Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Yeah, that's such a high-end "premium" benefit. Here, have a couple more of the worthless trinkets we give to peasants like you!

Continuing to hope Dougie guts the whole thing in 2016. It's long past time for DisAAdvantage to be taken out behind the shed and put out of its misery.
You really want Parker to gut the whole combined AA and US program? That makes customers better off in the main?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by dtremit
There's a specific mention of Special Dividends winding down in early 2015 ("redeem your special dividends by...") so I'm guessing no.

All in all, these changes could be worse, but I think they are making a huge mistake by eliminating the 75k level -- particularly in combination with the increase in the segment requirement for EXP. That is going to hit a very specific, mostly Northeast-based group of flyers very hard -- and given the very strong competition in these markets, it's going to drive a lot of those folks away.
I am one of those NE based segment flyers. And Delta will get a lot more of my business starting next week since there is no more Platinum level to shoot for.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by bkafrick
I agree. Lack of the 4th tier is really disappointing. I've been a ~90 segment flyer for 6 years now. Sometimes hitting 90 is a stretch but I do it. Ill never hit 120.

I'm sure the former US Platinum folks were probably the smallest % of flyers (I seldom saw people with PLT on their status here, vs tons of CHM and/or Gold), so there may not be nearly as many of us to "offend"... but its such a huge jump from 60 segments to 120 segments... and such a huge "chasm" (as arlflyer says) in benefits.

I'm sad.
Also disappointed as that is likely the level I would hit this year. US is known for no soft landings, either.

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
You really want Parker to gut the whole combined AA and US program? That makes customers better off in the main?
Nah, those folks just want the "misery" to get spread around to everyone. I hear DL and UA are seeking new members...
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Its to reel you in and then next year a big smack upside the head I am quite shocked it stayed at 3 tiers. Talk about overinflated elite pools

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
I think my favorite little add-on is dropping the $75 fee for same-day flight changes for EXP. As long as there's a seat, no more standby!
Good for you. Welcome to US. We've had this all along. Now when we fly AA metal we're still stuck with having to go 'standby'. Why not use the US Move Up model for all? I hope they go this route as they combine reservation systems.
To me it's very frustrating not being able to get on an earlier flight assuming seats are available. Going standby sucks.

Heck even have to give kudos to UA on this. They let you make all kinds of changes within 24 hours of your flight right from their app.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by veliger
I am one of those NE based segment flyers. And Delta will get a lot more of my business starting next week since there is no more Platinum level to shoot for.
Good luck with that. DL has the worst frequent flyer program out there. My boyfriend gets upgraded more often as an AA Plat than he did when he was DL Plat.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
On balance, from an AA EXP perspective, they actually improved the program.

No charge SDFC is a great plus.
Looks like SWUs work on both metal.
Negative in that segment qualifying moves from 100 to 120 (and, of course, that is they way I am qualifying this year).

Could have been a LOT worse.

Added - I looked at it some more and it looks like they are combining 2014 activity for 2015 qualifying. Personally, it doesn't matter but I suspect for some (many?) that this is a big deal.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:29 am

Question: Am I missing details on how many stickers US flyers will get? Says we will based on previous flying but nothing beyond that.

Overall as a 50-55k a year flyer this seems good for me except for loss of automatic upgrades. But if it will be based on time of request I will be in luck since I book tickets relatively far in advance. 100% bonus is great too!

Now time to study up on rules of mileage upgrades vs. sticker upgrades, priority of each, etc....
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by BMWMOT

Heck even have to give kudos to UA on this. They let you make all kinds of changes within 24 hours of your flight right from their app.
That's not true. UA only lets you make the change for free within 24 hours if your original booking class is available, which in many cases, it isn't.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by goldengate
Just found this Q&A under the FAQ's.... big sigh of relief (I think):
"Q:If I have an AAdvantage account and a Dividend Miles account, and my combined million mile balances allow me to reach a new million mile threshold, when will I be recognized at the new million mile level? What benefits will I receive?A:
You will be recognized as the new million mile level when the programs combine in the second quarter of 2015. When American combines the programs, all members who have reached 1 million miles will receive AAdvantage Gold status for the life of the program; members who have reached 2 million miles and above will receive AAdvantage Platinum status for the life of the program."

However the below FAQ is a little confusing as it references 3 million miles for lifetime platinum..?
"Q:Will I receive AAdvantage program rewards for prior million mile thresholds that I achieved in Dividend Miles before my million mile balances were combined together? A:
If the combination of your million miler miles allows you to reach a new million mile level when the programs combine, you will receive the benefits of that level. Any benefits you would have received for prior million mile levels will not be awarded. For example, if the combination of a member’s million mile balances allow you to reach 3 million miles, you will receive AAdvantage Platinum status for the life of the program along with 4 systemwide upgrades. Any benefits they would have received for achieving 1 million and 2 million miles in the AAdvantage program will not be awarded"

However the link they point to on Lifetime Status still references 1 and 2 mm marks for gold and platinum, respectively. WHEW.

So many of us stuck by this airline for the terrible years, and it is great to feel rewarded as their fortunes improve. Of course, I still can't find 2 F/J award tix next fall SFO to FCO, but that's another thread, ha ha ha!
As I approach 3MM on AA, more attentive to potential devaluations of existing program. I think the announcement simply reinforces current policy to those fortunate enough to reach 3MM with their combined totals-they will receive platinum status if they dont have already have it..and the current award for reaching 3MM, 4 systemwide upgrades.

From a statistical standpoint that will be an interesting flyer-less than 2MM on AA and more than 1MM on US.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:32 am

Glad to see US CPs get SWUs. Time to book some international travel for 2H 2015!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:34 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

great

Wow, luckily they did not make any unnecessary changes to the Aadvantage program.
Glad to see that minimal impact to Aadvantage members. Most positive point is the comp. upgrade for flights < 500 miles which has always been a PIA for non-EP members (I normally give up my seats to my companion) and retaining the 8 eVIP's.

Hope this will be a reflection of the final combined program end 2015.

Cheers!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by lizs
Question: Am I missing details on how many stickers US flyers will get? Says we will based on previous flying but nothing beyond that.

Overall as a 50-55k a year flyer this seems good for me except for loss of automatic upgrades. But if it will be based on time of request I will be in luck since I book tickets relatively far in advance. 100% bonus is great too!

Now time to study up on rules of mileage upgrades vs. sticker upgrades, priority of each, etc....
I asked the same question a few posts back. Will it be based on 2014 PQM's or YTD 2015?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:36 am

wow, good job american. as an exp this is all fine and dandy with me.

now of course, onto the redemption side, however with the recent changes i'm hoping there isn't anything too imminent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.