Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
I just received the Silver upgrade offer after 3 mos with Red. I accepted, and the Silver benefits take effect on 2/17. I’ve already spent $20k on Red, so does that mean I will receive an additional 5k LPs before the end of the current status year? I’m on an Instant Pass and have already qualified for EP in the current period, which ends 2/6. So while the additional LPs won’t mean anything to me for the official status year that’s ending, they would help for the next IP phase.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Question on LPs coming out of card spend that qualify for current year - is the cut off include any spend in the statement ending in February, or is it the last day of February? My monthly statement date is around 8'th, have 10k to go to quality for PP, and have a large discretionary purchase to make, thinking if I should make sure and do it before the monthly statement date.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Question on LPs coming out of card spend that qualify for current year - is the cut off include any spend in the statement ending in February, or is it the last day of February? My monthly statement date is around 8'th, have 10k to go to quality for PP, and have a large discretionary purchase to make, thinking if I should make sure and do it before the monthly statement date.
Last day of February.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I got the Red card in December and am waiting for (and considering upgrading to) the Silver card. One benefit I would be interested in this the 5k LP bonus for $20k in spend.

The Wiki says:

"Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. "

It seems to take about 3 months for a Silver upgrade offer to appear, so assume I am upgrading in March. Will spend that I am putting now - in February - on the Red card count towards the $20k for 5K LP? My reading of the wiki is that the $20k counter gets reset on 3/1/2024, so it wouldn't count, but there is some controversy about on one of the blogs recently that appears unresolved. I have some spend I would be willing to put on the card now if it counted, but if not, would probably put it elsewhere as I don't need additional regular credit card spend LPs before 2/29.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott BonvAnnoyed
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I got the Red card in December and am waiting for (and considering upgrading to) the Silver card. One benefit I would be interested in this the 5k LP bonus for $20k in spend.

The Wiki says:

"Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. "

It seems to take about 3 months for a Silver upgrade offer to appear, so assume I am upgrading in March. Will spend that I am putting now - in February - on the Red card count towards the $20k for 5K LP? My reading of the wiki is that the $20k counter gets reset on 3/1/2024, so it wouldn't count, but there is some controversy about on one of the blogs recently that appears unresolved. I have some spend I would be willing to put on the card now if it counted, but if not, would probably put it elsewhere as I don't need additional regular credit card spend LPs before 2/29.
I don't know much about your original inquiry but as for the upgrade offer (to appear in 3 months time) is not always true. I have few cards in my family, Wife and Dad's upgrade offer appeared in 3-4 months time with no spending at all. I am still waiting for the offer though after spending almost $20K in the first few months of card approval. I have stopped spending and let's see if the offer appears on my account (so far 30 days or so, I haven't put a single dime on this card).
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:45 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
My reading of the wiki is that the $20k counter gets reset on 3/1/2024, so it wouldn't count, but there is some controversy about on one of the blogs recently that appears unresolved.
The T&C always seemed pretty clear to me, the counter resets on 3/1 every year, I'm not familiar with any controversy.

Also, once you have the Silver card, there is a counter on the website that makes it clear where you stand, note the dates on the counter:

I mean, there really isn't much left to guess.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Beckles
The T&C always seemed pretty clear to me, the counter resets on 3/1 every year, I'm not familiar with any controversy.

Also, once you have the Silver card, there is a counter on the website that makes it clear where you stand, note the dates on the counter:

I mean, there really isn't much left to guess.
Thanks, that is indeed clear. Cards back in the sock drawer for a few weeks.

Originally Posted by ali7204
I don't know much about your original inquiry but as for the upgrade offer (to appear in 3 months time) is not always true. I have few cards in my family, Wife and Dad's upgrade offer appeared in 3-4 months time with no spending at all. I am still waiting for the offer though after spending almost $20K in the first few months of card approval. I have stopped spending and let's see if the offer appears on my account (so far 30 days or so, I haven't put a single dime on this card).
Thanks for that data point.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:35 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks, that is indeed clear. Cards back in the sock drawer for a few weeks.

Thanks for that data point.
I’m still waiting almost a year. My 12th monthly statement will be issued on Feb. 17. What are the chances that triggers the silver offer?

Last edited by ymx; Feb 14, 2024 at 7:18 am
Old Feb 16, 2024, 6:41 pm

Just got Silver upgrade offer! :)

The Wiki says:

Anyone know the answer to above?

My situation and the reason I ask,
I've had the red card since October 24th, 2023. I just saw the silver upgrade offer today 2/16/24! Seems to be about 90-100 days since account opening. I've spent enough to reach the $20k threshold for the 5,000 LPs. Anyone know if I accept now (says will be effective 2/25/24) if whether or not that 5000 LPs are for the AA 2023 earn year? I'd ideally like to upgrade on March 1st and have those 5000 LPs count for next year, even if the spend starts over.

Any one know if the upgrade offer is good for the next 2 weeks? I would have to assume so to allow people to check their mail. Hate to risk it though. Red the terms of the upgrade, the extra $100 annual fee is worth it, and they won't charge it until Oct 2024.

Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ImJGalt2
I've spent enough to reach the $20k threshold for the 5,000 LPs. Anyone know if I accept now (says will be effective 2/25/24) if whether or not that 5000 LPs are for the AA 2023 earn year? I'd ideally like to upgrade on March 1st and have those 5000 LPs count for next year, even if the spend starts over.
Presumably it’s this qualification year if you reached the 20k before 2/29. But then the clock would start anew and you’d have another chance at 5000 LP for next year starting with any spend from 3/1 onwards. At least that is how I understand it.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 7:58 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I received my Red card last year on 2/27/23 and have spent over $50K on it. I have yet to be offered the Silver upgrade.

I assume it’s a lost cause to ever receive the 15K bonus LPs upon conversion at this point if I’m offered the upgrade because it will be too late as the spend on the card happened in the last qualification period.

Bummed, but correct me if I’m wrong. Seems crazy that there are data points of people being offered the Silver upgrade after 3 months and yet I’ve had it for a year and no upgrade offer.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by ymx
I received my Red card last year on 2/27/23 and have spent over $50K on it. I have yet to be offered the Silver upgrade.

I assume it’s a lost cause to ever receive the 15K bonus LPs upon conversion at this point if I’m offered the upgrade because it will be too late as the spend on the card happened in the last qualification period.

Bummed, but correct me if I’m wrong. Seems crazy that there are data points of people being offered the Silver upgrade after 3 months and yet I’ve had it for a year and no upgrade offer.
My experience last year:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd
I got the Red card in December 2021 and upgraded to the Silver in January 2023. I'm not sure when I was initially offered the upgrade. I just happened to look and it was available. I just passed $40k spend last week and I did receive the two 5000 LP spend bonuses. The second 5000 LP bonus posted on Feb 27.

FYI, it takes a full statement period for the Silver card to be activated. I was accepted for the upgrade in January but the card (and its benefits) were not available until the beginning of my next statement period in February.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:50 am
ymx

Originally Posted by BahamaTodd
My experience last year:
yes but you got the bonus LPs because your upgrade happened within the current qualification year. If I do get the upgrade it will be in the next qualification year so my prior spend on the Red card won’t count.

Last edited by ymx; Feb 29, 2024 at 4:01 pm
Old Feb 29, 2024, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I noticed an upgrade offer in my account. I got the card 5 months ago and only did the single, initial purchase for the SUB.

I had the Silver card until I closed the account in November 2022.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Does anyone know for the Silver's companion pass, what fare type do they require you to book? I'm guessing it wouldnt work with basic economy fares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.