Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by jordyn
I don't understand all the angst about the loss of the 75K tier. As I understand it, here's what US Platinum fliers got before:
  • Free upgrades at 96 hours out
  • 75% mileage bonus
  • 2 free bags and priority baggage handling
  • Reserve preferred seats
  • Some sort of priority reservations line
  • Guaranteed full-fare availability if booked 24 hours in advance
  • Priority check-in, boarding, etc.
  • No award processing or close-in fees
  • Priority standby
  • Confirmed move to an earlier flight (within 6 hours) for free
  • $400 club membership

Whereas, here's what AAdvantage Platinum gets (differences in bold/strike-through):
  • Sticker upgrades at 72 hours out
  • 100% mileage bonus
  • 2 free bags and priority baggage handling
  • Reserve preferred seats
  • Some sort of priority reservations line
  • Guaranteed full-fare availability if booked 24 hours in advance
  • Priority check-in, boarding, etc.
  • No award processing or close-in fees
  • Priority standby
  • Confirmed move to an earlier flight (within 6 hours) for free
  • $400 club membership

So it seems like you're complimentary upgrades for sticker upgrades, losing 24 hours in terms of the upgrade window, and losing the confirmed move to an earlier flight for free or to buy a full Y ticket on 24 hours notice. On the other hand, you get 25% more RDMs.

The swap from complimentary to sticker is a philosophical change more than an upgrade or a downgrade. You'll note that a lot of people on the AAdvantage side prefer it. I certainly liked being able to pick my spots when I was Platinum, knowing that I'd have a greater probability of upgrading on the flights that I really cared about. In any case, even if there was a 75K tier, this change would likely have applied so it's unrelated to the loss of the 75K level.

The other three changes (72 vs 96 hour upgrade window and loss of Move Up and buying a full Y ticket on a full flight) seem really minor to me, and probably more than offset by the bigger RDM bonus. To me all the grousing about the lack of a Platinum level seems really petty in the face of a program that appears much, much better than any other domestic option in the US for next year.
Nicely done! ^
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
I think my favorite little add-on is dropping the $75 fee for same-day flight changes for EXP. As long as there's a seat, no more standby!
Not sure if the current US rule will carryover or not but the US program only allowed a "Move-Up" to an earlier flight at no charge if the flight you wanted to change to was 6 Hours or less from your scheduled flight. Also, you couldn't move up to a confirmed flight if you were connecting to another segment which meant that the benefit was only useful if you were terminating at a hub or if you were moving up to a flight from a hub to your destination. Simply put if you were going from XXX thru a hub to YYY you couldn't leave XXX earlier to get to YYY earlier.

I hope that has all changed but we'll see. There is a thread in the US side of the forum tilted "Changes to the Move Up Program (and not for the better)" which spells out how this benefit was changed a couple years ago at US and all the loopholes required.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bhomburg
I expected worse.
Not me. I assumed the FlyerTalk extremism would be overblown, as it often is. Glad to see things aren't too different. I usually qualify on points and miles, but I feel for you 100-119 segment folks.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat
I was under the distince impression that under OneWorld member rules AA was only allowed three frequent flyer membership tiers and not four. Please correct me if this is not the case.

If this is the case, then how do the US members expect AA management to remain in Oneworld and have four tiers or are they expecting AA to leave OneWorld (which would not make financial sense) to permit the (75K) fourth tier.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by coswellnc
Not sure if the current US rule will carryover or not but the US program only allowed a "Move-Up" to an earlier flight at no charge if the flight you wanted to change to was 6 Hours or less from your scheduled flight. Also, you couldn't move up to a confirmed flight if you were connecting to another segment which meant that the benefit was only useful if you were terminating at a hub or if you were moving up to a flight from a hub to your destination. Simply put if you were going from XXX thru a hub to YYY you couldn't leave XXX earlier to get to YYY earlier.

I hope that has all changed but we'll see. There is a thread in the US side of the forum tilted "Changes to the Move Up Program (and not for the better)" which spells out how this benefit was changed a couple years ago at US and all the loopholes required.
Right now it says benefits will differ by carrier until the programs are completely merged. I guess we'll see how it all pans out, but this is still better than playing standby all the time.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by djibouti
Where do you see this? Are you sure you aren't looking at EQP?
I looked and only saw EQP.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
I don't understand all the angst about the loss of the 75K tier. As I understand it, here's what US Platinum fliers got before:
The other three changes (72 vs 96 hour upgrade window and loss of Move Up and buying a full Y ticket on a full flight) seem really minor to me, and probably more than offset by the bigger RDM bonus. To me all the grousing about the lack of a Platinum level seems really petty in the face of a program that appears much, much better than any other domestic option in the US for next year.
They are also potentially (I think this has not been made clear) losing priority over the 50k tier for upgrades (this will if the AA-type prioritization by request time is kept). This is major.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Zach1213
Not me. I assumed the FlyerTalk extremism would be overblown, as it often is. Glad to see things aren't too different. I usually qualify on points and miles, but I feel for you 100-119 segment folks.
Whaaat? There's no hyperbole on FT!!!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I am just happy that they did not change the EQM requirement, I could never make it on segments. It is going to be an interesting year to come..lets see what DP brings.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jculhane
I was under the distince impression that under OneWorld member rules AA was only allowed three frequent flyer membership tiers and not four. Please correct me if this is not the case.

If this is the case, then how do the US members expect AA management to remain in Oneworld and have four tiers or are they expecting AA to leave OneWorld (which would not make financial sense) to permit the (75K) fourth tier.
They could have 4 internally but the middle 2 would map to the same OW tier.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Questions about the stickers from a US Gold...

-If a flight is 501 miles, do I need to burn 2 500-mile stickers to get upgraded?
-When looking to redeem stickers, when I book a flight, do I need all the stickers necessary in my account at that point? Or at the point of the upgrade period a few days before the actual flight?
-If you put in an upgrade request with stickers, are the stickers withdrawn from your account immediately? Or after the flight?
-If my upgrade doesn't clear, do they put the stickers back in my account?
-If I have a multi-segment trip, can I request the upgrade for only specific segments? Or does it have to be all of them?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I am not sure why there are any surprises here. AA announced at the beginning of the year that US Dividend Miles accounts would be moved to the AA Advantage Program in 2015. I interpreted that to mean that the AAdvantage was the combined FF program. All we have here is a few tweaks - like no stickers for <500 miles. But pretty much AAdvantage as it currerntly is (with a few enhancements).

The US Dividends Miles program is going away as it was announced almost a year ago.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Also being discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
The swap from complimentary to sticker is a philosophical change more than an upgrade or a downgrade.
No, it really is a downgrade. They used to be free, now they're $30/500 miles/person (first 28 free, if you're a US-platinum). So whereas before, when I wanted to fly say PHL-SAN up front, all I had to do was buy the coach ticket (because that was a very gettable upgrade), and I could get the upgrade every time I flew. Now, that round trip is going to use up 10 of my upgrades. So, three trips in, and they're all gone. So, how can it be considered anything other than a downgrade in benefits when I used to be able to get upgrades on as many PHL-SAN trips as I wanted, but now I'm limited to 3 unless I pay? And since the roundtrip requires 10 of those stickers, the price just went up $300.
You'll note that a lot of people on the AAdvantage side prefer it. I certainly liked being able to pick my spots when I was Platinum, knowing that I'd have a greater probability of upgrading on the flights that I really cared about.
What gets me is that I have no idea why people think they the upgrade THEY really cared about would be any different from the upgrade that everyone else really cared about. Are you going to be saving your upgrades for PHL-ORF or for PHL-SAN? Or literally any short-haul over literally any red-eye?

I get that the former AA fliers on here are really happy that there will be almost no changes made to the system you know. But this board would be a lot more harmonious a place if people would just take a minute to realize just how the US flier feels about these changes. Instead of constantly trying to tell us that our inferior product just got better when there is a very clear, mathematically provable devaluation.

Last edited by dml105; Oct 28, 2014 at 10:28 am
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:20 am

I've qualified on segments the last to years, but this segment change will just make me move my flying to EQM instead. It's not a big deal for me.

On the other hand, not having the program gutted is great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.