Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2023, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by tlglenn
Btw I received what appears to be a targeted promo (and the T&C language indicates that some Citi cardholders will receive it too). One extra RDM and one extra LP per dollar spent on eligible AA purchases that post to the billing statement by November 30 so long as the mileage from the purchases post to AA by December 31. Registration deadline for the promo is November 6. Could be a toss-up for certain people who normally use AMEX for the 5x bonus depending on individual circumstances.

There is actually a dedicated thread for that offer:

Promo: Additional 1 LP and 1 RDM per eligible $ AA spend on AA credit card
Old Nov 2, 2023, 10:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by italdesign
Has Barclay stopped including SUB confirmation in the mailed letter? For as long as I remember, they've included that info. Did not see it in my new Aviator Red letter.
To kind of answer my own question, I just saw Barclay's bonus tracker, it clearly states the SUB and has a progress tracker. Very nice, assuming WYSIWYG.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 10:28 am

I was looking at the upgrade last night and it said I would loose the benefits of my current card (Red) until the account is upgraded. It listed the upgrade date as 11/17, which I guess is the next billing cycle. It also states the card will take 7-10 days to arrive. I have a flight scheduled for 11/25 that was originally booked with the existing Red card, will I have the benefits by my flight such as preferred boarding and the $25 food credit? Would I need the Silver hard in hand for the trip or would it matter since the account # doesn't change?
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott BonvAnnoyed
P2 and P3 both received upgrade to silver offer while not spending anything since getting the Red card back in June 2023. While, I am trying to reach Plat Pro (using platinum instant pro via targeted offer) and spending considerable amount of $$$ ($5k or so on the Red card each month for the past couple of months), I got ZERO offers not even 10K referral offer. Barclays works in mysterious ways, indeed!
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:45 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ali7204
P2 and P3 both received upgrade to silver offer while not spending anything since getting the Red card back in June 2023. While, I am trying to reach Plat Pro (using platinum instant pro via targeted offer) and spending considerable amount of $$$ ($5k or so on the Red card each month for the past couple of months), I got ZERO offers not even 10K referral offer. Barclays works in mysterious ways, indeed!
I’m in the same boat. Opened the card in March and have spent almost $80k on it - but still waiting for Silver upgrade offer.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 7:43 am

I just received the upgrade to silver offer today...via the web (but didn't see it on the app). It was exactly one year (+/- a day) from when he card was opened.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 4:40 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by uncflyer16
I just received the upgrade to silver offer today...via the web (but didn't see it on the app). It was exactly one year (+/- a day) from when he card was opened.
My card opening date was 2/27. If I receive the upgrade offer and accept on 2/28, will that trigger the spend bonuses immediately so they count for the 2023 qualification year? And will I be eligible for the additional companion certificate since I spent over $50k on my Red before conversion?
Old Dec 8, 2023, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by ymx
My card opening date was 2/27. If I receive the upgrade offer and accept on 2/28, will that trigger the spend bonuses immediately so they count for the 2023 qualification year? And will I be eligible for the additional companion certificate since I spent over $50k on my Red before conversion?
I can't answer how they will treat that. But keep in mind that the companion certificate criteria is based on calender year spend, and the bonus LP thresholds are based on elite qualification year spend.

Edit: I think I was wrong on the companion certificate's criteria. When going through the T&Cs for the Silver card (for a different subject matter), the language indicates that the 20K in spend is based upon the membership year, not calender year. I was confused because my "tracker" for this is from 1/01 through 12/31. Which now makes sense because my card anniversary is in December.

But in regards as to why I was going through the T&Cs... does anyone with the Silver card have any experience with an authorized user, and if their card will count for the daily $25 on-board F&B credit?

Last edited by Fanjet; Dec 19, 2023 at 11:58 pm
Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Do the 75k bonus points given at the start of the account (60k primary + 15k authorized user) count towards loyalty points?
Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:56 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Do the 75k bonus points given at the start of the account (60k primary + 15k authorized user) count towards loyalty points?
no. none of the SUBs give LPs
Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:42 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
No, they are only redeemable miles.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 9:17 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Does anyone know is the travel insurance on the Red card still offers coverage on award tickets? Are Chase cards like CSR or RC still better than Red or Silver? https://freequentflyerbook.com/blog/...urance-benefit

Last edited by frank_10b; Dec 29, 2023 at 9:22 pm
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:44 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by frank_10b
Does anyone know is the travel insurance on the Red card still offers coverage on award tickets? Are Chase cards like CSR or RC still better than Red or Silver? https://freequentflyerbook.com/blog/...urance-benefit
From their guide to benefits "provided the entire cost of a passenger fare(s), less redeemable certificates, vouchers or coupons, has been charged to your Barclaycard World MasterCard account".
I'm assuming you would be covered on an award ticket. I'm not aware of any travel insurance that does not cover you on an award ticket, and would love to learn if this is wrong.

Regardless, to me its moot. all my airfare goes on CSR, as i would much rather have the best coverage AND 3x URs than 2x AA miles. (Same general thesis if you have Amex Plat)
Now that the executive card is 4x AA miles, and has (not great) travel protections, its something to consider. But given how easy it is to acquire RDM's/LPs through hotels/shopping, i don't think i can get away from CSR for airfare...
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Possible data point: I’ve had the Aviator Biz card for about 3 years. Opened the Red card in September and have put just over 30K on it. Called Barclay’s yesterday to cancel the Business card and then asked if I could get an invite for the Silver upgrade, and was approved. I know the consensus is that one has to have Red for a year before the Silver offer. I’m thinking that having any Aviator card in their folio for a year can get the Silver offer?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:21 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Originally Posted by Tack
Possible data point: I’ve had the Aviator Biz card for about 3 years. Opened the Red card in September and have put just over 30K on it. Called Barclay’s yesterday to cancel the Business card and then asked if I could get an invite for the Silver upgrade, and was approved. I know the consensus is that one has to have Red for a year before the Silver offer. I’m thinking that having any Aviator card in their folio for a year can get the Silver offer?
I applied for the Red at the end of June and then was invited for the Silver in October, but I've had a non-Aviator Barclays card for many years.
Tack likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.