Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by saunders111
So I got an email over the weekend saying as a platinum, after October 17, I will get, among other things:

(*
Same-day flight change
• Available for $75 per passenger
*)

with a link to page which says:
(*
For $75* you can confirm a seat or standby on a different flight as long as the alternate flight:

Has the same origin and destination
Is for the same calendar day of departure
Has eligible seats available
We continue to offer the same-day stand by option for an earlier domestic flight for select customers at no charge, and the same-day standby option is available to all customers online at aa.com.

For our Executive Platinum members, both same-day standby and confirmed flight changes are complimentary.
*)

"Select customers" above is a broken link.
The above suggests that platinums will have to pay $75 for same day standby after 10/17, but to me at least it is not clear.

The elite benefits page says that platinums (currently, I guess) get same day standby for free.

So can someone help me out with this? After 10/17, it is clear that EXPs will not have to pay for SDS or SDC; but what about SDS for the platinums or golds?

Thanks very much,
saunders111
Could you explain where the website suggests that the current AA policy is somehow changing after US goes away?

Last edited by Carl; Jul 14, 2015 at 11:24 am
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by saunders111
We continue to offer the same-day stand by option for an earlier domestic flight for select customers at no charge, and the same-day standby option is available to all customers online at aa.com.

For our Executive Platinum members, both same-day standby and confirmed flight changes are complimentary.
*)

"Select customers" above is a broken link.
"Select customers" is not a broken link for me. It includes "American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold members" (and oneworld equivalents and other customers on the same reservations) on the list of customers exempt from the same day standby fee. It's slightly awkward that they didn't include free standby in the email sent to Platinums and Golds, but there is no evidence that anything is changing.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by ashill
"Select customers" is not a broken link for me. It includes "American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold members" (and oneworld equivalents and other customers on the same reservations) on the list of customers exempt from the same day standby fee. It's slightly awkward that they didn't include free standby in the email sent to Platinums and Golds, but there is no evidence that anything is changing.
Thank you!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:49 pm

hello fellow AA FTers,

first post in AA. how long does it take for AA team to email me back from their contact us link?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by eunduklee
hello fellow AA FTers,

first post in AA. how long does it take for AA team to email me back from their contact us link?
Welcome!

The answer to your question is variable, and depends on whether you requested an acknowledgment using the form and the nature of the issue.

A complaint may result in a pro forma "canned" response within a few days, with an occasional reading and personalised response taking longer.

I wish I could bear better news, but it is what it is, not what I want it to be.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
I am a newbie considering taking a new job that requires quite a bit of travel, weekly in fact Mon-Thurs I will be using AA pretty much exclusively. Am I reading the requirements for Ex Plat correctly ? You need either 100000 Miles/Points or 120 Segments ? The airport I fly out of always goes to Charlotte 1st, so if I fly from home-charlotte-some other city then back again that is 4 segments ? So if I fly 4 times a month I earn 16 segments monthly ? Thanks for your answers
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by dgparent
I am a newbie considering taking a new job that requires quite a bit of travel, weekly in fact Mon-Thurs I will be using AA pretty much exclusively. Am I reading the requirements for Ex Plat correctly ? You need either 100000 Miles/Points or 120 Segments ? The airport I fly out of always goes to Charlotte 1st, so if I fly from home-charlotte-some other city then back again that is 4 segments ? So if I fly 4 times a month I earn 16 segments monthly ? Thanks for your answers
Hi,

Probably not, because a through flight - let's call it AA0123 - flies PHL-CLT-MIA, you will only get one segment and miles as if it were PHL-MIA without a stop. To make it work for segments you'd have to be sure to connect at CLT to a flight with a different number.

Then again, FlyerTalk can help you with a lot of good information to avoid making a costly (to status and miles earning) mistake.

Look at your schedule - and review the status challenge thread, to see if you might qualify (through your flying and routes) to use the shortcut to status, double miles, upgrade e-coupons, etc. Open the wiki at the top of this page - you'll find some links to very informative threads, many with wikis that summarize the information pertinent to that topic, followed by a lot of relevant questions and information that is often provided by our most knowledgeable members.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by JDiver
Hi,

Probably not, because a through flight - let's call it AA0123 - flies PHL-CLT-MIA, you will only get one segment and miles as if it were PHL-MIA without a stop. To make it work for segments you'd have to be sure to connect at CLT to a flight with a different number.

Then again, FlyerTalk can help you with a lot of good information to avoid making a costly (to status and miles earning) mistake.

Look at your schedule - and review the status challenge thread, to see if you might qualify (through your flying and routes) to use the shortcut to status, double miles, upgrade e-coupons, etc. Open the wiki at the top of this page - you'll find some links to very informative threads, many with wikis that summarize the information pertinent to that topic, followed by a lot of relevant questions and information that is often provided by our most knowledgeable members.
Thanks - the flights will all have different numbers as the flights from my home airport are all US Airways Express and the flights from Clt are all normal US Airways flights - on different planes
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by dgparent
Thanks - the flights will all have different numbers as the flights from my home airport are all US Airways Express and the flights from Clt are all normal US Airways flights - on different planes
That is a good thing for those who gain status via segments!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
Ok I'm officially confused. Guess I have read so many threads I am having to ask a question. Flying next Friday DFW-CLT-LHR-JNB. Was about the only decent dollar amount/booking choice at the time I purchased it. AA ticket, B fare bucket and the CLT-LHR leg is US Airways.

Since it is US Air metal how am I going to upgrade to C? Told I cant use SWU due to US plane (didn't know that when I booked it) nor can i do same day flight change because routing can't be changed. Other than asking or begging the agents at DFW to change me to flight 78 or 80 next Friday, what do I do?

Thank you
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by dfwrob
Ok I'm officially confused. Guess I have read so many threads I am having to ask a question. Flying next Friday DFW-CLT-LHR-JNB. Was about the only decent dollar amount/booking choice at the time I purchased it. AA ticket, B fare bucket and the CLT-LHR leg is US Airways.

Since it is US Air metal how am I going to upgrade to C? Told I cant use SWU due to US plane (didn't know that when I booked it) nor can i do same day flight change because routing can't be changed. Other than asking or begging the agents at DFW to change me to flight 78 or 80 next Friday, what do I do?

Thank you
The crux isn't who issued the ticket, but whether that US operated flight is booked as US or as the AA codeshare.

According to aa.com, you CAN use a SWU on a US flight (excluding AA code shares on US or vice versa):

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...emwideupgrades

On US Airways flights:
  • Log in to your AAdvantage account and make sure you have systemwide upgrades available
  • Call US Airways Reservations to check availability and to confirm your upgrade (800-428-4322)
  • Waitlisting isn’t available, so if an upgrade isn’t available, check back with US Airways Reservations to see if one opens up
If your B fare offers changes without fee, you could try to change your flight. There's no way to know your SWU will be accepted (availability) or that if it isn't you'll not end up in a worse seat than you have.

Good luck.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 27, 2015 at 9:37 pm
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
The crux isn't who issued the ticket, but whether that US operated flight is booked as US or as the AA codeshare.

According to aa.com, you CAN use a SWU on a US flight (excluding AA code shares on US or vice versa):

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...emwideupgrades

If your B fare offers changes without fee, you could try to change your flight. There's no way to know your SWU will be accepted (availability) or that if it isn't you'll not end up in a worse seat than you have.

Good luck.

Thanks JDiver. Just got off the phone with US, figured it was worth a try. Unfortunately it's a AA ticket and the US flight is a codeshare. Lesson learned.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by dfwrob
Thanks JDiver. Just got off the phone with US, figured it was worth a try. Unfortunately it's a AA ticket and the US flight is a codeshare. Lesson learned.
No worries, and sorry.

At least we won't have to worry about that in eight weeks. ^
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
Anything less then EXP means close to nothing on AA, period. OK, you get 100% miles bonus with Plat, which is nice. But in terms of upgrades - you NOT gonna get anything meaningful if you are not EXP.

This was the case for ages on AA and it will become even more accentuated with US CP being comped to AA EXP now.

To me it makes sense totally. You want unlimited domestic upgrades and 8 international ones - make it to EXP. You will enjoy great success rate in addition.

Anything less is just an opportunity for sad people to attach a shiny tag to they backpack

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
I hit PLT on short haul segments every year and rarely miss an upgrade. This new twist in the plot means I continue to accrue stickers but only have to use them on longer flights, while my short intrastate hops get free upgrades. AA was good to me as a PLT before, and it just got much better.
Looking back on this post from last year and I have to say I was wrong. I cleared for upgrade on only maybe half of my short haul segments in 2015 because I generally book at the last minute and whereas before, most PLTs didn't want to burn a 500 mile upgrade on a 40 minute flight, now that they're auto-upgraded based on when they made the reservation (plus all the EXPs) I fell to the bottom of the list.

So in retrospect the free upgrade for PLT on short haul flights actually turned out to be a negative for me.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
So in retrospect the free upgrade for PLT on short haul flights actually turned out to be a negative for me.
No offense, but did you really not see that coming?

That is why many of us are quite passionate about maintaining the "sticker system" and not following the others to "complimentary" upgrades for all elites.

For example, my wife and I don't request upgrades for many domestics flights; we only do for certain flights, of specific lengths and/or times of day. That leaves some space for others who might actually want it on those flights. When you just "auto add" everyone to the upgrade list, well you just create really long upgrade lists.

It's utterly perplexing that it's difficult for so many on FT to grasp this dynamic, but alas, I guess the allure of "free" remains powerful, even in the face of evidence.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.