Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 9:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Does anyone know for the Silver's companion pass, what fare type do they require you to book? I'm guessing it wouldnt work with basic economy fares?
It's actually only available on Economy seats. Basic Economy should still qualify, but I can't say what would happen to the cert if the trip was cancelled or for whatever reason you ran into the restrictions that BE implies.

There's a whole thread about the Companion Certificates here: Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate
zzrayzz likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:07 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ymx
I received my Red card last year on 2/27/23 and have spent over $50K on it. I have yet to be offered the Silver upgrade.

I assume it’s a lost cause to ever receive the 15K bonus LPs upon conversion at this point if I’m offered the upgrade because it will be too late as the spend on the card happened in the last qualification period.

Bummed, but correct me if I’m wrong. Seems crazy that there are data points of people being offered the Silver upgrade after 3 months and yet I’ve had it for a year and no upgrade offer.
Well low-and-behold I was offered my Silver upgrade today, March 1, the first day of the new qualification year, basically preventing me from getting the bonus LPs for my $50K in spend over the last 12 months! Probably my fault for opening the card at the end of February 2023! I already reached Exec Platinum, but the additional LPs would have potentially helped with my rolling total for upgrade priority.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Did anyone get that 5,000 mile offer from Nov/Dec/Jan yet?

I also got my silver “invitation” but my safari browser froze on my iPhone and now it’s gone on all browsers 😂 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: AA
On aa hotels booking page, i see that elite members with a cc would get a bonus. Do all barclays aa card qualify for that? I am thinking of applying for one of aa cards but not sure which card to get and I have hotels booking coming up soon.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sony2012
On aa hotels booking page, i see that elite members with a cc would get a bonus. Do all barclays aa card qualify for that? I am thinking of applying for one of aa cards but not sure which card to get and I have hotels booking coming up soon.
You can only apply for one Barclays AA card - the Red Aviator card.

The Silver Aviator is available to some Red members as an upgrade. The No-AF Aviator is available to some Red members as a downgrade (I was declined when I asked for a downgrade a couple years ago). The business card has apparently been discontinued for new applications.

And yes, the Red Aviator card does qualify for increased AA Hotels earnings. Presumably all the other Aviator cards would, too, count, but I have no experience with them.

If you are interested in Citi cards, even the low-end No-Fee MileUp card qualifies.
sony2012 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:39 am

I've been offered the upgrade for years now, and I don't spend much on Aviator Red. Silver doesn't seem worthwhile to me, but I seem to be in the minority. I also have their free card, but it's rarely used. Was able to get the annual fee waived on Avaitor Red when the fee last hit.
JMN57 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by airb330
Did anyone get that 5,000 mile offer from Nov/Dec/Jan yet?
Nope. Showed up this weekend (March 10th).

I also got my silver “invitation” but my safari browser froze on my iPhone and now it’s gone on all browsers 😂 🤷🏻‍♂️
Barclays

Last edited by Biggie Fries; Mar 10, 2024 at 7:46 am Reason: Surprise, surprise -- it showed up!
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Stockjock
I've been offered the upgrade for years now, and I don't spend much on Aviator Red. Silver doesn't seem worthwhile to me, but I seem to be in the minority. I also have their free card, but it's rarely used. Was able to get the annual fee waived on Avaitor Red when the fee last hit.
No idea how the give the offers. I spent quite a bit on the Red. But no offer to silver. No offer for annual fee waived. So I canceled it. As I’m AA gold. Don’t need the Red benefits. Was offered the downgrade to white. But I already have another free white card
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
I called to cancel my Aviator Red last week when the annual fee was due. No option for waiver, downgrade, retention of any sort - they just closed it.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Pinned
I called to cancel my Aviator Red last week when the annual fee was due. No option for waiver, downgrade, retention of any sort - they just closed it.
I had to push a bit for the fee waiver. It wasn't something they offered. But I know that many cards won't waive the fees these days.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Slightly OT, but could anyone suggest the best way to escalate a chronic issue with my Silver card to higher levels beyond the call center representatives? Perhaps some kind of executive office type of contact? Twitter was unhelpful.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by moe8555
Slightly OT, but could anyone suggest the best way to escalate a chronic issue with my Silver card to higher levels beyond the call center representatives? Perhaps some kind of executive office type of contact? Twitter was unhelpful.
No experience, but perhaps the contacts on this page can help?

https://www.elliott.org/company-cont...arclaycard-us/

(I love the title of the second listed contact... "Leadership and Management Apprentice"... is that on their business card, too?)
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:08 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
No experience, but perhaps the contacts on this page can help?

https://www.elliott.org/company-cont...arclaycard-us/

(I love the title of the second listed contact... "Leadership and Management Apprentice"... is that on their business card, too?)

so strange after years and years of outsourced csr all I got last month after repeated calls was usa based csr. so strange!
Majuki likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:10 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
when you transfer to the silver from the red do you loose the $25 of unspent wifi credit?
is there any way to buy wifi on an upcoming flight and get it reimbursed by Barclay Red cc?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:25 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sony2012
Yes, the Red card qualifies you for the bonus. That (and spend credit) are exactly the reasons I got a Red card last October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.