Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
I have seen the back and forth happen on this topic with a US Airways flight on US Air Metal at a US Air only airport with AA paper ... I am glad they are forcefully stating it again ...

The staff always was conflicted with the process and every time (5 attempts) they had to go to the integration desk to resolve this. Alot of times they rexecuted the ticket as a same day sale with no seat assignment, which would get me through TSA, and then the gate folks would deal with the assignment.

The best time that made me laugh was the 1st and 2nd times, where I stated that EXP was CP like, to get the "whatever" stare from the gate agent, to then be followed up by the shocked look on their face from the other line that stated take care of him since EXP matters as does CP for AA.

The key for 2014 flying was to be calm, patient, and pleasant with all of the staff, and to keep a tracking google spreadsheet with the locators, ticket numbers, flight info and what not .... I can't wait for 2015 .....

+-ADT

Originally Posted by jaimelannister
"Executive Platinum members will enjoy complimentary same‑day flight changes on both airlines"

Is this new, or just strange wording? Are they talking about confirmed flight changes, or just the usual complementary standby?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
As a current AA PLAT, I do think that the stickers are the way to go for longer flights. I tend to put in my upgrade requests based on plane type - I generally put in upgrade requests for 737 flights over 700 miles, MD-80 flights where I can't get row 21 or for something like ORD-AUS which is very close to 1000 miles, all CRJ-700 flights, and the occasional flight where it looks like I won't be able to get MCE.

My current trip is ORD-AUS-DFW-BNA-ORD. I ended up doing the following:
- put in an upgrade request for the Monday AM MD-80 ORD-AUS. Cleared at T-72
- absolutely didn't think at all about AUS-DFW. It's an hour, and I'd probably clear last and end up in 3A, which isn't worth $30 to me.
- gave some marginal though to DFW-BNA, but it looks like coach is lightly loaded so I stayed in the back and am betting on nobody sitting in 9E next to my 9D
- picked the late ERJ-140 over the 5pm-ish CRJ-700 for BNA-ORD, decided that I'd rather spend the $30 on dinner and put up with 3A on the ER4.

Total cost for the week - 2 stickers
Total EQM flown for the week - 2518
Coverage of free sticker volume - about 50%

For somebody who is say a 70k PLAT with that type of typical week, the cost per year of the sticker program is $900 per year.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
My most frequent route right now is MCI-CLT-BDL. If I'm understanding correctly, I'd need to fly 40k miles just to earn enough stickers to upgrade that once.
You're not understanding this correctly - if your profile is accurate. CP on US (which is listed in your profile) = EXP for AA. EXPs on AA do not use stickers, we get unlimited complementary domestic upgrades.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
And you still don't get it. pmUS did not require stickers to upgrade this route, and the complimentary upgrade rate was already high for US Plat and US CP. But now, the amount of flying I do in a year will get me the ability to upgrade it exactly twice, and that's only if I never try to upgrade any other flight.
pmUS had a much smaller frequent flyer program than pmUS + pmAA will (or than pmAA did all by itself). There will be many more EXPs/CPs per flight. Therefore, 75k fliers would not continue to see the same upgrade rate they do now on US with complimentary upgrades. So your argument is fundamentally flawed.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
From the perspective of an AA EXP who will re-qualify on points and/or miles, I am pleasantly surprised and pleased with what has been announced thus far. So why do I have the feeling the other shoe is going to drop soon? The lack of any indication that they will retrofit US metal with MCE makes me nervous that if for some reason I do end up in the back at some point, it will be a Spirit-like experience (except for my free drink and snack item, of course.)
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by cova
Or ask a UA Gold. And for that matter ask a UA 1K how much they get upgraded versus an AA EXP.
It really depends on your routes.

When I was on UA (now a while back), I cleared more at a platinum equivalent level that I can earn stickers for now. Of course that's just one factor in who I fly but I can totally see some US fliers getting a major devalue here (though lets not forget the inevitable influx of elites either).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Ah, so it's the DisAAdvantage program rules. Tiers are:
  • 25k miles -- screw you
  • 50k miles -- screw you
  • 100k miles -- HAIL LORD GOD OF ALL CREATION WE PRAISE THEE

And wow is that ever a gigantic middle finger extended to the US Plats. Was going to try to hit the 85k "special dividend" tier, but now it's just as worthless as all the worthless post-50k miles I already have. Which just about goes with my feeling that AA was a worthless airline propped up by nostalgia and delusions of "premium" status.

Here's hoping all of you AA folk who begged for this get some more "changes you'll love" in 2015, and that Dougie makes all your worst nightmares come true, since at this point the only way you'll agitate for change is if you get screwed as hard as we did on the US side.
We already got screwed when we inherited your F class soft product. I fail to see why most of this is a concern for you as a CP though. Most things based upon this announcement have little to no effect on top tier at either airline. If anything you may get to experience lighter loads in F with the potential to have a row to yourself. That's one great thing about stickers.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold
Could be worse...

As an AA GLD who flies STL-ORD round trip twice a month, I'm not sure what I feel about the comp. upgrades. I have no issue paying $35/sticker for my seat up front, and I haven't missed an upgrade on that route ONCE this year. I feel like my UPG percentage is gonna fall under the new rules, but all in all, this is much better than what I expected.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
[QUOTE=There is nothing "beautiful" about that. It's a strict devaluation, and I don't understand why so many people have a hard time getting it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. The reality is all good things always come to an end.

The AA system is tilted towards the Uber Elite. For the rest of GOLD and PLAT they just have to manage their stickers or cough up the dough and secure the UG. I am puzzled by the idea of valuing members between 500001 and 99999 miles as being equal.

Anywho, it was just a matter of time. I went from NWA to DL with the merger, now I am going from US to AA with another merger. Nowhere to run as I am based in PHL.

I hope the Buy Up stays in place. I will be a few segments short of 120 and be on the Uber Elite side of things for a year.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by epotx597
I have been a AAvantage member since 1987. I might also say that I live in Dallas. We had very little choice since AA ran off all its competitors at DFW and controls 95% of all flights. I have accumulated 5,778,073 miles to date. I have been Executive Platinum. I find this management very disappointing to say the lease with regard to its loyal travelers. AA had the best award program by any standards in the industry. Now it is all about revenue and to hell with the loyal member who flew exclusively on AA to gain the status and be able to travel with the earned miles (these were not given but earned miles). There were award seats on every flight and if you booked early you could book those seats or use your EVIP's at the basic award level. Not now. Every seat is being held for revenue until close to travel dates. It is all about the revenue. If you want to plan your trip to use your miles the only booking you can use the miles for is 3 times (or more) the original award travel miles. What is interesting is the awards are still available on other One World Partner Airlines with AA miles but not on AA.
bolding above is mine

This just made me laugh. It's all about profit, actually, not revenue. That's what the owners of the company expect. And really it's what the shareholders deserve.

I think today's announcement was far better than most expected before information began to leak recently. I think this management team just delivered it's loyal customers a program that is far better than its competitors' offerings. This will likely result in ongoing loyalty from current customers as well as those who see the light and jump ship from DL and UA.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by dml105
And, here's another sterling example of AA fliers throwing insults at US fliers. Now, it's AA fliers are more important than US fliers.

Flyertalk, what has happened to you?
I don't think that post was meant to be an insult - just a matter-of-fact evaluation of how the poster figures AA views their business.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by bdemaria
My most frequent route right now is MCI-CLT-BDL. If I'm understanding correctly, I'd need to fly 40k miles just to earn enough stickers to upgrade that once. Compared to right now when I get upgraded on MCI-CLT/CLT-MCI routinely and have a decent shot at CLT-BDL/BDL-CLT (granted, the last one I bought F because it wasn't terribly expensive and fit with where I thought I'd want my PQMs to be, but I'm not gonna do that every time).
You're not understanding this correctly - if your profile is accurate. CP on US (which is listed in your profile) = EXP for AA. EXPs on AA do not use stickers, we get unlimited complementary domestic upgrades.
ubernostrum really isn't understanding this correctly. Not only are stickers immaterial for CPs/EXPs, but MCI-CLT-BDL requires 4 stickers to upgrade each way (2 for each segment -- they're both between 500 and 1000 miles) for golds and platinums. You earn 4 stickers for each 10,000 miles flown, so you need to fly 10k miles to upgrade that route once, not 40k.

If you route through ORD, you will need only 2 stickers: none for MCI-ORD (403 miles) and 2 for ORD-BDL. If you route through DFW, you'll need three stickers (none for MCI-DFW; 3 for DFW-BDL). Also three stickers for MCI-PHL (1038 miles*)-BDL.

*There may be a grace period for flights less than 50 miles over a threshold, in which case flights up to 1050 miles would require only 2 stickers. Then MCI-PHL-BDL would require only two. I can't remember if the grace window was before but isn't now, never was, or still is.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I am CP this year. I will not be next year; under the pmUS program I would have been Platinum + the 85k "special dividends". Which now are next to worthless, so I'm looking at just stopping short rather than finding creative routings to hit that.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Are we serious with this? Who in their right mind would be happy in a situation when they previously got something for free, and then are told they have to pay for it?? Of course people are going to be complaining. Think of people that are used to buying Y and B class fares, too, which lose complimentary upgrades even on the AA side now.

And let's not even get into the new AA first class product. Do you really think AA Gold and Platinums are happy about shelling out money for it?? Wasn't it all the AA elites that have been loudly complaining that they are international Y class meals just served on china?
Where do you see that Y and B fares will require stickers from new-program Golds and Platinums? I see only that the clarification (alignment of programs) that they will clear within the upgrade window, but not that they will require stickers.

Non-elite members do have to burn stickers on these fares. Full coach fares are also upgradeable cheaply with RDMs.

The meal devaluations are a problem. However, I believe the message has been loudly sent to fix this. I'll still be upgrading.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:41 pm

As a non-elite with some US miles purchased earlier in the miles sales how does the AA Versus US award charts look? At a quick glance it looks like some routes are significantly more and some slightly less but generally not very different. Generally it looks like Economy is the same and Business/First are more expensive, am I reading that right? Also there are fewer regions so that could make a major difference.

On the other hand the AA rules seem massively more flexible than the US rules were. The weird restrictions on US awards seemed pointless and the new "all awards are one-way and can be combined however you please" sure sounds better.

I was hopeful that AA would mean the ability to spend miles on upgrades but the upgrade award chart seems to indicate massive copays that make them kind of pointless. The copay is more than some airlines charge for LMUs in cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.