Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by rafatmit
Huh. And are they also going to calculate EQPs? That would be the best of both worlds....
Yes, they are. One of the AA FAQs says

EQMs = 2014 AA EQMs + 2014 US PQMs
EQPs = 2014 AA EQPs + 2014 US PQMs

ETA from December:

Originally Posted by ashill
That is explicitly covered in the AA "combining your miles" page.

Post-combination EQPs = US PQMs + AA EQPs
Post-combination EQMs = US PQMs + AA EQMs.

So either way, US fliers with a mix of deep discount and premium fares get a bonus when the programs are combined (since pre-combination premium fares get the discount in EQMs while pre-combination deep discount fares don't take the 50% hit in EQPs).

It occurs to me that if you're flying on a paid premium fare (so it doesn't matter much whether you have an account with status in the reservation), it could be worthwhile for EQM-qualifying AA elites to credit to a US account; that way, after the programs combine, premium flights will get the 50% bonus in EQMs.
Dunno how this got missed in this 1000+ post thread.

Last edited by ashill; Mar 26, 2015 at 12:34 pm
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: Everyone!
Thanks Phoenixtinct & JDiver - yes, it is an AA award that I would need a few of those US miles to ticket. Good idea, I will see if they can extend if mine don't show up by then. Bet they have some nervous IT guys over there at AA
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by rafatmit
D'oh. There's A space on all my Beijing mistake-fare tickets that I want to grab that I hope doesn't disappear before I get my SWUs.
If there is availability now call EXP desk to see if they can/will advance a SWU to book the ticket. If the agents have visibility to your numbers they should be able to determine SWUs will be processed and approve the transaction. There are no rules saying they must so asking nicely just might get you there.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ashill
Yes, they are. One of the AA FAQs says

EQMs = 2014 AA EQMs + 2014 US PQMs
EQPs = 2014 AA EQPs + 2014 US PQMs
Thanks for adding that. It's the equitable thing to do.

The DM members shouldn't have to sacrifice the extra PQM they earned, and adding them to the AA EQP equation gives them their original faster track to status.

One flying in premium cabins will be able to earn

AA Gold with 16,667 EQM (25,000 EQP)
AA Platinum with 33,334 EQM (50,000 EQP)
Aaa Executive Platinum with 66,667 EQM (100,000 EQP)

regardless of whether they were under the 1.5 PQM or EQP earning scheme. And we earn class of service and status bonus miles, so we shouldn't be shorted any RDM (redeemable miles) for awards, upgrades, etc.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by Organgrinder
My AA status was just updated to Executive Platinum but my miles have not come over yet (and SWUs and stickers haven't been posted).
That begs an interesting question. Will US-transferees who become EXP by virtual of US + AA combined mileage get any 500-mile stickers based on US activity? EXPs don't need them for upgrades, and hence don't earn them, but they are useful for companion upgrades and future use if you drop down from EXP.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
That begs an interesting question. Will US-transferees who become EXP by virtual of US + AA combined mileage get any 500-mile stickers based on US activity? EXPs don't need them for upgrades, and hence don't earn them, but they are useful for companion upgrades and future use if you drop down from EXP.
That is an interesting question. We should have an answer within the next few days. Yes, you will!,

EXPs existing 500 mile "sticker" upgrades were earned before they were EXPs. I'm hoping you will get "stickers" for any activity you had last year before earning CP, but it's going to be a case of que será será. And I've not earned a sticker since 2002.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 27, 2015 at 9:06 am Reason: Edit to update
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
The challenge of qualifying with points on premium fares is that the potential EQMs from credit card(s) are essentially lost.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Non-Airline Activity to DM Account

I've searched but not really found any information relating to non-airline activity miles earning. The wife is picking up a Rental Car tomorrow and we booked with a US Airways Code for Double Miles. Is there going to be a constant sweep afterwards for miles that trickle into her DM Account over the next few weeks.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
New AA Account Numbers

Both the wife and I are legacy DM members, we don't fly US anymore since they left Star Alliance. But we both a a few 100K miles in out accounts. Neither of us have an AA number, but was wondering how long after the merge activities we should expect to receive our new AA numbers for the migrated DM Accounts?

We've both gotten emails about the accounts being merged, but none give a time frame for receiving our new AA Account Numbers. I'd like some kind of window, so that if nothing is received by say date xx/yy/zzzz I can initiate some kind of activity to figure out whats going on.

TIA
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:21 pm

Well, there's pros and cons to all methods of earning status. The trick is be aware of all options, and choose the best personally. I always try and have a margin of error.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by anandrag
Me too! Thanks for the heads up!! Wouldn't have checked if you hadn't written this...
Exciting.

By the way, the card they show on the app when selecting 'view my card' is terrible. The level on the card is tiny font written diagonally in the distance. Ridiculous whoever came up with that idea and designed it
I might be wrong, but I think the background color of the entire page displayed in the app changes based on your AAdvantage status. EXP is black, no status is light blue, etc.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
As much as I tried to avoid getting caught up in the merge of the FFP, unfortunately I have my first trip on US since the merger and it falls April 4,5 and 12 (this day is all AA metal). I was able to find a decent premium fare on two of the three legs, but not on the other, so each day's travel is a separate reservation. I hope things go smoothly. I'm guessing since the Y ticket was bought as a codeshare I will be sitting in the back of the bus.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by drowelf
I've searched but not really found any information relating to non-airline activity miles earning. The wife is picking up a Rental Car tomorrow and we booked with a US Airways Code for Double Miles. Is there going to be a constant sweep afterwards for miles that trickle into her DM Account over the next few weeks.
There are US credit cards, bookings with USDM, etc. so for some time they'll be at least internally posting to US and probably batch posting to our AAdvantage accounts.

Originally Posted by drowelf
Both the wife and I are legacy DM members, we don't fly US anymore since they left Star Alliance. But we both a a few 100K miles in out accounts. Neither of us have an AA number, but was wondering how long after the merge activities we should expect to receive our new AA numbers for the migrated DM Accounts?

We've both gotten emails about the accounts being merged, but none give a time frame for receiving our new AA Account Numbers. I'd like some kind of window, so that if nothing is received by say date xx/yy/zzzz I can initiate some kind of activity to figure out whats going on.

TIA
Those who have not opened AAdvantage accounts will be assigned AA accounts. Their stated intent is to e-mail us, but make sure your contact information is up to date and monitor E-mails from US and DM. If the migration is actually accomplished by / on the 28th we should be hearing (and seeing things here) within days.

The dates and changes will continue to be posted, so keep your eyes on this forum for updates as well as emailed updates from the airlines.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by JDiver
There are US credit cards, bookings with USDM, etc. so for some time they'll be at least internally posting to US and probably batch posting to our AAdvantage accounts.
FWIW, on the US Airways site, the "your miles" page now says:

Originally Posted by US Airways
We're combining loyalty programs

Moving forward, your Dividend Miles account will only reflect activity posted through March 25, 2015. Once we've combined programs, you'll find your updated balance on aa.com.
True to that, a pair of segments I had on 3/24 has not shown up, nor have the miles from a CC payment that cleared this week. So we appear to be into the limbo period where we can't tell from the US side whether something has posted.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by ubernostrum
FWIW, on the US Airways site, the "your miles" page now says:

True to that, a pair of segments I had on 3/24 has not shown up, nor have the miles from a CC payment that cleared this week. So we appear to be into the limbo period where we can't tell from the US side whether something has posted.
Ha! "Limbo" is the word to use. I'm guessing the capture at the USDM end will really be a pass through to our AAdvantage accounts. (That's what I meant by saying they'd post "internally".)

We'll be glad when it's over and we've picked up necessary pieces to make our accounts whole when it may be necessary. Being O.C. about boarding passes, credit card statements and the like may pay off on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.