Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: AA HKG / Hong Kong Int’l. Airport Connections, MCT, Arrival & Departure, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to HKG Airport information on aa.com, including ticket / check-in counter hours.

Link to HKG Airport information

MCT is 1:00 for through same ticket connections where your baggage has been checked through.

NOTE that connecting with separate tickets may require you to process immigration, collect baggage and process customs, then checking in with your departure airline and processing security. One hour will not suffice.

Check-in: Ticket counter Terminal 1 (This location does not accept cash)
  • Flight 126 - Daily: 12:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
  • Flight 192 - Daily: 4:40 p.m. - 6:40 p.m

At HKG, Terminal 1 one can also check in earlier at the “Self check-in” purple highlighted kiosks available at Terminal 1; select the AA display. You should also be able to update your airline FFP and number at this time.

Passengers carrying only hand luggage can then proceed directly to immigration, while those with check-in luggage may drop their bag(s) at the Bag Drop Counter located just steps away from the kiosks.

"Special notice

If you are taking the Airport Express, you can enjoy the convenient free in-town check-in (Airport Express Station) service in Hong Kong and Kowloon Stations to check in between 90 minutes and within the same day of the departure date." (aa.com - current 25 Jan 2018)
Print Wikipost

Guide: AA HKG / Hong Kong Int’l. Airport Connections, MCT, Arrival & Departure, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
That doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure I've had way shorter connections than that at HKG before. Pretty sure CX sells 45 minute connections. Shouldn't make any difference that you're arriving on AA not CX.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by no1cub17
That doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure I've had way shorter connections than that at HKG before. Pretty sure CX sells 45 minute connections. Shouldn't make any difference that you're arriving on AA not CX.
could easily make a difference, since CX may have different MCT for its online connection versus what AA has for interline AA-CX

Looking on Expert Flyer, that is shown as a valid connection and the MCTs listed do seem to allow it
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 3, 2018 at 3:26 pm
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
MCT represents a carrier's willingness to accept the risk of a misconnect. Nothing more. In this case, the risk of a misconnect falls on AA and thus it is AA's MCT for I (AA) - I(CX) which is all that matters.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
CX's MCT page doesn't show anything at 80 minutes.

The general "Codeshare flights" is 75 minutes. You are going from an AA flight to an AA flight number on CX metal (assuming you are on AA8910, which shares CX767, not CX8910 as posted, which doesn't seem to exist), so perhaps that's where it falls.

Also, the "general" MCT footnote says "check with your carrier" and there is no specific line for AA connections.

(Plus, isn't this an AA connection, so all the CX MCT data points are irrelevant?)
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I missed that it was actually an AA-AA connection ( being an AA codeshare on CX )

Looking at the MCT in EF for AA-AA , it does indeed show as being 80 minutes

AA-AA II 1.20

Looking at availability, EF doesn't show the AA-AA connection

If you rebook the HKG-SGN on the CX flight number CX767, that shows as a valid connection
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yea, an 80 min MCT seems way too high for HKG. HUCA?
So I waited a day and called back to explore my options and the agent I spoke to easily and efficiently saw the earlier CX flight and in the span of just a few minutes had me rebooked with seat assignments. To think just a day earlier I was being told being rebooked on that flight would've cost me $1700!

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I missed that it was actually an AA-AA connection ( being an AA codeshare on CX )
Looking at the MCT in EF for AA-AA , it does indeed show as being 80 minutes
AA-AA II 1.20
Looking at availability, EF doesn't show the AA-AA connection
If you rebook the HKG-SGN on the CX flight number CX767, that shows as a valid connection
I'm thinking that perhaps where this all went sideways was in how the agent booked this? She mentioned something about booking it as a codeshare as opposed to using the CX flight (to get me more miles?) and I didn't think anything of it at the time.

In summary: HUCA is truly the take the cartridge out of the machine, blow on it and put it back in of customer resolutions.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:18 am

Has anyone checked in on the kiosk before the AA ticket counter opens for HKG-DFW? I’m traveling with a companion leaving at 12:00 PM on a non-AA airline and would like to go with them to the airport. We are staying at the airport Marriott so in-town airport express check-in is not an option.

Is a mobile boarding pass an option?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Has anyone checked in on the kiosk before the AA ticket counter opens for HKG-DFW? I’m traveling with a companion leaving at 12:00 PM on a non-AA airline and would like to go with them to the airport. We are staying at the airport Marriott so in-town airport express check-in is not an option.

AE check in is an option since same day r/t is the same price as a o/w. For $90 HKD you could ensure a paper BP.

I know mobile BP is fine for transit security but I've never used it for departures.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter

What time are you arriving at the Marriott the day before? If you're there by late afternoon, you could head over to the AA check-in desks around 6pm (when they would be open for the HKG-LAX flight) and have them check you in as well.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:55 pm

I’m not arriving until 11:30 pm. I’ll try the kiosks when I land and see if I can get a physical boarding pass. The trek to Kowloon, for what will probably close to an hour RT, may not be worth it.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
Originally Posted by dsquared37
AE check in is an option since same day r/t is the same price as a o/w. For $90 HKD you could ensure a paper BP.

I know mobile BP is fine for transit security but I've never used it for departures.
Last time I showed up at HKIA without a paper boarding pass (believe this was late-2017 or early-2018 -- they blend together), I was turned away from the security lane with a mobile BP. Now I just print everything out at the hotel business centers.

I believe the online check-in issues only apply TO HK and not FROM HK, as I recall? I'm on a lot of AA-codeshares on JAL via NRT though so it blends together a bit...
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by dp4m
Last time I showed up at HKIA without a paper boarding pass (believe this was late-2017 or early-2018 -- they blend together), I was turned away from the security lane with a mobile BP. Now I just print everything out at the hotel business centers.

I believe the online check-in issues only apply TO HK and not FROM HK, as I recall? I'm on a lot of AA-codeshares on JAL via NRT though so it blends together a bit...
ah good call, the old school boarding pass print out. I’ll try that out assuming I’m able to check in.
dp4m likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP AY+ Plat UA Silver Marriott Titanium
HKG Check-in Question

I am not sure where to put this so I apologize in advance if its in the wrong place.

I am flying HKG - DFW on AA 126 next month. I am EXP and also in F on the 3-cabin flight. The flights departs at 2:20pm and I wanted to get to the airport early to do a little lounge hopping (this will be my first time to HKG and I have heard amazing things about the OW lounges there). The AA website says check-in for flight 126 opens ~2 hours before take-off at 12:15pm. Does anyone know if I will be able to access the lounges if I arrive ~4 hours before departure? I am not checking luggage but assume I won't be able to use electronic check-in given the passport check. Will I be able to get a boarding pass from a OW partner's counter? Any other ideas would be welcome.

Thank you!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
The AA counter at the HKG airport for my last trip in February opened I thought 3 hours before departure. While I was also in F and got checked in quickly you typically spend 30-45 minutes between check-in, security and walking/riding wherever. My suggestion would be to be sure to take the Airport Express from Kowloon or Hong Kong station to the airport and make use of the intown checkin and baggage check (if needed). I can't remember the exact rules but am sure you can check-in earlier that morning and then hop on the train with boarding pass on hand. For some reason it seems that they might even let you check-in 24 hours in advance but you'd have to look at the Airport Express rules on that. It is a very convenient and easy process. Enjoy the lounges. Others may have some ideas or correct my information but I think this is fairly accurate.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
IIRC in-town check in counters are shared with other airlines, you could try checking in at KL or HK station. CX will not be able to print your BP unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.