Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Arrow HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

By all accounts, "good news"-- very little change (relatively speaking) "AAdvantage stays AAdvantage" "no radical change" etc., etc.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 29, 2014 at 8:29 pm Reason: restore original post title
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Dear members,

This is momentous change, with a lot of reaction and discussion as well as significant changes for many of us.

After moderator discussion, we decided to split the issue into two threads:

This one, to post the announced changes, how they'll impact and affect our flying plans, and

the discussion / reaction thread:

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

We've had to do this with burgeoning threads in other fora, and it has generally worked well - allowing members to pore through one thread with the facts and details (lower signal to noise ratio), whilst allowing full voice to reactions, feelings, etc.

Thank you for your understanding and patience, and best wishes to each and every one as we learn the "tips and tricks" FlyerTalk is good ad gleaning and sharing and adapt to the coming AAndvantage program.

JDiver
For the AA fora moderation team

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 18, 2016 at 12:47 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Cautiously optimistic here. Let's hope it's good news.

However, if there is something I've learned about this management team since the HP/US merger, it's that they do listen to feedback. They don't seem to do enough up front to gauge reactions before implementing a change, but as demonstrated by the food changes this fall, it may not be a full accommodation/retreat, but they do react to loud negative feedback they cause. So if there is significant bad news, make it known ...
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
looks like i was off by a week with my "prediction." My source tells me they had to fine tune some details, thats why they postponed the announcement. But yes, don't expect any radical changes (as i stated publicly multiple times before)
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by JonNYC
By all accounts, "good news"-- very little change (relatively speaking) "AAdvantage stays AAdvantage" "no radical change" etc., etc.
One can only hope for very little change in the program, and also for very little change in the award redemption rates. AAdvantage has been gutted enough this year (mostly in April).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Cool

Originally Posted by JonNYC
(AA/US) FF program integration to be announced tomorrow (10/28). By all accounts, "good news"-- very little change (relatively speaking) "AAdvantage stays AAdvantage" "no radical change" etc., etc.
This should be interesting!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Tick tock...

Bigger question is how long will this new AAdvantage (with "no radical changes") last before Dougie shows his true colors.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:13 am

Perhaps we'll hear more about revised credit card offerings tomorrow, too?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Tick tock...

Bigger question is how long will this new AAdvantage (with "no radical changes") last before Dougie shows his true colors.
His true colors would have to be new colors in this case, because he has never made any truly radical changes to any frequent flyer programs that I can remember. Even when he took over US, I can't remember any huge devaluations, just a couple of aspects of the HP program folded in (like the 75K tier). Service offerings and product quality -- yes, but frequent flyer program -- no.

Whatever the future brings (2016+), I expect to be more of a response to what other airlines are doing than Parker's joy of cutting something.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:01 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
FF program integration to be announced tomorrow (10/28)

Given the very public disdain of the DL and UA programs (including announced 2015 changes), AA would be foolish to do anything too radical YET. They'll keep the combined loyal base happy (well, relatively speaking), and likely poach a good handful of unhappy flyers at the others.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Tick tock...

My prediction is that he'll see how things are working for a year. If he thinks keeping it the same is a competitive advantage, then likely no major changes. If he thinks he can get away with a devaluation (e.g., better than DL and UA, but not much better), he'll devalue.

There are going to be some notable changes for either AA or US once they integrate - there are different numbers of tiers and different costs for non-top tier upgrades, if nothing else.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
It's out...
http://www.aa.com/arriving/ponLoyPro-03.html
Suspended
Original Poster

Arrow

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AA...2015/index.jsp

On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120 for the 2016 membership year.

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Starwood Platinum 50 Nights
It's up?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/A...2015/index.jsp

Right now
- Executive Platinum members now enjoy a complimentary snack and drink in the Main Cabin on US Airways

January 2015
- Move to 120 segments to qualify for Executive Platinum status for the 2016 membership year
- Complimentary confirmed flight changes for Executive Platinum members flying on American
- Increased class of service bonus for Business Class tickets from 25% to 50%

Second quarter of 2015 (when programs are combined)
- Enjoy complimentary upgrades on flights 500 miles or less on flights marketed and operated by American
- Complimentary upgrades will be auto-requested on flights marketed and operated by American and US Airways
- Complimentary upgrades on flights marketed and operated by US Airways before day of departure
- Redeem miles for upgrades on flights marketed and operated by US Airways
- Use systemwide upgrades on flights marketed and operated by US Airways
- Redeem miles for AAnytime awards on flights marketed and operated by US Airways

Edit: It's...it's beautiful...

Last edited by A5RoadDogg; Oct 28, 2014 at 6:32 am Reason: It's beautiful!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
It looks like they're keeping the "sticker" upgrades, which I think it great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.