Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by socalduck
The lack of any indication that they will retrofit US metal with MCE makes me nervous that if for some reason I do end up in the back at some point, it will be a Spirit-like experience (except for my free drink and snack item, of course.)
AA/US already announced MCE on the US fleet; though as of yet no planes have been retrofitted.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by ashill
ubernostrum really isn't understanding this correctly. Not only are stickers immaterial for CPs/EXPs, but MCI-CLT-BDL requires 4 stickers to upgrade each way (2 for each segment -- they're both between 500 and 1000 miles) for golds and platinums. You earn 4 stickers for each 10,000 miles flown, so you need to fly 10k miles to upgrade that route once, not 40k.
As noted, I'm not going to be CP/EXP next year. Hence, y'know, kinda cranky about the fact that "EXP or you're worthless trash" is the new norm.

Originally Posted by ashill
If you route through ORD, you will need only 2 stickers: none for MCI-ORD (403 miles) and 2 for ORD-BDL. If you route through DFW, you'll need three stickers (none for MCI-DFW; 3 for DFW-BDL). Also three stickers for MCI-PHL (1038 miles*)-BDL.
Or, y'know, as a US Plat I could've had it for zero stickers, and taking connections in ORD to reduce the sticker cost isn't something that's appealing to me, y'know? As both a US Plat and a US CP, I've only had MCI-CLT or CLT-MCI fail to clear once. CLT-BDL/BDL-CLT is more elite-heavy but still a reasonable chance at US Plat.

Once again: spinning "now you have to carefully plan out when you want to be upgraded because you're limited in order to provide Premium™ flying" as an improvement over what I have had in the past as a US Plat and would have had in 2015 as a US Plat is flat nonsense. This is a hard downgrade for US Plats, period.

And as I said in one of the threads in the pmUS forum, the logical result of this is going to be empty seats going out in F, because pmUS had larger F cabins than pmAA. Which in turn is going to lead to a wonderful "rationalization" of further slashing F, and I wouldn't be surprised if they take the opportunity to cut more rows of MCE and make more elites start paying for MCE while they're at it.

So let's check back in 12-18 months and see if you still think this was a great day to be an AA frequent flyer, or if it was just the start of a bunch of "changes you'll love" masquerading as keeping the allegedly-beloved DisAAdvantage program as-is.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Every 10K miles flow your account goes up by 10 stickers. So if you are platinum (e.g.) and fly 70K miles next year you will have 28 stickers (which don't expire) in your account.
Originally Posted by PWMTrav

It's 4 stickers per 10k miles flown, right? So 8 stickers if you fly 25k? 8 stickers isn't enough for a BOS-west coast upgrade (RT), so I'd be buying stickers for upgrades that still don't have a great chance to clear.

Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
So if I were PLT by US trial, I would lose it in March because I don't have enough PQM?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by ubernostrum

And as I said in one of the threads in the pmUS forum, the logical result of this is going to be empty seats going out in F, because pmUS had larger F cabins than pmAA. Which in turn is going to lead to a wonderful "rationalization" of further slashing F, and I wouldn't be surprised if they take the opportunity to cut more rows of MCE and make more elites start paying for MCE while they're at it.
PMAA has larger/equal size F cabins in every case except the A319s.

And F cabins aren't going to go out empty because people don't mind spending $60-$150 to upgrade a flight. I can't remember the last time I saw an empty F seat. Heck, once I didn't even clear on LAX-LAS.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by tegelad
Every 10K miles flow your account goes up by 10 stickers. So if you are platinum (e.g.) and fly 70K miles next year you will have 28 stickers (which don't expire) in your account.
I'm Silver, so it's not really appealing that I can't even have a shot at upgrading on a transcon without buying more stickers. You might think that as a Silver, that wasn't happening anyway, but since most of my travel is leisure and during leisure hours, it does happen. In the past 24 months, I've cleared PHL-SAN, PHL-LAS and PHL-PHX (Christmas redeye) more than once. Those routes are all > 4000 miles RT, so I wouldn't even earn enough to try to upgrade.

And at that point, these stickers are just to request the upgrade. I'm still in line behind everyone else. It's great that I'll continue to clear PWM-PHL/DCA for free, but I was getting that already, along with PWM-CLT all but once in the past year. And it's not like the short flights are cheap or anything.

Like I said, I think this is great for Chairmans/EXP, and also a good move from the perspective of a shareholder. But it sucks as a bottom tier elite, and that's an area where US was great.

Even after all of that, I'd still be somewhat happy if they pretended the mileage upgrade copays for elites never happened on US. Instead of stickers, you could use your RDMs to confirm upgrades if the space was available, and that was a nice benefit for all elites. Now the copay might as well be the fare difference between Y and F.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
All I can say is: ^^^^^^^^^^^^

THANK YOU, Suzanne, Doug, and the entire team at AA. I will remain a loyal AA flyer, and will make the push to qualify for EXP based on this announcement.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by morrisunc
S
How are they calculating the us million miles? Are they going to "gross up" to aa standards the same way ua/co did?
Are you asking if they are going to go back through history and credit your US MM account for minimum segments, credit card spend, and other MM earning models that AA may (or may not have, I have no idea) used over the last 20 years+?

If so, no.

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Oh come on ... I know you would love to spend a few Saturday's flying AUS-DFW-IAH-DFW-TXK-DFW-AUS ... it is good ole' fun Far better then the fun time I had trying to make earlier this year to happen for grin's and giggles ...

IND-ORD-EVV-ORD-FWA-ORD-IND

+-ADT

Originally Posted by onesocalkid
I already suffer from serious butt hurt and now I have to give them another 20 segments for EXP?

I am pleased that most of the benefits have not changed, but I flew 130 segments last year(less than 85,000 EQM) and am projecting 116 segments (97,000 EQM but that included an Asia trip that won't happen in 2015) this year and I would not qualify.

I have 104 segments with 68,859 planned for 2015 (sigh).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
So I have 1.8M lifetime in US and 500K in AA. Q2 next year, does this mean I gain Lifetime Platinum for AA, but still only Lifetime Silver on US until the full merger at the end of the year?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tegelad
I think you meant 10k miles gets you 4 stickers.

This begs a question of how many stickers will be deposited in US accounts ab initio? How many for CPs that are dropping down?

As for the comments about there being so many more AA elites per flight than US, how can you know that? It has been stated many times that that number is confidential business intelligence that US, AA, and other airlines are not intent on sharing.

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Or, y'know, as a US Plat I could've had it for zero stickers
Except that with a much larger airline with a much larger frequent flyer base, I don't think that was going to be the case post-merger anyway, at least not nearly as often.

taking connections in ORD to reduce the sticker cost isn't something that's appealing to me, y'know?
I hear that; I was simply offering alternatives that I thought might be helpful both in maximizing upgrade chances and in understanding the sticker system. You're free to do with those suggestions as you please.

And as I said in one of the threads in the pmUS forum, the logical result of this is going to be empty seats going out in F, because pmUS had larger F cabins than pmAA.
As MAH pointed out, your last clause is simply untrue; the reverse is true. AA has perfectly good revenue management; if they don't think they can sell a seat in F but are sold out in Y, they'll oversell Y and, if there are no upgrade requests, op-up to F to clear out Y. But my (less-informed-than-MAH or many others here) impression is that that almost never happens.

AA elites on this forum are overwhelmingly in support of the sticker system, I think; I suggest giving it a chance before jumping ship. My experience is that it actually works pretty well. (Full disclosure: I have a fair number of non-upgradable segments in the mix -- long haul, AS-operated, and 50 seat RJ flights; those flights earn miles toward stickers but aren't eligible to earn stickers. If you're flying primarily on upgradable domestic flights, I could certainly see a different view. I am also just coming back into the AA fold after three years based in SYD as a Delta elite.)
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And at that point, these stickers are just to request the upgrade. I'm still in line behind everyone else. It's great that I'll continue to clear PWM-PHL/DCA for free, but I was getting that already, along with PWM-CLT all but once in the past year. And it's not like the short flights are cheap or anything.
You don't have to buy stickers to request an upgrade. Although when I was Gold I made sure I always had 6 or so in the bank.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I'm Silver, so it's not really appealing that I can't even have a shot at upgrading on a transcon without buying more stickers. You might think that as a Silver, that wasn't happening anyway, but since most of my travel is leisure and during leisure hours, it does happen. In the past 24 months, I've cleared PHL-SAN, PHL-LAS and PHL-PHX (Christmas redeye) more than once. Those routes are all > 4000 miles RT, so I wouldn't even earn enough to try to upgrade.

Like I said, I think this is great for Chairmans/EXP, and also a good move from the perspective of a shareholder. But it sucks as a bottom tier elite, and that's an area where US was great.
You do not need to have or to buy the stickers to request the upgrade. You can buy them as late as kiosk check-in.

AA has always monetized its premium cabins, and the new leaders (the former US management) have apparently decided to continue with that approach. It's not hard to understand why. Yes, it's a downgrade for pmUS lower-tier elites, but it may be worthwhile for them trying to stretch to EXP. The 8 SWU benefit is an amazing benefit. Good for international J to F upgrades, including double-long-haul itineraries like GRU-MIA-LHR.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by dml105
As for the comments about there being so many more AA elites per flight than US, how can you know that? It has been stated many times that that number is confidential business intelligence that US, AA, and other airlines are not intent on sharing.
It's a guess, but one that I think is pretty safe based on experience with other larger airlines (UA and DL), judging by upgrade and priority boarding queues. (Yes, credit cards have something to do with that.) There are more AA passengers and more AAdvantage members. Of course, the larger number of flights to distribute the elites over mitigates the number of elites per flight, but the flyers who used to fly 50k on US and 50k on AA will now be 100k AA elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.