Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: AA HKG / Hong Kong Int’l. Airport Connections, MCT, Arrival & Departure, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to HKG Airport information on aa.com, including ticket / check-in counter hours.

Link to HKG Airport information

MCT is 1:00 for through same ticket connections where your baggage has been checked through.

NOTE that connecting with separate tickets may require you to process immigration, collect baggage and process customs, then checking in with your departure airline and processing security. One hour will not suffice.

Check-in: Ticket counter Terminal 1 (This location does not accept cash)
  • Flight 126 - Daily: 12:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
  • Flight 192 - Daily: 4:40 p.m. - 6:40 p.m

At HKG, Terminal 1 one can also check in earlier at the “Self check-in” purple highlighted kiosks available at Terminal 1; select the AA display. You should also be able to update your airline FFP and number at this time.

Passengers carrying only hand luggage can then proceed directly to immigration, while those with check-in luggage may drop their bag(s) at the Bag Drop Counter located just steps away from the kiosks.

"Special notice

If you are taking the Airport Express, you can enjoy the convenient free in-town check-in (Airport Express Station) service in Hong Kong and Kowloon Stations to check in between 90 minutes and within the same day of the departure date." (aa.com - current 25 Jan 2018)
Print Wikipost

Guide: AA HKG / Hong Kong Int’l. Airport Connections, MCT, Arrival & Departure, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wk989
Considering connecting in HKG on separate tickets in July. KA-AA with KA inbound from KUL arriving 12:25PM, AA Outbound to DFW departing 2:20PM.
We would likely have checked baggage.
Is this realistic? Never connected through HKG before so unsure if we'll need to clear customs/etc, especially on separate tickets.
It's really a KA question, but they should check your bags through. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...e-pnrs-33.html 1:55 is an easy connection at HKG. It would be doable even if you had to enter Hong Kong to recheck your bags.

In general, flying separate tix it's really better if you don't have to check bags. It's one less thing that can potentially go wrong.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:03 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's really a KA question, but they should check your bags through. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...e-pnrs-33.html 1:55 is an easy connection at HKG. It would be doable even if you had to enter Hong Kong to recheck your bags.

In general, flying separate tix it's really better if you don't have to check bags. It's one less thing that can potentially go wrong.
I agree-- I prefer not to check bags. Unfortunately I think the Y weight limit on CX/KA will force us to -- my Rimowa weighs something like 3.5kg empty and the limit is 7kg. Is it likely for this limit to be ignored, given the bags fully meet carry-on size requirements?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wk989
I agree-- I prefer not to check bags. Unfortunately I think the Y weight limit on CX/KA will force us to -- my Rimowa weighs something like 3.5kg empty and the limit is 7kg. Is it likely for this limit to be ignored, given the bags fully meet carry-on size requirements?
I can't speak to Y, but I regularly carry-on overweight in CX J, including my oversize Rimowa Cabin Plus.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:11 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
I can't speak to Y, but I regularly carry-on overweight in CX J, including my oversize Rimowa Cabin Plus.
Hmmm-- ok. Probably will just try to carry it on then. I'm connecting to AA J, and I've never had issues there.
Worst case it goes in the hold for the first leg.
Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:07 pm

I'm a very frequent CX traveler and have never seen them weigh carry ons at the gate or at check in, but I am Emerald. If you don't have status, to be safe, I would either check in online and go straight to the gate or have someone stay behind with your carry on and not bring it to the counter until after you check in.

Generally, carry ons are not an issue as everyone can check bags for free and the planes are all WBs.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by B-HQC
I'm a very frequent CX traveler and have never seen them weigh carry ons at the gate or at check in, but I am Emerald. If you don't have status, to be safe, I would either check in online and go straight to the gate or have someone stay behind with your carry on and not bring it to the counter until after you check in.

Generally, carry ons are not an issue as everyone can check bags for free and the planes are all WBs.
CX is usually a no hassles airline. It's one of the reasons I like flying them so much.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:38 am

Flying tomorrow BKK to HKG, CX, on ticket #1 , arriving around 12 noon.
Departing on ticket #2 to AA, HK-LAX at 7:55pm
Tried to do online check-in and got the dreaded check-in at the airport message. (Recently renewed my passport.)

Given the virus outbreak, no desire to go into HKG.

Any thoughts on ways to get past transit security from people with this experience?

1. If I check a bag at BKK to LAX will they be able to print my AA on the second ticket? (I don't need to check a bag, but would to get the bp.)
2. Anyone know the hours of the AA transit desk at HKG?
3. With the earlier DFW flight, the transit desk should be open for that flight. Is there an issue with me using it to check-in for the LAX flight? (Some European airports only open check-in for the next flight.)

Other thoughts on getting the AA bp?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Global321
Flying tomorrow BKK to HKG, CX, on ticket #1 , arriving around 12 noon.
Departing on ticket #2 to AA, HK-LAX at 7:55pm
Tried to do online check-in and got the dreaded check-in at the airport message. (Recently renewed my passport.)

Given the virus outbreak, no desire to go into HKG.

Any thoughts on ways to get past transit security from people with this experience?

1. If I check a bag at BKK to LAX will they be able to print my AA on the second ticket? (I don't need to check a bag, but would to get the bp.)
2. Anyone know the hours of the AA transit desk at HKG?
3. With the earlier DFW flight, the transit desk should be open for that flight. Is there an issue with me using it to check-in for the LAX flight? (Some European airports only open check-in for the next flight.)

Other thoughts on getting the AA bp?

Thanks in advance.
Just go to the AA transit desk once you land in HKG, it will be open and no issues at all to check you in and print BP for the flight to LAX.

Just as a data point, I had a similar connection last year arriving from PEK around 1pm connecting to LAX around 7:50pm, no problem at all to grab AA boarding pass from the AA transit desk.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Just go to the AA transit desk once you land in HKG, it will be open and no issues at all to check you in and print BP for the flight to LAX.

Just as a data point, I had a similar connection last year arriving from PEK around 1pm connecting to LAX around 7:50pm, no problem at all to grab AA boarding pass from the AA transit desk.
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you remember it was East or West transit?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you remember it was East or West transit?
AA uses transit desk W1, basically at the center of the "Y" of the HKG terminal, if that makes sense.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/map/#transferDesk_W1
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA uses transit desk W1, basically at the center of the "Y" of the HKG terminal, if that makes sense.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/map/#transferDesk_W1
Thanks again. I got lucky... In Bangkok, I went to the CX check-in counter for my CX flight and told them I was connecting to a second itinerary on AA and gave them the itinerary. She was able to print all AA bp's right there. No need to check a bag. Shame AA can't be so customer friendly.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:02 am

Thanks again. I got lucky... In Bangkok, I went to the CX check-in counter for my CX flight and told them I was connecting to a second itinerary on AA and gave them the itinerary. She was able to print all AA bp's right there. No need to check a bag.
CX agents are wonderfully competent.
Global321 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.