Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:36 am

OK. so is there a buy up program that is available, I am going to be at 90K on US and that is not going to be equivalent to someone with 50K miles.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
As a 100 segment flyer, I unfortunately and reluctantly have started looking at alternatives. There is a very good chance that Delta is going to get my business. I need to do some more research but my colleagues get upgrades as Golds on Delta close to 100% of the time. I'm sure as a Platinum on Delta I will do okay. And I know that I will be more successful than being a Platinum on AA. This is going to be a tough choice since I will have the EXP benefits through February 2016 once I hit my 100 segments this December. I'm also at just over 90% of the way to lifetime Gold on AA as well. Choices, painful choices.

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by goldengate
Just found this Q&A under the FAQ's.... big sigh of relief (I think):
"Q:If I have an AAdvantage account and a Dividend Miles account, and my combined million mile balances allow me to reach a new million mile threshold, when will I be recognized at the new million mile level? What benefits will I receive?A:
You will be recognized as the new million mile level when the programs combine in the second quarter of 2015. When American combines the programs, all members who have reached 1 million miles will receive AAdvantage Gold status for the life of the program; members who have reached 2 million miles and above will receive AAdvantage Platinum status for the life of the program."

However the below FAQ is a little confusing as it references 3 million miles for lifetime platinum..?
"Q:Will I receive AAdvantage program rewards for prior million mile thresholds that I achieved in Dividend Miles before my million mile balances were combined together? A:
If the combination of your million miler miles allows you to reach a new million mile level when the programs combine, you will receive the benefits of that level. Any benefits you would have received for prior million mile levels will not be awarded. For example, if the combination of a member’s million mile balances allow you to reach 3 million miles, you will receive AAdvantage Platinum status for the life of the program along with 4 systemwide upgrades. Any benefits they would have received for achieving 1 million and 2 million miles in the AAdvantage program will not be awarded"

However the link they point to on Lifetime Status still references 1 and 2 mm marks for gold and platinum, respectively. WHEW.

So many of us stuck by this airline for the terrible years, and it is great to feel rewarded as their fortunes improve. Of course, I still can't find 2 F/J award tix next fall SFO to FCO, but that's another thread, ha ha ha!
My interpretation, and not confirmed with anyone, on the lifetime levels, is when merged and the USAir miles makes you cross several levels, you only get where you land, not the bonuses for all levels. If the two programs land you at 3m and your AA level was originally below 1m, you don't get the bonus of crossing 1m and 2m enroute to the 3m. At least, for now, they are keeping lifetime thresholds. I may cross 2m with the merger

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Ah, so it's the DisAAdvantage program rules. Tiers are:
  • 25k miles -- screw you
  • 50k miles -- screw you
  • 100k miles -- HAIL LORD GOD OF ALL CREATION WE PRAISE THEE

And wow is that ever a gigantic middle finger extended to the US Plats. Was going to try to hit the 85k "special dividend" tier, but now it's just as worthless as all the worthless post-50k miles I already have. Which just about goes with my feeling that AA was a worthless airline propped up by nostalgia and delusions of "premium" status.

Here's hoping all of you AA folk who begged for this get some more "changes you'll love" in 2015, and that Dougie makes all your worst nightmares come true, since at this point the only way you'll agitate for change is if you get screwed as hard as we did on the US side.
So much invective. Wow.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 869
Looks okay to me. I have no idea what the numbers look like on Segment qualifiers but 100 was bad enough... 120 seems just brutal to me. Of course, if I was based in AUS, SAT, HOU, TUL, OKC, etc. then perhaps not so bad I suppose.
It's still brutal if one is in, say, AUS. My guess is that most folks will focus on MRs rather than SRs starting next year, if they find themselves short of EP...

--woodstock
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:40 am
sgh
Suspended

Programs: AA 2 MM, AA Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by goldengate
Just found this Q&A under the FAQ's.... big sigh of relief (I think):
"Q:If I have an AAdvantage account and a Dividend Miles account, and my combined million mile balances allow me to reach a new million mile threshold, when will I be recognized at the new million mile level? What benefits will I receive?A:
You will be recognized as the new million mile level when the programs combine in the second quarter of 2015. When American combines the programs, all members who have reached 1 million miles will receive AAdvantage Gold status for the life of the program; members who have reached 2 million miles and above will receive AAdvantage Platinum status for the life of the program."

However the below FAQ is a little confusing as it references 3 million miles for lifetime platinum..?
"Q:Will I receive AAdvantage program rewards for prior million mile thresholds that I achieved in Dividend Miles before my million mile balances were combined together? A:
If the combination of your million miler miles allows you to reach a new million mile level when the programs combine, you will receive the benefits of that level. Any benefits you would have received for prior million mile levels will not be awarded. For example, if the combination of a member’s million mile balances allow you to reach 3 million miles, you will receive AAdvantage Platinum status for the life of the program along with 4 systemwide upgrades. Any benefits they would have received for achieving 1 million and 2 million miles in the AAdvantage program will not be awarded"

However the link they point to on Lifetime Status still references 1 and 2 mm marks for gold and platinum, respectively. WHEW.

So many of us stuck by this airline for the terrible years, and it is great to feel rewarded as their fortunes improve. Of course, I still can't find 2 F/J award tix next fall SFO to FCO, but that's another thread, ha ha ha!
Q:
If I have an AAdvantage account and a Dividend Miles account, and my combined million mile balances allow me to reach a new million mile threshold, when will I be recognized at the new million mile level? What benefits will I receive?
A:

I am cutting and pasting from FAQs regarding Combining Balances From AAdvantage And Dividend Miles Programs

You will be recognized as the new million mile level when the programs combine in the second quarter of 2015. When American combines the programs, all members who have reached 1 million miles will receive AAdvantage Gold status for the life of the program; members who have reached 2 million miles and above will receive AAdvantage Platinum status for the life of the program. Learn more
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by middlekingdom
OK. so is there a buy up program that is available, I am going to be at 90K on US and that is not going to be equivalent to someone with 50K miles.
There should be but it'll be far more expensive than years past on US. However, IMO if you're that close the 8 SWU's would be very worth it to me if I did international travel in Y.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by middlekingdom
I am going to be at 90K on US and that is not going to be equivalent to someone with 50K miles.
Right, you'll have 16 more upgrade certs for AA flights (and I bet "both" when the booking systems combine) and 80,000 more miles (@ the 100% bonus).

Originally Posted by lizs
There should be but it'll be far more expensive than years past on US. However, IMO if you're that close the 8 SWU's would be very worth it to me if I did international travel in Y.
And unlimited domestic upgrade opportunities.

Work has flown me >50k and <100k my entire FF life (UA and then AA). Always figured it was on me if I wanted top tier... weigh the gap vs the pros.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People seem to think this screws US plats, but how are US flyers who fly more than 75K and less than 100K more screwed than AA flyers in the same bucket?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
So to basically sum this up, US Plats are p#ssed, and all AA flyers are happy except EXP's who get there on segments. As an EXP that always qualifies on miles or points, Nice job AA!!!

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Unlimited domestic upgrades for all AA elites on AA flights less than 500 miles? Sounds like sticker upgrades are going to stay around in some form for some bit of time at least.
I believe that most AA flights under 500 miles are RJ's, usually without 1st class. Does US have many flights with 1st class, but less than 500 miles? I can't think of many.

Programs: Hhonors Silver, Aadvantage Platinum
Dividend miles will be gone. So will I. Aa is really poor compared to DM.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I'm disappointed for the US 75k fliers. I am happy about the stickerless upgrades for under 500 miles for everybody. I think the 75k should have gotten stickerless under 1000 miles, so hopefully they'll come up with some kind of "earn more stickers for free" incentive for those folks.

I am going to make EXP on segments this year. I hadn't planned on it, I decided after the June announcement about complimentary OLCI upgrades on US metal to go for it on EQM. But I picked up a couple of unexpected assignments which have been racking up the segments. Even with that, I am comfortable with requalification next year being 120 segments - I'm not going to get there because I'm a hub flier, but for a non-hub flier that's 30 trips a year.

I did hope that they were going to get away from the EQM vs. EQP divide, as it discourages people like me from buying discounted business (or BA Premium Economy) overseas fares, or for Plats from buying F when they really want it and it's economically priced.

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Lifetime Status change?

Will there be a change in lifetime ex plat or plat status?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
People seem to think this screws US plats, but how are US flyers who fly more than 75K and less than 100K more screwed than AA flyers in the same bucket?
Basically because US flyers at 75k had something and it was taken away.. AA flyers never had at anything at the point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.