Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Organgrinder
My AA status was just updated to Executive Platinum but my miles have not come over yet (and SWUs and stickers haven't been posted).
+1.

0 miles, but status has been updated.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by senyah
+1.

0 miles, but status has been updated.
It's common to experience our accounts getting zeroed out during intensive batch processes. They're usually back intact.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Essentially, AA EQM are based on "base" miles ("butt in seat").

EQ Points are the multiplier AA has used for those who fly premium, as you do.

Deep discount fares earn 0.5 EQP; discounted economy earn 1.0 EQP. B, Y and premium fares earn 1.5 EQP. as class of service and status bonus miles are earned, the net for you is basically the same.

You can earn AA Platinum three ways: fly sixty segments or sufficiently to earn 50k EQM which you can currently do even flying deep discount coach, or fly as few as 33,334 miles to qualify with 50,000 Elite Qualifying Points. Net result for earning status for you? No change I can see.
Thanks JDiver and Carl for your explanations, this makes sense now. Just wasn't used to dealing with EQMs and EQPs.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ACA321
Thanks JDiver and Carl for your explanations, this makes sense now. Just wasn't used to dealing with EQMs and EQPs.
Well, at AA you deal with 3 things:

EQMs - Elite Qualifying Miles
EQPs - Elite Qualifying Points
AMs - Award Miles

All 3 of those can be different and require a separate calculation. You can get dizzy trying to figure it out.

With US DM, it was simpler - you get awarded EQMs plus a status bonus (if you have one). AA does the calculations quite differently. So, get used to the idea tnat you have to learn a new system.

P. S. I excluded segments as they are straight forward and would have added a 4th unnecessary component.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by ACA321
We've all experienced change since the merger, and we're all in for some more. Easier if we help each other through it.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:20 pm

What's the consensus - do people think they're going to push a new award chart on/near March 28th?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAWE
What's the consensus - do people think they're going to push a new award chart on/near March 28th?
Absolutely 100% no. No imminent award chart changes.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
My account has also been upgraded from Plat to EXP. I don't have the additional 500 mile certs, SWUs, or the miles transferred from US yet.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by JAWE
They've done that already. The "April Massacre" last year AAdvantage had some big changes (no advance announcement, iirc) wrought by PAR/D while he prepared the playing field for his HP - US players.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
My account has also been upgraded from Plat to EXP. I don't have the additional 500 mile certs, SWUs, or the miles transferred from US yet.
How do I check the SWU balance?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by chennaibug
Click on upgrades and if you have any they will show. If you don't, they won't.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by chennaibug
Mine doesn't even show the section discussing SWUs. I'm guessing it will show in the next 24-48 hours.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
Question on stickers

I have been Chairman Preferred at US, Gold at AA. I know that today I was re-classified as Executive Platinum at the AA site. My question: does an Executive Platinum earn miles/points towards the 500 mile upgrades? I ask for two reasons: 1) I am not sure that I will re-qualify for Executive Platinum this year; and 2) obviously I would like the stickers to upgrade companions.

Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by NJTraveler
I have been Chairman Preferred at US, Gold at AA. I know that today I was re-classified as Executive Platinum at the AA site. My question: does an Executive Platinum earn miles/points towards the 500 mile upgrades? I ask for two reasons: 1) I am not sure that I will re-qualify for Executive Platinum this year; and 2) obviously I would like the stickers to upgrade companions.

Thanks.
Nope.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by NJTraveler

Thanks.
No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.