Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: Everyone!
Any guesses on when we can start redeeming from our combined balances - May 28? (Got an award on hold hoping so that expires May 30)...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
Any guesses on when we can start redeeming from our combined balances - May 28? (Got an award on hold hoping so that expires May 30)...
First, I think you mean March 28th. If you are holding a US DM award, they've said that unless it's ticketed by 11:59CDT tonight, the hold goes away. If you have a Hold on the AA side, I imagine, you should be able to ticket it as soon as you get the e-mail confirmation they've said you'll received once the migration is complete. For some, that may be the 28th, for others - it can go into April. But if your account is migrated, which includes the balance carryover, you should be able to take advantage of that combined balance and book a reservation.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
Mine doesn't even show the section discussing SWUs. I'm guessing it will show in the next 24-48 hours.
It has been mentioned that SWUs get awarded after a systems sweep - my guess is that hasn't happened yet. So, be patient - it will.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
Phoenixtinct is likely correct. If the hold is on the AA side, I'd call before it expires and ask that the hold be extended because the accounts migration yadda yadda. They have been known to extend a hold another five days if there's good reason; if you get noncooperation, hang up and call again.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
Originally Posted by Organgrinder
My AA status was just updated to Executive Platinum but my miles have not come over yet (and SWUs and stickers haven't been posted).
Same here, though my AA mileage balance is the same as it was before. EQMs and RDMs haven't made their way over yet, just status.

Are SWUs visible on aa.com somewhere, or do you have to call?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rafatmit
Same here, though my AA mileage balance is the same as it was before. EQMs and RDMs haven't made their way over yet, just status.

SWUs are viewable under My Account and View My Upgrades. My account doesn't have the section or SWUs yet, but I expect it in the next few days. Based on the dates provided, I would expect they would be there by 3/28.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by rafatmit

Long time ago, though after the paper VIPOW days, you had to call. Those VIPs lasted one year from issuance.

IT got right on it... and on it, and on it. It took months beyond what they should have, and the sop was the VIPs, now SWUs, last from time of issuance through the following status year. Darn good trade off! ^

But during the migration, we'll probably be showing big goose eggs in our accounts for a few days.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
It has been mentioned that SWUs get awarded after a systems sweep - my guess is that hasn't happened yet. So, be patient - it will.
In the view my upgrades section, I see a 500 mile upgrade summary showing a count of zero, but didnt show a SWU count, thats the reason for the question.

I will wait
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:47 pm

My USAir miles now show on AA but my million miler miles have not gone up at all. Is this expected?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
SWUs are viewable under My Account and View My Upgrades. My account doesn't have the section or SWUs yet, but I expect it in the next few days. Based on the dates provided, I would expect they would be there by 3/28.
D'oh. There's A space on all my Beijing mistake-fare tickets that I want to grab that I hope doesn't disappear before I get my SWUs.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AArlington
My USAir miles now show on AA but my million miler miles have not gone up at all. Is this expected?
Give it some time, it's not even the 28th yet.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Held award reservation - would they be affected on the migration?

Currently holding a reservation that must ticket on May 29 morning (Origin NRT). I hope to see better domestic flights to get us home hence not ticket it yet.

Does anyone know AA would or would not suspend issuance award tickets during the migration?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:29 pm

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. When US miles are absorbed into the AA program, do we know if they're going to be recalculated AA-style (so AA-type EQMs and EQPs), or will the US EQMs just transfer over directly?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: WFBF
Allegedly PQM will transfer to EQM 1:1, rather than trying to parse out which PQM were actual mileage and which were bonus.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Allegedly PQM will transfer to EQM 1:1, rather than trying to parse out which PQM were actual mileage and which were bonus.
Huh. And are they also going to calculate EQPs? That would be the best of both worlds....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.