Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by scholity
This has happened to me three times now in the last week so I've basically given up and taken it as a sign that the old CP desk number is being routed (mistakinly) somewhere other than the AA EXP desk. Simply call the AA EXP desk directly and you'll get right through. Sent an email to Cust Svc but don't expect anything to be done soon about it.
I called the old US CP line and apparently got dropped in the back of the queue late night on a weeknight with no major weather affecting hubs - I hung up after 45 minutes of hold time. Never, even in hurricanes and blizzards, had I waited more than 5 minutes on the CP line. Googled then called the main EXP number, since we don't have EXP cards yet and I didn't see contact numbers on aa.com, waited 15 minutes this time for an EXP agent, who transferred me over to the US CP desk since I needed to fiddle with US booked and operated flights. The US agent said she'd file a bug report, but who knows if it'll get fixed.

I plan to just call the EXP number going forward, which is now properly recognizing my mobile phone after I switched it from "home" to "mobile" in my aa.com profile, but the hold times for the main EXP line when it has recognized my mobile number are surprising - I've yet to get a human on the EXP line in under 10 minutes in five attempts on different days. Is this what our legacy AA EXPs have been seeing in terms of hold times, or have I just been unlucky?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by phlwookie
So I have a SFO-DFW-TPA routing later this week. DFW-TPA cleared at T-100, SFO-DFW shows F5 A0 P0 Y7. Is it common that, assuming remaining F doesn't sell, this would autoclear? Or is it generally more common to play the gate dance ... this is in part a "how long should I stay in a lounge" question at SFO that morning as well. If it's likely I need to be at the gate to ensure I hear my name called so they don't pass over me, I will show up at the gate earlier. Any reason to, or not to, check in online at T-24 in terms of affecting upgrade chances?
AA could still clear some of those seats between now and the 4 hour mark though there seems to be a tendency to past year or so to hold more seats until the last minute.

When you check in will have no impact on your upgrade chances.

Starting four hours before the flight departs, you can view the upgrade list in the AA phone app. Note that the list will only include those passengers that have checked in, so your position on the list could drop as others check in. But as the flight gets closer to departure time, this will give you an idea of your chances of clearing.

IME, AA gate agents start working a flight 60 minutes before departure with boarding starting 30-35 minutes before departure. Clearing the F upgrades seems to be one of the last things they do, so I don't think you would need to be at the gate any earlier than 45 minutes prior to departure.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by ty97
AA could still clear some of those seats between now and the 4 hour mark though there seems to be a tendency to past year or so to hold more seats until the last minute.

When you check in will have no impact on your upgrade chances.

Starting four hours before the flight departs, you can view the upgrade list in the AA phone app. Note that the list will only include those passengers that have checked in, so your position on the list could drop as others check in. But as the flight gets closer to departure time, this will give you an idea of your chances of clearing.

IME, AA gate agents start working a flight 60 minutes before departure with boarding starting 30-35 minutes before departure. Clearing the F upgrades seems to be one of the last things they do, so I don't think you would need to be at the gate any earlier than 45 minutes prior to departure.
Very good, thanks for the intel. I suspect that I'll likely board and take my exit seat on the 321B, then, and hope someone comes and gets me if I don't clear.

Glad to hear check in time doesn't affect chances. Things such as fare paid and EQMs in the past year or so (which US considered in upgrade list prioritization at least, does AA?) make more sense.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by phlwookie
Glad to hear check in time doesn't affect chances. Things such as fare paid and EQMs in the past year or so (which US considered in upgrade list prioritization at least, does AA?) make more sense.
AA prioritizes by time of request within tier.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Segments
AA prioritizes by time of request within tier.
So in that case, the now auto-requested domestic EXP upgrades would be prioritized by time of ticketing then?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM MM, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by psychoandy
For further data points, the "million mile" balance reported from USDM -> AAdvantage only included the past 3 years, US metal only, but did include the 500 mile minimums from when I was USDM silver/gold.

The problem that I am having is that my lifetime mileage isn't reflecting correctly. I have been a US member predating the merger with HP and back then didn't' really do "flyertalk" stuff like bonuses/CC signups/etc, nor did I fly a tremendous amount of UA, so I assume 80% of my miles were BIS on US/HP. I have an email from 2006 where I burned 25k miles for an award, and then an email in 2009 where my account went inactive for 18 months, and I forfeited ~5,000 miles. I recredited miles later in 2009 so the original account didn't close, but these prior miles are not counting towards the new million miler status.

I plan on emailing the AAdvantage desk but any luck crediting old US miles from before 2012? Could it be that once my account went inactive, my historical balance got wiped out? ~25-30k miles for million miler isn't that big deal in the grand scheme of things but still...
I have a very similar problem and history with way more miles in play. As far as I can tell I had about 3 years of HP travel at ~100,000-120,000 miles/year (PHX or PHX-LAS to JFK/IAD/PHL pretty much every week, sometimes twice/week for those years). I then move to FL for a few years and only flew DL and had my account go dormant. It was never deleted though. If you have any luck I would love to follow the same path. For me it would put me up over 500,000 miles and probably get me to MM status on AA within the next 3-4 years due to heavy international travel that I will be doing as part of the project I am on.

Was it clear to anyone else that this would happen?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Cir, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ksdlflyer
I have a very similar problem and history with way more miles in play. As far as I can tell I had about 3 years of HP travel at ~100,000-120,000 miles/year (PHX or PHX-LAS to JFK/IAD/PHL pretty much every week, sometimes twice/week for those years). I then move to FL for a few years and only flew DL and had my account go dormant. It was never deleted though. If you have any luck I would love to follow the same path. For me it would put me up over 500,000 miles and probably get me to MM status on AA within the next 3-4 years due to heavy international travel that I will be doing as part of the project I am on.

Was it clear to anyone else that this would happen?
I seem to have lost about 2/3 of my US miles. Unfortunately, I don't have records to prove it so I guess they are just gone. Oh well, welcome to the NEW American!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by frambusch
I seem to have lost about 2/3 of my US miles. Unfortunately, I don't have records to prove it so I guess they are just gone. Oh well, welcome to the NEW American!
Why is your account history not viewable on usairways.com? Have you spoken to them?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
I'm waiting for mine also. I'm guessing it might take a bit longer than normal because they have to print cards for all the former US elites who didn't have the equivalent status on AA. I did notice that you can download it via the mobile app (My Account - View AAdvantage Card).
Would also love to know when these are coming. I'm traveling internationally in about three weeks and want to make sure there's smooth access to oneworld lounges - I know I've had trouble in the past when I only had a printed copy of my card showing my Star Alliance Gold status, back when US was in Star...so would love to get the actual card.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by ty97
Since you are EXP:
- The US Airways marketed and operated flights will start upgrading as early as 4 days prior.
- The American marketed and operated flight will start upgrading as early as 100 hours prior.
- Upgrade on the codeshare flight flight will only be available during the check-in window.

Note that these are the earliest times that the upgrade may process. The upgrade could process at any time after the beginning of that window and may not happen exactly at the 4-day/100 hour mark.

Once the reservation systems are merged (last 2015 perhaps?) this will all be aligned into one upgrade scheme and we won't have to deal with these three different sets of confusing upgrade rules.
Okay, flights to HNL with spouse -- I am Exec Plat, she is Plat. Bought from US and most segments are US. Already have F in these covered. One leg is LAX-HNL on AA metal. I assume that that is codeshare, which means I could get upgraded at check-in ... ? Twice had good-luck solo last summer with check-in HNL upgrades, so I am willing to roll the dice there. Would/could my wife be upgraded with me (on same PNR)? Or should I split PNRs (and give her the upgrade if one comes across at check-in for me [assuming I could get one])?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:08 pm

Can't seem to find an appropriate thread for this (perhaps we could have a pinned "Problems" thread for discussions?):

Long time AAdvantage member. Also had a DM account with little activity.

In February applied for the Barclay US card for 50k bonus. US Air was unable to locate my old DM account number at the time and indicated it had been deleted due to inactivity.

After card approval I received a new DM number.
The next day I received a confirmation email of my OLD DM number.

I have met the spend for the 50k bonus but have not yet seen the bonus post. Cust service on the (now Red) card confirmed I would receive the bonus. However, spend was met a month ago and nothing so far (not even points for the money spent).

Early April I received two different emails from AAdvantage with new AAdvantage numbers. I now have THREE. I'm reluctant to begin merging my AAdvantage numbers via AA prior to the Barclaycard/Red Aviator bonus posting as I don't know which account it will target. Anyone have similar issues and/or a recommended course of action?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by psychoandy
...Could it be that once my account went inactive, my historical balance got wiped out?
That's definitely what happened in terms of for the purpose of bringing over MM totals.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
Would also love to know when these are coming. I'm traveling internationally in about three weeks and want to make sure there's smooth access to oneworld lounges - I know I've had trouble in the past when I only had a printed copy of my card showing my Star Alliance Gold status, back when US was in Star...so would love to get the actual card.
Your boarding pass should show your oneworld status. It's worked for me, but YMMV. I think it's likely the cards will arrive before your trip, but that's pure speculation on my part.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
*deleted* figured it out...

Go Gators

Last edited by GNVGator; Apr 15, 2015 at 1:08 pm
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014

I got a useless email from AAdvantage today basically restating my US balance from the past 3 years as if that were an absolute fact...wondering how to escalate this, as I doubt anyone on the AAdvantage desk would have any idea on how to find legacy US/HP historical miles.

Anyone else have any issues with US/HP lifetime miles not transferring to AA correctly?

Edit: just saw JonNYCs comment. Are we SOL or is there any recourse? 30k isn't a big deal but if I had 300k not count for million miler I'd be pissed. And given that both pmUS and AA had million miler programs I am hoping they wouldn't just expire them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.