Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Looks like the old HP FF # is finally going to get retired :-( RT
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Question Hawaii upgrade question

Originally Posted by MAH4546
It is a generalization that is likely true and that the bean counters likely used in determining the new program.

They can be used to/from Alaska, Hawai'i, Canada, Mexico, Central America, Caribbean, Bahamas and Bermuda. . .
I am interested in using 500-mi upgrades or SWUs for upgrading to Hawaii. I'm currently US Chairman and wanted to use my CP certs for a trip to Hawaii this summer but the US rule is that you can't use them until a week before the flight, by which time all the business class seats may be gone.

So here's my question:
  • Once the FF merger occurs (apparently quite soon), will I be able to lock in future upgrades on Hawaii flights with 500 mile upgrades and/or SWUs?
  • If both, what is the trade-off between using one or the other on Hawaii itineraries?

I apologize for being a newbie here (I have a small understanding of SWUs and practically no understanding about 500-mile certs), but what I want to know is if there are any special treatment for Hawaii itineraries (not so much general info about the two options, which I can read about elsewhere).
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
I am interested in using 500-mi upgrades or SWUs for upgrading to Hawaii. I'm currently US Chairman and wanted to use my CP certs for a trip to Hawaii this summer but the US rule is that you can't use them until a week before the flight, by which time all the business class seats may be gone.

So here's my question:
  • Once the FF merger occurs (apparently quite soon), will I be able to lock in future upgrades on Hawaii flights with 500 mile upgrades and/or SWUs?
  • If both, what is the trade-off between using one or the other on Hawaii itineraries?

I apologize for being a newbie here (I have a small understanding of SWUs and practically no understanding about 500-mile certs), but what I want to know is if there are any special treatment for Hawaii itineraries (not so much general info about the two options, which I can read about elsewhere).
Hawaii is not special as far as segment (500-mile) or SWU upgrades. It is special for miles+copay upgrades (higher price).

As a CP, you'll become EXP after the merger, and hence entitled to complimentary segment upgrades. Segment upgrades are only valid on flights considered domestic, and can be requested as soon as you have a reservation on hold, but won't be confirmed before the upgrade window opens at 100 hours out. The upgrade window is the earliest a segment upgrade will be confirmed, it might not happen until later, or even at the gate, if at all.

In contrast, SWUs and miles+copay both book into specific upgrade inventory (A on a two-class flight within the U.S., C on a two-class flight outside the U.S.) which might be available and hence confirmable at time of booking. So, the advantage of using SWUs or miles+copay is that if upgrade inventory is available, you can immediately confirm the upgrade. The advantage of segment upgrades is that they are free. The earlier you request a segment upgrade, the higher your priority.

You can check for upgrade inventory using expertflyer.com. Since Hawaii is in the U.S., the upgrade inventory is first class, or A.

Since SWUs can be used system-wide, many people prefer to use them only for long-haul international flights, and use miles+copay or take a risk on segment upgrades for domestic flights.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Alex_I
- No, it is not. As AA EXP I am also unable to chose some of the Y seats upfront in US without paying $ while none of the AA seats in Y would require an additional payment. Till the program merge AA and US still operate as separate entities with their own FF Program rules.
Also, on a very recent occasion it took >10 min for an AA EXP agent talking to DM desk to attach my AA number to an itinerary booked on US stock by a travel agent.
This is incorrect. US GLD, PLT and CP all get free MCE, just like AA PLTs and EXPs do. Similarly, AA elite members can choose certain seats (like exit rows and extra legroom seats) for free on US as well. Choice seats (which are random seats in the forward cabin that are just like any other seat) can not be chosen for free by anyone, regardless of which airline's FFP you're on.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Is that when the merge will start, or by when it will be complete? That's an important distinction, as it'll likely take more than a few days for the process to complete.

And is it that as of that date no more 037 tickets for awards and all 037 award tickets, if any changes are made to them, will be reissued on 001 ticket stock? Or still 037 awards reissued to 037 ticket stock, just no more wholly new bookings as 037?
With regard to asking about 037 stock tickets, etc., it's the frequent flyer programs, on/by the 28th not the single PSS happening at this juncture.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by JonNYC
With regard to asking about 037 stock tickets, etc., it's the frequent flyer programs, on/by the 28th not the single PSS happening at this juncture.
I know. But with one FFP, I would imagine that new award res can be only then done via AA on 001 ticket stock with AA rules. Not that AA FFs now get access to the much better US routing rules (stopovers) and lower costs and can use the AA miles to book US 037 tickets as awards. That is, AA miles can be only redeemed for 001 tickets, not for 037 anymore, I would think, 99.9% likely. And as no more US miles, no more 037 award tickets.

I would find it highly unlikely that after the 28th new award res can be done using the US award rules or on 037 tickets. The question is what happens to US issued awards in case they need to be reticketed: reticketed still as 037 (I would guess, makes most sense) or reticketed onto 001s (probably not until both res systems are merged, I would think, by when fewer 037 awards should be left outstanding and thus the problem be smaller).
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I take this to mean that sometime over the next few days, as a US CP, I will become a AA Exec Plat.

Any thoughts on the following scenario?:
I have an award trip booked through AA using AA miles from BOS to REC at the beginning of May.
Last night I found a good deal on a paid AA flight and put that flight on hold - the price, the BIS miles, and the opportunity to use my incoming SWUs is tempting me to cancel the award itinerary and use the paid itinerary instead.
I'm assuming the following:
If I buy the paid itinerary tonight, once I am a AA EXP (which will happen before the beginning of May), I can then cancel the award trip for no cancellation fees.
If I am traveling on a paid itinerary, I can then try to apply the SWUs once they are put in my account (assuming sometime over the next week or so).
Am I missing anything? Is there any way for me to check to see if SWU upgrades would be available on my flights before I am EXP?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jemmazee
I take this to mean that sometime over the next few days, as a US CP, I will become a AA Exec Plat.

Any thoughts on the following scenario?:
I have an award trip booked through AA using AA miles from BOS to REC at the beginning of May.
Last night I found a good deal on a paid AA flight and put that flight on hold - the price, the BIS miles, and the opportunity to use my incoming SWUs is tempting me to cancel the award itinerary and use the paid itinerary instead.
I'm assuming the following:
If I buy the paid itinerary tonight, once I am a AA EXP (which will happen before the beginning of May), I can then cancel the award trip for no cancellation fees.
If I am traveling on a paid itinerary, I can then try to apply the SWUs once they are put in my account (assuming sometime over the next week or so).
Am I missing anything? Is there any way for me to check to see if SWU upgrades would be available on my flights before I am EXP?
Thanks in advance for any help!
That seems to be a reasonable way to look at it, unless there's something completely unexpected in the works. Frankly, I dont expect that, given your trip is over a month away.

You can use ExpertFlyer (or call) to see if you can book the SWU now, or wait list. Waitlist priority is 1) status, 2) date / time of request. EF offers a trial.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT-2 MM/SPG PLT/Hyatt PLT
Will American Award reservations be available March 28?

I am waiting to book a first award from OGG to DFW which becomes available on March 28th. Will American award travel be up and running during this transition period? Will award seats be loaded as usual? I foresee many potential problems.

I must have bad luck, last year I was set to book an award flight on the same day they changed the program and increased miles for first anytime flights. What are the odds, I'd hit both dates of major changes to American program for my award bookings?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Gold
Admiral Club Question

Currently on US, if you get 150 segments in a year, you get a complimentary Club Membership. I have looked but not found any info saying this benefit will continue post-merger, so I assume that it is going away? I have hit 150 segments several times over the past 8-10 years, so it would be nice to still have this benefit.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jdvoigt
Currently on US, if you get 150 segments in a year, you get a complimentary Club Membership. I have looked but not found any info saying this benefit will continue post-merger, so I assume that it is going away? I have hit 150 segments several times over the past 8-10 years, so it would be nice to still have this benefit.
That is not a benefit of American Airlines; elite status gets you a discount on Admirals Club membership.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
That is (was) a nice benefit! I wonder if Citi simply has a lockdown on being the only one that can offer anything free related to Admirals Club. US gave day passes for being Preferred, having a US credit card, having delayed flights, etc. There were also periodic bonuses offered for joining and discounted day pass rates when booked with a flight. Seems like AA has this presented as much more of a premium product for which one must always pay.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Carl
That is (was) a nice benefit! I wonder if Citi simply has a lockdown on being the only one that can offer anything free related to Admirals Club. US gave day passes for being Preferred, having a US credit card, having delayed flights, etc. There were also periodic bonuses offered for joining and discounted day pass rates when booked with a flight. Seems like AA has this presented as much more of a premium product for which one must always pay.
Well, I think Citi has something similar. I used to have the Citi Platinum Select card years ago but downgraded it to the Bronze version that comes with no annual fee. Just recently I received an e-mail offer that if I were to spend $1,000 in 3 months, I would get 2 Admirals Club One-Day Passes. Of course, I would have to upgrade to the Platinum Select product again and pay an annual fee of $95, so I didn't do it. And I did check on Citi's website for current offerings of the card and couldn't find any with day passes being awarded, however, it seems that in certain cases (for eligible existing cardholders probably) it is a perk that they offer and unlike the Barclay's card, they give you 2 as opposed to 1 Day Pass.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Well, I think Citi has something similar. I used to have the Citi Platinum Select card years ago but downgraded it to the Bronze version that comes with no annual fee. Just recently I received an e-mail offer that if I were to spend $1,000 in 3 months, I would get 2 Admirals Club One-Day Passes. Of course, I would have to upgrade to the Platinum Select product again and pay an annual fee of $95, so I didn't do it. And I did check on Citi's website for current offerings of the card and couldn't find any with day passes being awarded, however, it seems that in certain cases (for eligible existing cardholders probably) it is a perk that they offer and unlike the Barclay's card, they give you 2 as opposed to 1 Day Pass.
Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if the Citi-provided passes allow two guests. With US, some worked that way and others didn't. I believe I still have one pass on my account (expiring at the end of this year) that's just for one person, but the one I used before that (after which point I joined the Club) permitted two guests. It's interesting seeing the melding of the different corporate cultures.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
I went to the Club to renew my membership this month and was told that you can now use miles to "pay" for your membership. As a CP I was quoted 45,000 miles to renew. This is new for us US members as that was never an option for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.