Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Speedracer2
As a Chairman's Preferred member I get automatic upgrades for me and my wife on purchased tickets and award tickets. As I understand, this new AA program will be a real downgrade for me as I will only receive automatic upgrades for myself, and only on purchased tickets? And I will not earn any of these 500 mile coupons either, right?
I believe you are correct. Those for whom this was a key benefit will rightfully see this as a downgrade.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
A little bit off-topic but is the person in this picture on the new benefits page Freddie Prinze Jr?

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AA...ryId=undefined
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Incidentally, a 3 tier program is a massive boon for EXP/CP, and it actually helps midtiers as well. While you will have some who fly that 75,000-99,999 level who lose a few upgrades, you will see a lot more upgrades for late booking EXP/CP and a better chance for 50,000-74,999 people. With the sticker system in place, that will further depress the number of upgrades requested, and will also reward those who fly the 75,000-99,999 mile level, as they will get many more free upgrades than the lower part of the tier.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by veliger
The revenue requirements at Delta and United are minimal. If any elites cant meet them, they should never have been elite. I really find it hard to believe that anyone can plan business travel far enough ahead to get fares so cheap they can't meet the very modest $ levels needed at Delta and United.
Sounds easy (at least w/UA), right? That is, until you realize:
- Cash buy-ups and the like (most ancillaries besides E+) don't count towards the total
- Alliance partner tickets not on UA 016 ticket stock don't count (like flying those better foreign carriers? Unless you can magically get 016 stock on it, you're not getting PQD on it)
- Taxes don't count (so you're only getting ~$.90 of each dollar towards PQD
- Bulk fares (often virtually the same price as the public rate) don't count

I don't have any trouble meeting the $10K threshold, but I still don't like it
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Perspective of a US Gold: my upgrade percentage is currently outstanding, including on tough transcon routes like CLT-LAX (cleared 3 of 4 times this year) and CLT-SFO (2 of 3 times). Guessing this is because I tend to avoid peak business travel times, and much of my other travel is on leisure routes. My no-status wife often accompanies me, and the free upgrades for us both is huge. It's going to get a lot more expensive when I have to pay $30/500mi for her (every time) and me (for all but very short flights). I'll probably still take the upgrades even if I have to pay, but I can't help but feel like this is a serious devaluation.

Three questions:

Am I correct that everything will stay the same upgrade-wise until late next year when the reservations systems merge, assuming I continue to fly only US metal on US ticket stock?

I'd like to hear from current AA Plats on how they feel about the sticker upgrade system. I am happy that the devaluation wasn't much worse (e.g., revenue requirements) but I can't see how stickers benefit a mid-tier elite. The "thinning of the herd" doesn't seem to outweigh the fact that "earned" upgrade stickers accrue at an abysmally slow rate, and thus any kind of frequent upgrading will require cash.

Does the elimination of the 75k tier in the combined program substantively benefit me as a 50k tier flyer?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rikramer
I'm sure as a Platinum on Delta I will do okay. And I know that I will be more successful than being a Platinum on AA.
Good luck with that - and thanks for the seat.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:41 pm

Anyone else notice they are already referencing the 2016 program and dates extending into 2017? That for 2016 at least it is Gold and Platinum (and Exec Plat presumably) ? Do we infer there's no change in number of elite levels, it stays at 3 permanently? It appears to me they are saying that by saying the AAdvantage program is what will be taking over, not the US program

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ac...atch-email.jsp

their examples of how mileage will be combined and what status we will get:
example 1
"When we combine programs, you would receive AAdvantage Platinum status through February 2016 because it's the higher of the two. For the 2016 membership year, you would have already achieved Gold. Your elite-qualifying activity through December 31, 2015 would determine your final elite status for the 2016 membership year."

Example 2
When we combine programs, you would receive AAdvantage Platinum status through February 2017 because it’s the higher of the two.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Speedracer2
As a Chairman's Preferred member I get automatic upgrades for me and my wife on purchased tickets and award tickets. As I understand, this new AA program will be a real downgrade for me as I will only receive automatic upgrades for myself, and only on purchased tickets? And I will not earn any of these 500 mile coupons either, right?
- Yes, all is correct:
1) As CP you will be getting complementary upgrades on all North American (including Hawaii, Canada, and Caribbean) purchased tickets.
2) No free companion upgrades - you would have to use stickers.
3) No upgrades for Y awards and you cannot use SWUs or 500-mile stickers.
4) You will not be earning 500 mile coupons either.

Also, you cannot request a free upgrade only for yourself but not for your companion traveling on the same itinerary and if you split itinerary your companion will loose the benefits associated with your status.

To conclude, AA upgrade system is built to bring additional revenue from sales of 500-mie stickers. It also limits the number of upgrade requests.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mh4ll

I'd like to hear from current AA Plats on how they feel about the sticker upgrade system. ?
The sticker program has worked well for me - as my sig shows, I get more upgrades on AA than any other. Although it's not in my profile, am also a current US Gold. IMO AA is better for mid-tier elites than any of the other programs, including US.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:45 pm

Does anyone else besides me think that complimentary under 500 mile upgrades are here to stay after 2015? Would seem to be yet another huge thing to take away if they do in 2016...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by N1120A
Incidentally, a 3 tier program is a massive boon for EXP/CP, and it actually helps midtiers as well. While you will have some who fly that 75,000-99,999 level who lose a few upgrades, you will see a lot more upgrades for late booking EXP/CP and a better chance for 50,000-74,999 people. With the sticker system in place, that will further depress the number of upgrades requested, and will also reward those who fly the 75,000-99,999 mile level, as they will get many more free upgrades than the lower part of the tier.
Can I have some of what you're smoking please?

While I can see this as a small benefit of CP/EXP (even though it was still gutted to some degree). I don't think this is a boon at all for the mid tier. That said, I haven't been riding in the back as a CP even buying < T-48.

I don't call 8 500s "many more upgrades" for a 75K plus flyer than a < 75k flyer. That's not even 2 transcons. It's worse if you travel with a companion.

Bottom line is this isn't a boon for anyone, and it's a screw job if you come from US.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mh4ll
Three questions:

Am I correct that everything will stay the same upgrade-wise until late next year when the reservations systems merge, assuming I continue to fly only US metal on US ticket stock?

I'd like to hear from current AA Plats on how they feel about the sticker upgrade system. I am happy that the devaluation wasn't much worse (e.g., revenue requirements) but I can't see how stickers benefit a mid-tier elite. The "thinning of the herd" doesn't seem to outweigh the fact that "earned" upgrade stickers accrue at an abysmally slow rate, and thus any kind of frequent upgrading will require cash.

Does the elimination of the 75k tier in the combined program substantively benefit me as a 50k tier flyer?
I believe the new process kicks in in Q2 2015. In terms of other things staying the same, I would expect that your upgrade rate on those transcons will drop substantially with or without stickers. There are a lot of pmAA elites out of SFO and LAX.

Eliminating the 75k tier could help you out assuming the priority remains time of booking rather than BIS miles.

Frequent upgrading will require cash. If you are able to achieve frequent upgrades for, oh say, $150 each way on a transcon, count yourself lucky as I would expect the rate of available upgrades to drop once pmUS and pmAA elites start clearing at substantially the same window (as opposed to now where pmAA elites only get to look for upgrades at OLCI).

Just my $0.02
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by BSBD
The sticker program has worked well for me - as my sig shows, I get more upgrades on AA than any other. Although it's not in my profile, am also a current US Gold. IMO AA is better for mid-tier elites than any of the other programs, including US.
I disagree. Having experienced the 500 system under UA and dealt with comp upgrades on UA and US, I'd take the latter any day.

I was upgraded far more on both UA/CO (prior to 3/12) and US as a mid tier (or even silver) than I ever was as a mid tier with e500s on UA.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Generally pleased with the status quo for most of the AA program features, and the enhancements. However, it appears that top tier US elites will not only get their 2 SWUs at the start of the year, but another 8 when they get their AA ExecPlat account in the 2nd quarter. We ExecPlats will only get our regular 8 SWUs so will be shortchanged in the end. While I do think it is justified to give US elites a stash of 500s so they can upgrade on AA flights from day one, should ExecPlats not get an additional pair of SWUs to match what US Chairman's Preferred get?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cova
Or ask a UA Gold. And for that matter ask a UA 1K how much they get upgraded versus an AA EXP.

Plus AA doesn't do TODs, when Elites have upgrade requests.
Yup - on similar average segment lengths this year (about 1,000) I'm just over 50% now on UA as a 1K (10/19) vs. 75% (18/24) as an AA Plat. Plus, even after the food downgrades, AA food is still better IMO than UA's.

Took some time in getting used to the AA system but it's worked well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.