Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Originally Posted by cova
So where do you go? All other FF programs are revenue based for miles earned.
My guess is Spirit because after a few US F experiences this year it seems similar in the product and clientele.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by abracadaver
Thanks. I guess my question is - how likely is it that I'll run out of "stickers"? How many do I start out with? If I "request an upgrade" - that means I'm burning these "stickers" right? Once I'm out of stickers, I'll no longer see the "Request Upgrade" box?
You earn them as you fly (4 for every 10k miles flown). And you can always buy them at 30 bucks a pop. Money well spent IMO...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
IMO as a prior USGM, I think this is best. I only really got upgraded on domestic widebody flights (like CLT-MCO) on Saturdays, or on a random BOS-PHL. Forget any midcon length flight or longer, let alone BOS-PHX or CLT-PHX/LAX. Not to mention that it seemed like CP/plat/gold upgrades would fill the flights so last minute rev F couldn't even purchase a seat if they wanted to. Assuming more positive change to US domestic F from essentially just a bigger seat with free booze, to actual meal service and real/perceived AA quality, filling up F seats that noone bought at 4/7 day windows with CPs and Plats just doesn't work.

Current US elites can QQ all they want but i mean really, what alternatives are there? UA with it's Jeff McMuffin, PQDs, TODs, and rev based model? DL would be a good alternative but still with PQD...and skypesos.

Would be nice if 100 segment or 75k milers could be accomodated, like maybe bonus RDM, stickers, or even eVIPs.

Although i'm not sure of what to make of this for flights like BOS-CLT...I don't think this is an exception market, and I wouldn't waste stickers for a snack basket. Given the choice with stickers i'd rather route thru ORD or DFW.

Can any AA'ers point me in the right direction on what these "Upgrade Stickers" mean? I'm currently Chairman's on US for 2014. I'll only be qualifying for US-Gold/AA-Platinum next year, however. I'm just trying to figure out what this means for me. If I fly every week or bi-weekly - what do I have to do to get upgraded? It's not automatic anymore?

Thanks.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post11822043

learn it, live it, love it. US elites should definitely check out the AA forum.

Last edited by psychoandy; Oct 28, 2014 at 10:55 am
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
My guess is Spirit because after a few US F experiences this year it seems similar in the product and clientele.
As far as the hard product goes I'd actually compare Spirit (or RyanAir) to BA CE

Seriously though, I tend to disagree based on my few F experiences on US. And granted Envoy is not quite AA 773 J let alone F... as always YMMV.

Last edited by scnzzz; Oct 28, 2014 at 11:18 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I believe that most AA flights under 500 miles are RJ's, usually without 1st class. Does US have many flights with 1st class, but less than 500 miles? I can't think of many.
US has many flights with 1st class under 500 miles. I fly almost entirely under 500 mile flights and most of them have FC. I usually go to BUF or ROC from PWM and fly almost exclusively on EMB 170/175's connecting in PHL or DCA.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by dml105
No, it really is a downgrade. They used to be free, now they're $30/500 miles/person (first 28 free, if you're a US-platinum). So whereas before, when I wanted to fly say PHL-SAN up front, all I had to do was buy the coach ticket (because that was a very gettable upgrade), and I could get the upgrade every time I flew. Now, that round trip is going to use up 10 of my upgrades. So, three trips in, and they're all gone. So, how can it be considered anything other than a downgrade in benefits when I used to be able to get upgrades on as many PHL-SAN trips as I wanted, but now I'm limited to 3 unless I pay? And since the roundtrip requires 10 of those stickers, the price just went up $300.
I think the reason that some of us think it's not a downgrade is because in practice AA elites don't get upgraded 100% of the time, even at the EXP level and especially on transcons, so scarcity of upgrades is an important consideration in thinking about the design of the program. I suspect that you'll find as the programs merge this will likely change on historically US flights too, but of course this assumption makes a big difference as to how you approach the problem.

What gets me is that I have no idea why people think they the upgrade THEY really cared about would be any different from the upgrade that everyone else really cared about. Are you going to be saving your upgrades for PHL-ORF or for PHL-SAN? Or literally any short-haul over literally any red-eye?
While you're right that there's situations where everyone will value the upgrade similarly, there's plenty of situations where one person will value the upgrade more than others. For example, if I'm traveling with a companion, I'm going to care about an upgrade on a short or medium haul flight way more than if I'm flying alone; similarly, if I'm at the start or end of a big day of important meetings, I'll be less tolerant of even a short flight in coach. The use of stickers allows scarce upgrades to be allocated where there's some more desire in some situations.

I get that the former AA fliers on here are really happy that there will be almost no changes made to the system you know. But this board would be a lot more harmonious a place if people would just take a minute to realize just how the US flier feels about these changes. Instead of constantly trying to tell us that our inferior product just got better when there is a very clear, mathematically provable devaluation.
Similarly, I don't think you should just dismiss out of hand the reasons why AA fliers are explaining why they prefer, e.g. stickers vs. upgrades. We can do math too and understand that, all things being equal, free is better than paid. So the fact that at least some people are saying that they prefer the system where you sometimes have to pay should tell you that there's more to the story than just being forced to pay for something that used to be free.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I don't see why a lot of folks are complaining. Does anyone thing that free upgrades for all was really going to continue? Really?

If you want the F class experience, you can pay the minimal fee needed to upgrade. Last AA upgrade for me was DCA-ORD which provided a nice breakfast and a drinky? Worth $60. For me it was. YMMV.

Be glad that they're not going to PQDs like United. Then, lots of folks here would have plenty to b!tch about!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
I don't get that comment at all. While I assume you were intentionally exaggerating your experiences in US first vs Spirit coach, it still seems like a bit of a stretch.

I have flown UA/US/AA/DL in F for a while now. They are all very very similar.

I think last year's US F product was very similar to the pre-US AA. (I have not flow US much this year.)

As for the 'clientele' comment, it is just silly to imply that people in US First are somehow a lesser class of people than people in AA First.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Thanks. I guess my question is - how likely is it that I'll run out of "stickers"? How many do I start out with? If I "request an upgrade" - that means I'm burning these "stickers" right? Once I'm out of stickers, I'll no longer see the "Request Upgrade" box?
The check box is always there (even for EXPs who must remember to check the box even though the upgrades are complimentary), and the request can be submitted with or without stickers in your account. If the upgrade clears, you can either buy stickers online/ app/ mobile into your account. Or you can wait until check-in and buy the stickers at the kiosk.

If you buy them in-person from an agent (ticketing, club), they cost $5 more than if you buy them online or at a kiosk.

If you do a lot of international or domestic premium or last-minute, full-fare coach travel, you will probably never run out of stickers. Why? Because Y and B fares do not require stickers and international flights are not eligible for stickers. And if you're buying first class, stickers are moot. AND you continue to earn stickers on all travel, whether stickers are redeemed or not.

For flyers who book lots of domestic, discounted coach fares, the stickers allow AA to monetize the first class cabin somewhat.

I understand this is new to many US flyers, but it is really not unreasonable to expect some kind of copayment for consistent upgrades.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by fish114
Yea, I'm a US flyer, so I still don't understand the difference between a EQP and an EQM. I guess I will need to learn...
It's just a 3rd track/counter. You can qualify on segments (EQS), points (EQP) or miles (EQM). Unlike other programs there are no bonus EQM for class of service, but if you fly only high-fare coach, or business and first class fares, you get 1.5 EQP per mile flown and will qualify in 66,667 miles. But if you fly cheap coach tickets you only get 0.5 EQP per mile.

Example:
You've flown 99,000 miles on cheapo fares, you have:
99,000 EQM
49,500 EQP

Now you fly a 700 mile flight in paid F which gets you:
700 EQM
1,050 EQP

Your total becomes:

99,700 EQM
50,550 EQP

As a result you remain Platinum.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by jordyn
Honestly, there's AA EXPs that don't see that sort of upgrade rate (mine is probably not much better than 75% this year), so I think going in that's an unrealistic expectation with the merged program and a bigger base of elites.
You still don't get it.

For a US Platinum this is a devaluation of such an extent that if it had happened to, say, AA Plat instead, this forum would literally be camped outside Doug Parker's house with pitchforks and torches.

And yet because it only affects those "freeloaders" (that's the term I kept seeing used from AA folk) on US, well, who cares?

DisAAdvantage is an utter crock of manure for people who had their status from US, and especially for US Platinums (who aren't exactly a bunch of cheap leisure flyers, y'know? 75k PQM/year, or more as in my case, is some significant cash money in the airline's pockets). Y'all need to understand that, and accept that, and accept that just as AA people consistently sneered at the US program and FFs over the past year, now US folk are going to hate the living guts of anyone who tries to spin this as not so bad.

If this is how it's going to be, the "new AA" is going to need to make some serious concessions in recognition of that devaluation. Since I would, as a US Plat, have had a rather high upgrade rate for free, I would hope new AA showers stickers from heaven on the US Plats to give them at least an equivalent experience in 2015; then I can rationally figure out if it's worth trying to get to EXP for 2016 in order to have actual benefits from the program, or if I'm just going to stop at 50k and then get basic status somewhere else (or even just jump ship entirely -- I've got enough miles stored up to go somewhere nice in J as an empty-the-account mic-drop).

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Absolutely!
Called shot: within two years, AA lifetime benefits get completely revoked and all of you who relied on that have to actually start grinding for miles/segments again. And those of us who had US status will be waiting to spin it as a wonderful change you should embrace, because it'll pay the upkeep cost of those rattling junkheaps and sardine cans AA likes to fly, thus ensuring you have a "premium" -- as in name-brand duct tape holding the armrest on your MD-80 seat -- experience.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
As a US Silver based out of DCA, I think this is a good move. I never get upgraded for free, so having access to the 500-mile stickers is a plus. I also fly under 500 miles quite a bit, so happy I still get a possible free upgrade there. Most of everything else seems to stay the same for me. Overall, pretty happy!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jordyn
...The use of stickers allows scarce upgrades to be allocated where there's some more desire in some situations...
This is a great point. Even as a 1K and Chairman and EXP, I don't get upgraded all the time - probably about 90%. (I am sitting at JFK right now, #1 on the upgrade list with 1 seat left.) And as you mention, sometimes I really want it, while other times 'it would be nice'.

The one group I can see being really not happy are the US Platinum. I was really surprised AA did not keep/add this level.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
Most of my flights under 500 miles are on mainline - DFW- MCI, AUS, SAT, HOU, IAH, OKC, TUL, LIT, CRP...

That being said, there are plenty of RJ flights, too. Some on those routes, but I try my best to avoid them.
That'll get much more problematic as the Mad Dogs retire.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
How much incremental revenue could Doug have generated this quarter by adding a 4th tier at 125k or some other higher level? Would have been a massive rush to qualify!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.