Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I do have one question on the <500 miles upgrades for companions.

Example:

Exec Plat and Companion (Gold) are same PNR and request upgrade for <500 mile flight.

Before - Exec Plat and Gold Companion grouped together for Exec Plat priority and 1 sticker if cleared.

Now - if Exec Plat and Gold Companion on same PNR - does the Gold get Exec Plat priority for upgrade and not need a sticker?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
So, essentially only minor changes for AAdvantage members with some pretty big changes for Dividend members. Not unexpected.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Questions about the stickers from a US Gold...

-If a flight is 501 miles, do I need to burn 2 500-mile stickers to get upgraded?
-When looking to redeem stickers, when I book a flight, do I need all the stickers necessary in my account at that point? Or at the point of the upgrade period a few days before the actual flight?
-If you put in an upgrade request with stickers, are the stickers withdrawn from your account immediately? Or after the flight?
-If my upgrade doesn't clear, do they put the stickers back in my account?
-If I have a multi-segment trip, can I request the upgrade for only specific segments? Or does it have to be all of them?
-Yes, you'll need 2 stickers for 501 miles.
-Currently I know you can request upgrade without the stickers but if you don't have any stickers available when the upgrade window comes up you will get passed by.
-They are withdrawn at the time you are granted the upgrade before the flight
-The sticker(s) will not be deducted if you aren't upgraded
-Upgrades and stickers are on a per flight basis
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jculhane
I was under the distince impression that under OneWorld member rules AA was only allowed three frequent flyer membership tiers and not four. Please correct me if this is not the case.

If this is the case, then how do the US members expect AA management to remain in Oneworld and have four tiers or are they expecting AA to leave OneWorld (which would not make financial sense) to permit the (75K) fourth tier.
not sure this is entirely accurate. For starters, BA has Bronze, Silver, Gold and GGL. (I don't see GGL as being equivalent to CK - that is BA's Premier level). QR also appears to have four levels, as does QF.

the key is I think assuring a minimum level of qualifying activity for each tier (and particularly, in the case of Emerald, the 100k EQM/EQP type of activity). Adding a fourth tier at the 75k level would be at best another tier that ties into Sapphire. Would not add a whole lot of benefit from an OW perspective for the 75k AAdvantage members were there to be a tier at that level. No way this tier would be grouped with Emerald.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by justinh20
-Yes, you'll need 2 stickers for 501 miles.
Incorrect, at least under pre-merger AA unpublished rules. Should be 1 sticker.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Questions about the stickers from a US Gold...

-If a flight is 501 miles, do I need to burn 2 500-mile stickers to get upgraded?
-When looking to redeem stickers, when I book a flight, do I need all the stickers necessary in my account at that point? Or at the point of the upgrade period a few days before the actual flight?
-If you put in an upgrade request with stickers, are the stickers withdrawn from your account immediately? Or after the flight?
-If I have a multi-segment trip, can I request the upgrade for only specific segments? Or does it have to be all of them?
Yes -- but there has historically been a "leeway" of 50 miles. So at 551 miles you will need the two stickers.

The stickers need to be in account at check-in. If there are not enough, you cannot check-in (and at the AA kiosk you will be prompted to buy only the additional stickers needed for the flights on that reservation)

Stickers are deducted at check-in. If the flight cancels, they are re-deposited.

They're never taken out unless the upgrade clears.

-If I have a multi-segment trip, can I request the upgrade for only specific segments? Or does it have to be all of them
You can pick and choose segments. Under the new rules, all segments less than 500 miles will be automatically requested, but presumably the check boxes for longer segments will remain.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Incorrect, at least under pre-merger AA unpublished rules. Should be 1 sticker.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Oh, that's good news... two stickers for 552 miles.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
So there will be Uber Elites and then the rest of the pack (gold/plat) don;t seem much different. Got to play games with stickers.

As a former DL Diamond I enjoyed near 100% UGs. As a DL Plat today I am flying in FC on 3 of 4 flights this week. I am also a a US Plat and I do pretty well in UGs and enjoyed 4 out of 6 UGs when traveling with the LadyFriend last week. That's going to be all gone.

The program does not seem attractive for those of us that fly 90+ but less than 120 segments or can each 100K miles.

I guess we US Plats got the shaft in this deal.

Wish I could say I am excited about the future but i ain't.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred; SPG Platinum
Can any AA'ers point me in the right direction on what these "Upgrade Stickers" mean? I'm currently Chairman's on US for 2014. I'll only be qualifying for US-Gold/AA-Platinum next year, however. I'm just trying to figure out what this means for me. If I fly every week or bi-weekly - what do I have to do to get upgraded? It's not automatic anymore?

Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by luckypierre
I believe they specifically address that issue in today's announcement..the program will be retained as is.
And they will combine lifetime totals to get people closer or over the any million miles levels they can. Surely these to will be combined soon. It's in the other thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...program-3.html
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
This might have been asked and answered somewhere, but I could not find it. How do you find you million miler account total in Dividend Miles?
Originally Posted by ellinj
You need to email US, its not on the website.
Very glad this was asked and answered-- was quite curious myself!

Originally Posted by 1AAFlyer
Will there be a change in lifetime ex plat or plat status?
There isn't-- and won't be-- "lifetime ex plat" so no change there.

I don't expect any major tinkering with the lifetime elite program at this time.

Nor is there any reason to expect radical award chart changes on the heels of this announcement-- as pointed out up thread that adjustment for this "cycle" was made with the introduction of more expensive AAnytime awards, etc., earlier in the year.

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dml105
I get that the former AA fliers on here are really happy that there will be almost no changes made to the system you know. But this board would be a lot more harmonious a place if people would just take a minute to realize just how awful these changes are in the eyes of the US elites here, instead of constantly trying to tell us that our inferior product just got better when there is a very clear, mathematically provable devaluation.
Fair enough; there is a very different perspective from each camp. FWIW it never occured to me that a transcon like PHL-SAN could be an easy upgrade. As an EXP I routinely end up duking it out at the gate for something like SJC-DFW so this is quite surprising.

I agree that in your situation it is a substantial devaluation.

For me the loss of F meals DFW-CLT is also a devaluation...I think there are some things that suck about the merger for both groups, and some things that are improved. Hopefully it all nets out for the FF population as a whole, sufficiently so that we don't lose a ton of HVFs to UA/DL and the merged entity succeeds.

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by dml105
No, it really is a downgrade. They used to be free, now they're $30/500 miles/person (first 28 free, if you're a US-platinum)
Switching UA to AA this was a downgrade for me as well. Sure, I was fighting in a long line as a mid-tier elite but cleared an awful lot of the time, well, on some routes -- it was more than AA's cert ratio would cover for sure.

Being forced into it would suck, no doubt, more so if you're well invested in lifetime or the particular routes serviced. I won't hit EXP (thankfully IMO) so I'm still "stuck" with certs though I do see their appeal more now than when I first jumped. You all have a real change & have to decide if this is the Airline / Program for you still. That's totally fair.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by lizs
Jordyn...what you don't realize is MANY US Platinums were getting complimentary upgrades 75% of the time, or more. That's why this will be very upsetting to them.
Honestly, there's AA EXPs that don't see that sort of upgrade rate (mine is probably not much better than 75% this year), so I think going in that's an unrealistic expectation with the merged program and a bigger base of elites.

I do agree that the biggest downgrade is probably the loss of priority over the 50-74K fliers, but US's own upgrade priority scheme would largely correct that particular problem, no? I'm not sure what I think of using BIS miles as a tie-breaker, but it is probably more sensible than date of request, which tends to favor low value fliers over high-value ones. I'd think using something like EQP would probably be the best tie-breaker to reward higher-value fliers within tiers.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by GUWonder
No changes to the AA MMer program -- at least in so far as 2MM+ customers will continue to be Platinum for the life of the program.
That's a big benefit compared to what UA did after their merger (retitled "lifetime premier executive" for million milers to "lifetime gold" and dropped the mileage bonus from 100% to 50%). They also stopped awarding two regional upgrades each year. That "ehancement" was enough for me to walk away from that carrier after 1 million BIS UA miles. Even if I hadn't left because of that, the upcoming revenue based program, awarding 11 miles per dollar at the 1K level, would have been the final knife in my back. 3,300 miles on a $300 transcon at UA, while AA is giving out 10,000 miles, would have easily made the decision for me.

I applaud AA for not messing with their lifetime programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.