The flights departs at 2:20pm and I wanted to get to the airport early to do a little lounge hopping (this will be my first time to HKG and I have heard amazing things about the OW lounges there). The AA website says check-in for flight 126 opens ~2 hours before take-off at 12:15pm. Does anyone know if I will be able to access the lounges if I arrive ~4 hours before departure? I am not checking luggage but assume I won't be able to use electronic check-in given the passport check. Will I be able to get a boarding pass from a OW partner's counter? Any other ideas would be welcome.

Thank you!
Originally Posted by RDUflyer2
The AA counter at the HKG airport for my last trip in February opened I thought 3 hours before departure. While I was also in F and got checked in quickly you typically spend 30-45 minutes between check-in, security and walking/riding wherever. My suggestion would be to be sure to take the Airport Express from Kowloon or Hong Kong station to the airport and make use of the intown checkin and baggage check (if needed). I can't remember the exact rules but am sure you can check-in earlier that morning and then hop on the train with boarding pass on hand. For some reason it seems that they might even let you check-in 24 hours in advance but you'd have to look at the Airport Express rules on that. It is a very convenient and easy process. Enjoy the lounges. Others may have some ideas or correct my information but I think this is fairly accurate.
I've checked in way earlier at the Hong Kong HEX station multiple times, Much easier and allows for one to grab one more lunch in town, or get to the lounges(s) for lunch, massage, etc. with an additional buffer.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 7:29 am

Flying DFW-HKG (AA first) connecting to HKG-TPE (CX business) on separate tickets. Just tried to check in for the CX flight and apparently need to collect a BP at the airport, which is presumably in HKG.

I assume it's a simple process to stop by a transfer desk before heading through security? Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dave_261
Flying DFW-HKG (AA first) connecting to HKG-TPE (CX business) on separate tickets. Just tried to check in for the CX flight and apparently need to collect a BP at the airport, which is presumably in HKG.

I assume it's a simple process to stop by a transfer desk before heading through security? Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks.
Correct. Just did AA LAX-HKG and then CX to PEK. Very, very easy.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by dave_261

Thanks.
Nothing more to it. They have a very efficient transfer process overall.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:46 am
amm

I definitely should’ve checked earlier, but I’m doing SYD-HKG on CX138, arriving at around 530am Dec 5. Under a separate reservation I’m on AA192 HKG-LAX, which departs at 755pm.

I take off from Sydney ~30 mins before check in opens for the latter flight. Will the AA transfer desk be open to get my boarding pass so I can clear security right away? Had no problems doing the reverse last week but it didn’t look like there was anyone at the AA desk when I was in line for the Cathay desk.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by amm
I definitely should’ve checked earlier, but I’m doing SYD-HKG on CX138, arriving at around 530am Dec 5. Under a separate reservation I’m on AA192 HKG-LAX, which departs at 755pm. I take off from Sydney ~30 mins before check in opens for the latter flight. Will the AA transfer desk be open to get my boarding pass so I can clear security right away? Had no problems doing the reverse last week but it didn’t look like there was anyone at the AA desk when I was in line for the Cathay desk.
While I do not have an immediate answer, my suggestion would be to check in online in advance and get your boarding pass that way. My experience of the terminal check in is AA opens 3 hours in advance of the flight and as the DFW is the earlier flight departing at 15 45, there could well be no desk available until 12 45. So I would suggest the online check in is the best option.

Also CX138 has a habit of arriving in HKG very early, last Saturday at 04 30 (Got me home nice and early as well).

Good Luck!
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:54 am
amm

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
While I do not have an immediate answer, my suggestion would be to check in online in advance and get your boarding pass that way. My experience of the terminal check in is AA opens 3 hours in advance of the flight and as the DFW is the earlier flight departing at 15 45, there could well be no desk available until 12 45. So I would suggest the online check in is the best option.

Also CX138 has a habit of arriving in HKG very early, last Saturday at 04 30 (Got me home nice and early as well).

Good Luck!
Thanks! Will hope that the transfer desk is open, but will otherwise get a mobile boarding pass. Tbh just want to test out all the lounges and REALLY don’t want to have to sit in that weird pre-security limbo area for hours.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by amm
Thanks! Will hope that the transfer desk is open, but will otherwise get a mobile boarding pass. Tbh just want to test out all the lounges and REALLY don’t want to have to sit in that weird pre-security limbo area for hours.
I know this is a little unconventional, but if the mobile BP is not available, it might be worth it to take the HKG express r/t to the Kowloon station where you can check in as far as 24 hrs in advance and then head back to the airport to hang out in the lounge(s).
amm and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Originally Posted by amm
In my experience mobile/online check-in almost never works on AA when flying to the USA, especially from Asia, so I wouldn't count on that (but definitely give it a shot).

The main landside check in desks open at 11:15am according to aa.com, the transit desk should be open earlier than that however most likely not at ~5am yet. On the HKG Airport Website transit page there is a phone number for AA inquiries under the transit section, you could try giving them a ring.

Other than that, teemu's suggestion above re: Airport Express to Kowloon and check-in there is great and might be your only option, also a good way to kill an hour or two. Personally if you're going that far I would kill some time walking around the city, eat breakfast, etc., HKG is a fantastic airport with fantastic lounges however after 12+ hrs I would be going bonkers.
teemuflyer and lds89 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
In my experience mobile/online check-in almost never works on AA when flying to the USA, especially from Asia, so I wouldn't count on that (but definitely give it a shot).
Interesting, I do not use it often but not had a problem in Hong Kong. I will bear this in mind when flying AA to the US from another country.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does AA offer any sort of premium arrival services for AA F pax or Concierge Key when arriving (not transiting) HKG? Am hoping for a quick immigration check as am on a time crunch and debating whether to pay for an arrival service otherwise.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:54 pm

No, but there is normally not much of a wait when this flight arrives. Expect to be out in baggage claim within 10 minutes of gate arrival. The early bank of flights are around 5-7 AM. AA193 is rarely early (sometimes very late) and by 7:15-7:30 things quiet down significantly at immigration. Note that even during peak times visitors are unlikely to wait more than 15-20 minutes at HKG to get through immigration.

Finally, the concierge arrival service (which is provided by Worldwide Flight Services regardless of who you book through, including hotels) doesn't offer priority access through immigration. You do get a golf cart ride to immigration which may or may not save a few minutes depending on the arrival gate, but other than that, everyone is treated the same at HKG unless you have e-channel access, an APEC card, or a Diplomatic passport.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:47 pm
amm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey

The main landside check in desks open at 11:15am according to aa.com, the transit desk should be open earlier than that however most likely not at ~5am yet. On the HKG Airport Website transit page there is a phone number for AA inquiries under the transit section, you could try giving them a ring.

Other than that, teemu's suggestion above re: Airport Express to Kowloon and check-in there is great and might be your only option, also a good way to kill an hour or two. Personally if you're going that far I would kill some time walking around the city, eat breakfast, etc., HKG is a fantastic airport with fantastic lounges however after 12+ hrs I would be going bonkers.
I was able to check in on my phone upon landing and use the mobile boarding pass to get through security (and into the lounges) no problem. It definitely was a loooong layover but I was able to lounge hop and use the Cathay first class lounges which was really exciting for me.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by B-HQC
No, but there is normally not much of a wait when this flight arrives. Expect to be out in baggage claim within 10 minutes of gate arrival. The early bank of flights are around 5-7 AM. AA193 is rarely early (sometimes very late) and by 7:15-7:30 things quiet down significantly at immigration. Note that even during peak times visitors are unlikely to wait more than 15-20 minutes at HKG to get through immigration.
Only problem is whenever I have taken this flight the arrival gate has always been in the high 40s, the furthest possible from immigration on the Southwest Pier though I have also been quite lucky (and now jinxed myself for the future) by saying I have always been early on that flight
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:17 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum
Considering connecting in HKG on separate tickets in July. KA-AA with KA inbound from KUL arriving 12:25PM, AA Outbound to DFW departing 2:20PM.
We would likely have checked baggage.
Is this realistic? Never connected through HKG before so unsure if we'll need to clear customs/etc, especially on separate tickets.

Last edited by wk989; Jan 16, 2020 at 2:20 pm Reason: Correct info-- remembered we may be checking a bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.