Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
No surprises here: the new AAdvantage program is very similar to the old AAdvantage program, and the AA flyers are happy. Given how disparaging AA flyers are to PAR, D. y'all must be shocked that he hasn't singlehandedly ruined the once glorious AAdvantage program.
Not me, I always figured Parker and company would keep the AA program and not mess around with something that works quite well. As noted above, I do wonder how US elites will react to not having a 75K tier and thus be relegated to mid-tier 50K Platinum next spring? Particularly happy about keeping AA's upgrade program for elites, which I suspect will disappoint US elites used to unlimited instrument-free upgrades...though the >500 mile comp is a good compromise.

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
I've got to say, glad to see that next year the doom and gloom everyone thought would be coming down has relatively remained unfounded. We'll see what the integration brings in 2016.

Now if we could get some luggage tags

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by GUWonder
No changes to the AA MMer program -- at least in so far as 2MM+ customers will continue to be Platinum for the life of the program.
This would be great news and make my morning.... is that stated somewhere? I searched the entire release and the links and didn't find any mention of lifetime status.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
His true colors would have to be new colors in this case, because he has never made any truly radical changes to any frequent flyer programs that I can remember. Even when he took over US, I can't remember any huge devaluations, just a couple of aspects of the HP program folded in (like the 75K tier). Service offerings and product quality -- yes, but frequent flyer program -- no.

Whatever the future brings (2016+), I expect to be more of a response to what other airlines are doing than Parker's joy of cutting something.
And given the award travel routing allowance creativity and massive amounts of cheap mileage sales that persisted during his watch too, it's clear his eye must have been somewhere else.

About these latest announced changes to the program -- which don't seem to include a redemption-side devaluation -- it seems pretty good to me.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by bkafrick
I'm just saying... throw us US Plat members a bone. We now get nothing more (starting in 2015) flying 90 segments, than someone flying 60. I wouldnt call this a devaluation per se, just it would be nice to see *something* between 60 to 120 segments.
I assuming that upgrade priority will still be based on time of request not mileage last 12mos, so even a 90k platinum will be in the same pack as silvers for upgrade priority.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Combining loyalty programs in 2015 / new AAdvantage FFP announced 28 Oct 2014

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AA...2015/index.jsp

In the second quarter of 2015, we'll reach the next milestone on our path to integration by combining our frequent flyer programs into a single AAdvantage loyalty program. View a full timeline of events »

Here's what you can expect:

Earning elite status

The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels — AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold — and you'll still have three ways to qualify with elite‑qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Here's how qualifications will work:

Combining accounts

If you have a Dividend Miles® and an AAdvantage account, we'll combine them in the second quarter of 2015. You'll hear from us early next year with information on how to quickly and easily match your accounts online. When we combine programs, we'll move your Dividend Miles elite‑qualifying activity, award mileage balance and million mile balance into your AAdvantage account on a one‑to‑one ratio. We'll determine your elite status level by looking at your combined elite‑qualifying activity for 2014, and separately, your combined 2015 year‑to‑date elite‑qualifying activity. Learn how we'll combine your accounts »

Upgrading your experience

When our programs combine, your upgrade benefits will work differently for American and US Airways flights as we are still operating as two separate airlines. Once we have a single reservation system later in 2015, we'll adopt the American upgrade process for all flights.

Here's how your upgrade benefits will work on American Airlines marketed and operated flights:

500‑mile upgrades: Gold and Platinum members will continue to earn four 500‑mile upgrades for every 10,000 elite‑qualifying miles flown to use on flights over 500 miles or to upgrade a traveling companion. Learn about 500‑mile upgrades »

Here's how upgrades will work on US Airways marketed and operated flights:

Codeshare flights: Upgrades on codeshare flights in eligible markets will continue to be offered based on availability at check‑in. Learn about upgrades on codeshare flights »

Systemwide upgrades: Once we combine programs, systemwide upgrades can be used on any American and US Airways marketed and operated flights worldwide. Learn about systemwide upgrades »

Mileage upgrades: All AAdvantage members will be able to redeem their miles for upgrades on American and US Airways marketed and operated flights.

Benefiting on both carriers

Once we combine programs, elite members will continue to enjoy the same great benefits, including mileage bonuses, priority through the airport, free checked bags and much more. View a full listing of benefits »

Earning miles will continue to be easy. You'll still be able to earn miles by making everyday purchases and by flying. Plus, you'll be able to redeem your miles for any available seat with AAnytime® Awards on US Airways flights.

In the meantime, enjoy the following benefits before we combine programs:

Right now •Executive Platinum members receive a complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack item when traveling on US Airways flights in the Main Cabin as they do today on American
January 1, 2015 •Bonus miles on American and US Airways Business Class tickets will increase from 25% to 50% to match what you receive in First Class
•Executive Platinum members will enjoy complimentary same‑day flight changes on both airlines
For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We'll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by PA Pilot
I'm often surprised to see F and J nearly empty at times on AA and don't understand why would you let empty seats fly when you can upgrade your elites and sell more Y seats. ...
- I the past 2 years I have rarely seen empty F and J on AA. One notable exception was an early Sunday morning flight from DFW to PHL (and that was before the merger was announced). Coach was also at 50%.
The old AA would bump Elite to F and J if Y is full. Once I was bumped from Y to J on LHR-ORD flight for free when I was only AA Gold. That was >10 years ago.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:55 am

As a just re-qualified CP and a AA Plat for like these changes are quite a relief and quite welcome.

Seems to me that the ranks of Platinum will grow. I just gifted 3 US Gold memberships as I hit 150K miles so if all existing CP's do that then for the 2015 calendar year it'll be a little tough to be Plat.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
So for us US Gold/Plat needing 500 mile certs, the email says to get us started, they'll add 500 mile upgrades to our account (based on your Dividend Miles Preferred Qualifying activity). Can anyone answer preferred activity based on what? Your 2014 mileage? YTD 2015?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus(ick)
Wow, a generally good combination of programs.
Am I in the twilight zone?
I approve. Keeps AAdvantage the best IMO.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ellinj
I assuming that upgrade priority will still be based on time of request not mileage last 12mos, so even a 90k platinum will be in the same pack as silvers for upgrade priority.
You're not making me feel any better
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:59 am

The increase from 1.25 to 1.5 for business class is long overdue, but I personally think the lack of a new higher tier above EXP is a missed opportunity.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Thumbs up

Just found this Q&A under the FAQ's.... big sigh of relief (I think):
"Q:If I have an AAdvantage account and a Dividend Miles account, and my combined million mile balances allow me to reach a new million mile threshold, when will I be recognized at the new million mile level? What benefits will I receive?A:
You will be recognized as the new million mile level when the programs combine in the second quarter of 2015. When American combines the programs, all members who have reached 1 million miles will receive AAdvantage Gold status for the life of the program; members who have reached 2 million miles and above will receive AAdvantage Platinum status for the life of the program."

However the below FAQ is a little confusing as it references 3 million miles for lifetime platinum..?
"Q:Will I receive AAdvantage program rewards for prior million mile thresholds that I achieved in Dividend Miles before my million mile balances were combined together? A:
If the combination of your million miler miles allows you to reach a new million mile level when the programs combine, you will receive the benefits of that level. Any benefits you would have received for prior million mile levels will not be awarded. For example, if the combination of a member’s million mile balances allow you to reach 3 million miles, you will receive AAdvantage Platinum status for the life of the program along with 4 systemwide upgrades. Any benefits they would have received for achieving 1 million and 2 million miles in the AAdvantage program will not be awarded"

However the link they point to on Lifetime Status still references 1 and 2 mm marks for gold and platinum, respectively. WHEW.

So many of us stuck by this airline for the terrible years, and it is great to feel rewarded as their fortunes improve. Of course, I still can't find 2 F/J award tix next fall SFO to FCO, but that's another thread, ha ha ha!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ellinj
The 90k US Platinum who becomes an AA Platinum by way of this program combination will likely have more upgrade instruments than a 50k-74k US Gold who becomes an AA Plat by way of this program combination.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
...but nobody said that the new managing team was stupid.
No... just incompetent, greedy, drunk, dimwitted, foolish, no talent ***-clowns. But not "stupid." At least according to FlyerTalk.

Where are all the haters now? In hibernation until late 2015?

Originally Posted by bkafrick
I'm just saying... throw us US Plat members a bone. We now get nothing more (starting in 2015) flying 90 segments, than someone flying 60. I wouldnt call this a devaluation per se, just it would be nice to see *something* between 60 to 120 segments.
I wonder if they'll keep something like Special Dividends to toss people a few extra little perks along the way. That might be a good way to take some of the sting out of the 75k tier disappearing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.